So i want to import a japanese wii...but...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Narutoball, Dec 23, 2007.

Dec 23, 2007
  1. Narutoball
    OP

Newcomer Narutoball Member

United States
    So yea..i want to import a japanese wii since i really cna't be bothered to deal with modchips anymore and there are alot of games i want to play. But see i live in europe and out voltage is 240 while japans is 110v...i think. But can anyone give me any information on what type of converter i would need? I mean i know i would need a japanese to EU plug socket changer but i'm guessing i will need something else for the voltage? Does anyone have any information on the problem?

thanks

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Buy a 3rd party Wii power supply. They all step down to 12V anyway (AFAIK)

I've run a Japanese Wii off my (UK) power supply fine.

3. ricadoe

Newcomer ricadoe Advanced Member

Malaysia
    Can you please kindly what japan games which really attract you to buy a japan wii? Of course, unless you understand japanese and then getting a japan wii is no problem for you. But for me, I've been regretting of getting one because I couldn't understand japanese at all. If you can tell me what games are better off in japanese or only exclusive for japan wii, I might just get hold of those games.

Thanks a lot.

4. arctic_flame

United Kingdom
    Many imports work fine.

5. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    I just really liked this [​IMG]

Sadly, I can't think of one game that I actually want to play and that doesn't require some Japanese language knowledge. Even DQ Swords (which is out in the U.S. now, right?) and the new Chocobo's Dungeon game require some text. The only game I think you could get by on is Mario and you can get that in English anyway.

I am debating on getting a Wii here, but not because of the language - between Oblivion, FFTA-2, and work, I probably don't have time for one.

6. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    No, DQ Swords isn't out in the U.S. Wasn't it announced way back in 2006 though?

7. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    I think I might have read that it finally got a release date. In either case, it's not too hard, but a lot of the directions on where to go next are in written or said in Japanese (I was watching a friend play and he just went into the first dungeon or so).

Anyway, a lot of the import games have translations, at least barebones ones (if not better), on gamefaqs, which may be of some help to ricadoe.

8. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless I'm mistaken, you're going to have bigger problems than your power supply. You'd better make sure whatever screen you're hooking your wii up to can take an NTSC signal or the 480p component signal (Which is a form of NTSC anyway, afaik)

9. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    ^ That's definately the smaller problem, nearly all TVs that exist in Europe (...uhm, why is his flag USA when he clearly stated he's from Europe?) can display 60Hz and NTSC signals perfectly fine.

10. arctic_flame

United Kingdom
    Only American TVs don't support every type of input. European TVs will spit out most signals.

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Correct, extremely few retail TVs ever sold in the US support 50hz. I've never knowingly encountered one.

12. Narutoball
    OP

Newcomer Narutoball Member

United States
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. Also i import japanese games for other systems very often and do have a good knowledge of japanese.

Thanks for everyones input. it is greatly appreciated.