Homebrew So I installed arm9loaderhax... What's next?

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received a hand-me-down 3DS which I kept for over a yearr and did nothing with it til now. Had to buy a charger first, which I got one from China off ebay for $2 and had to wait 18 days for it to arrive (no worries, I'm patient). I charged the 3DS for a day and a half and I just finished installing arm9loaderhax after following this guide here to the "T". What I wanna know is what can I do with this puppy in regards to installing custom homebrew/emulators now that I got this 'glorified' custom firmware installed? I'm pretty sure u guys are aware that the possibilities maybe endless, but being that I have only been used to carts like Acekard2i which I used for my NDS Lite this is uncharted territory for me. I been away from the DS homebrew scene since 2014 and I would like to become more familiar with what's the latest cool stuff A9LH has to offer. Any thoughtful/helpful suggestions, ideas, or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It all depends on your reasons for getting custom firmware. If you want games or an easy way to get your physical games on your 3ds then freeshop is decent.

Myself, I use 3dscontroller (I think 0.72 is the newest) to use the 3ds as a joypad to play games on the pc.

There's ftpd which let's you transfer files (better for small files) between your pc and microsd/sd card without taking it out.

A recent and interesting addition is TWLoader which let's you run DS games, but far from all games run perfectly.

I also like being able to backup my saves with FBI too.

Oh, and you can get TLoZ Four Swords Anniversary Edition.

I just listed the few things I use. There's tons of more stuff that other people can recommend.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: BADDINOROX99

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Getting a working emu for GBA/NES/SNES/Gens/DS would be a start... Also are there any for N64 or PSX?
I don't really know about emu for N64, but PSX is in the works with Retroarch. I haven't tested them, but I believe they still have a certain way to go before being recommendable.

For GBA there's VC injection, which isn't emulation since the 3ds has the hardware needed. There are emulation options too, but most people prefer gba vc.

Nes/snes/gens can all be injected too (as far as I know) or just downloaded with freeshop, which is basically the eshop just for free.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting a working emu for GBA/NES/SNES/Gens/DS would be a start... Also are there any for N64 or PSX?
Like @Zense said, injecting is your best option to play NES/GBA/GB(C) games. Although you didn't specify what type of 3DS you have. If you have a N3DS, then you are fine with any type of injection. If you have an O3DS, then you will need a SNES emulator. There is a nice SNES emulator that you can install as a CIA (I forgot the name) and it works pretty well.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like @Zense said, injecting is your best option to play NES/GBA/GB(C) games. Although you didn't specify what type of 3DS you have. If you have a N3DS, then you are fine with any type of injection. If you have an O3DS, then you will need a SNES emulator. There is a nice SNES emulator that you can install as a CIA (I forgot the name) and it works pretty well.
for O3ds, you can use either blargsnes or snes9x. snes9x runs better in general, but some games run better on blargsnes.

also, for the OP, do whatever you want with it. Explore this forum if you can't think of anything.

Reactions: Zense and Stephano

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well if you want to play your GB(C) and NES games stretched in widescreen, then I'd recommend emulators, those 8-bit emulators run without a problem on the 3DS. And PocketSNES plays most SNES games including ones you can't inject due to special chips like Yoshi's Island, Kirby Superstar, and Mario RPG. I personally have a combination of all my favorite old games as VC titles, but also have emulators to play all the games that either can't be injected or just don't rank among my all time favorites.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are the best for O3DS with CFW:
(I use emulators over VC injects when I can)
GBA - VC injects
NES - Retroarch QuickNES(cia) or VC injects
SNES - Snes9x by bubble2k16(cia) or blargSNES VC injects(for games that don't run on Snes9x)
Genesis - Retroarch picodrive(cia) or VC injects
DS - TWLoader(still a WIP but it's progressing nicely)
There's a N64 emulator(CTR64) being worked on(or trying to be). https://github.com/machinamentum/CTR64/issues/5
And as for PSX you need a N3DS.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received a hand-me-down 3DS which I kept for over a yearr and did nothing with it til now. Had to buy a charger first, which I got one from China off ebay for $2 and had to wait 18 days for it to arrive (no worries, I'm patient). I charged the 3DS for a day and a half and I just finished installing arm9loaderhax after following this guide here to the "T". What I wanna know is what can I do with this puppy in regards to installing custom homebrew/emulators now that I got this 'glorified' custom firmware installed? I'm pretty sure u guys are aware that the possibilities maybe endless, but being that I have only been used to carts like Acekard2i which I used for my NDS Lite this is uncharted territory for me. I been away from the DS homebrew scene since 2014 and I would like to become more familiar with what's the latest cool stuff A9LH has to offer. Any thoughtful/helpful suggestions, ideas, or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.
get your reading glasses and a snack ready . . .
Helpful 3DS homebrew threads/links! (Always updating!)

Last edited by wormdood,

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the o3DS

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I installed snes9x_3ds.cia thru FBI and played 2 roms, DKC and MK2. In DKC, I noticed that the FPS dipped twice on the first level during gameplay but that's a/b it. I put that to the side and tried out MK2. MK2 had a problem with audio: some sounds would extend further past its threshold compared to what I remember from playing it on the original as well as PC emulation. Aside from that some images shown glitches but I can't complain. Snes9x for 3DS can do more than SNEmulDS could do for my DS Lite. Hope the devs continue to optimize more for it. Can anybody point me to the right guide on VC injection for NES, Gens, SNES, GB/GBA. Thanks

Last edited by urbanman2004,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So far I installed snes9x_3ds.cia thru FBI and played 2 roms, DKC and MK2. In DKC, I noticed that the FPS dipped twice on the first level during gameplay but that's a/b it. I put that to the side and tried out MK2. MK2 had a problem with audio: some sounds would extend further past its threshold compared to what I remember from playing it on the original as well as PC emulation. Aside from that some images shown glitches but I can't complain. Snes9x for 3DS can do more than SNEmulDS could do for my DS Lite. Hope the devs continue to optimize more for it. Can anybody point me to the right guide on VC injection for NES, Gens, SNES, GB/GBA. Thanks
So I take it you have an Old 3DS and not the new since you didn't choose to use Vc injection? DKC is officially on vc. I can't see why MK2 would be difficult to inject either

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I take it you have an Old 3DS and not the new since you didn't choose to use Vc injection? DKC is officially on vc. I can't see why MK2 would be difficult to inject either
I responded to Stephano that I have the o3DS. Was hoping I could get some direction on how to inject VC for those consoles

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by urbanman2004,

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup you can alternatively just install the corresponding emulator and simply direct it to the rom after loading . . . but some people find doing this annoying/ugly hence vc injects
Lol... U say annoying/ugly, I beg to differ. I'm lazy so that's the more easier approach I'm used to which I don't mind one bit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: