SNES Mouse in Need of Help

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Wellington2k, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Hello!

I recently bought Mario Paint with an SNES Mouse. It was all working fine when, suddenly, while moving the mouse over the Y-axis, the mouse would become jittery and skip along the screen. I tried cleaning the ball inside and the rollers, but to no avail. So I tried moving the rollers with my finger. The X-axis worked fine, but the Y-axis still is jittery. Something must be wrong with the one roller.

Any help?

EDIT: Now the Y-axis just moves very slowly.

2. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it is very easy for little bits of dust to form lines of dust and wrap around the rollers. i used an eraser to clean out everything and then compressed air to finish the job.

-another world

3. zxieus

zxieus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Wiltshire
    The problem lies with the encoder. You need to disassemble the mouse (2 screws at the front) and check the encoder wheels they sit at the end of the rollers and pass through the encoders giving the mouse movement (use a flat bladed screwdriver at the end of the axle) make sure they have clean and unblocked slots in the wheels and that theres no dust build up in the sensors. Also make sure that the rollers move freely by cleaning the axles

4. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Well, I just took the whole thing apart and cleaned the rollers, the sensors and everything else. Nothing changed.
    Anything else to try?

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To verify if this is a matter of the ball, the rollers or some internal damage, I'd remove the rubber ball from the mouse and manipulate the rollers manually. If the axis jitters as well then it might be simple wear and tear on the mechanical parts, if not then the rubber ball must've changed its characteristics as time passed and no longer rolls the rollers as it's supposed to. ;)

6. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    It does the same thing without the ball.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In that case, follow zxieus's advice and make a more in-depth search for the source of your problem - cleaning the rollers alone won't do, it seems.

8. zxieus

zxieus Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Wiltshire
    Move it around with the top off to make sure that the rollers are moving freely if they are spinning properly it is possible that you have a bad or dirty sensor, try wedging some cotton wool in there with a cocktail stick to clean the gaps

Sounds like a Bad sensors/encoder though probably needs replacing