SNES Games

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently I felt like dusting off the old snes and buying some games for it. However, I could never find any site that sold them cheaply. I went on Amazon and found some prices I was willing to pay for many games. I added them into my cart but when i went to checkout, I noticed all of them were from different sellers (as they were used) so I would have to pay shipping for every differnt game, and the it would have cost a lot more. What I'm wondering is is there any site that sells alot of snes games very cheap, or is there any snes flashcart type thing.
I probably won't be buying a modded xbox though.

Tl;dr :I want to buy cheap snes games from one site so that i don't have to pay individual shipping. Tried amazon and ebay.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jgu1994 said:
or is there any snes flashcart type thing.

The closest thing would be to try and find a game copier, but good luck with that. Plus you'd have the hassle of having to convert the ROMs into a split format and copy them to a bunch of floppies, then do a huge amount of floppy swapping every time you want to play a game.

I have two of the things, but don't bother using them these days, what with emulators on everything from X-box to PSP being so much easier. (I know you said you don't want to use a modded X-box, so I'm not suggesting you do so, I'm just saying it's what I do.)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone talks about emulation being the way to go but honestly, playing the original machine is much better. Just compare an emulated version of Super Mario World to a SNES running it. You'll notice a bunch of subtle effects that aren't emulated properly or just aren't emulated at all. Emulation is ok as a substitute, but you're definitely better off picking up the carts and playing the games on a real machine.

I can't help you with picking up carts cheaply but I know a site in the UK that occasionally has backup units (usually Game Doctors and Super UFOs). It might work out a bit expensive shipping them to the US though.

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Everyone talks about emulation being the way to go but honestly, playing the original machine is much better. Just compare an emulated version of Super Mario World to a SNES running it. You'll notice a bunch of subtle effects that aren't emulated properly or just aren't emulated at all. Emulation is ok as a substitute, but you're definitely better off picking up the carts and playing the games on a real machine.

I can't help you with picking up carts cheaply but I know a site in the UK that occasionally has backup units (usually Game Doctors and Super UFOs). It might work out a bit expensive shipping them to the US though.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have to agree with you TrolleyDave. Emulation just doesn't have that feel to it. Nothing beats popping in a cart and playing it on your tv. I'm going to go check and see if a local gamestop or eb games sells some snes games. Its been awhile since I last went to a game store, but i remember them selling n64 games, so they might have some snes games.

Arsic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could it be the controller feel? Or the act of putting a cartridge into a console? The first one might be good for emulation if you get some sort of adapter for the controller. I don't think the second part can be realistically replicated.

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arsic said:
Could it be the controller feel? Or the act of putting a cartridge into a console? The first one might be good for emulation if you get some sort of adapter for the controller. I don't think the second part can be realistically replicated.

I guess it's the retro feel of it. Also, I was planning on buying a few multiplayer games so I could play them with my friends. You can't really do that with emulation, unless you use winkawaks or something like that and the multiplayer would be over internet connection, so it wouldn't be as fun as having a friend next to you playing.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Arsic said:

For me it's the actual look of the games that's wrong. If you play SMW world on a SNES and then load it up on an emulator you can see the differences straight away on the first level. On a SNES the background layer has a kind of soft cloudy/marshmallowy look to it which seperates it from the actual playing layer. Kind of like when a photo is taken of a close up subject, the object is perfectly focused but the background is just slightly out of focus. On an emulator that little effect is missing, the background is just as sharp as the foreground.

I know it's seems like it's not really alot to complain about but it affects the whole feel of the game. Plus, for me anyway, the SNES had a very bright cartoony palette which the emulators don't quite capture. The palettes seem to be darker, more so on the Xbox. I also find the timings on some games to be off by a little bit. Again it's not much to complain about but it affects the game play if you're used to playing the game on the actual console.

Emulation is ok for those that have never used the machine before I guess, but if you're used to using the real machine then you notice all the little differences. I guess maybe I'm just too fussy or something.

jgu1994 said:
QUOTE(Arsic @ Jan 17 2009, 09:30 PM) Could it be the controller feel? Or the act of putting a cartridge into a console? The first one might be good for emulation if you get some sort of adapter for the controller. I don't think the second part can be realistically replicated.

I guess it's the retro feel of it. Also, I was planning on buying a few multiplayer games so I could play them with my friends. You can't really do that with emulation, unless you use winkawaks or something like that and the multiplayer would be over internet connection, so it wouldn't be as fun as having a friend next to you playing.

I thought stuff like Snes9x allowed multiplayer with multiple joypads?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
There are SNES flashcarts out there, or there were. I dont know if they are still available, it took some hunting but I did find a link to one with some info on them.

http://www.thebasementscientist.com/2008/0...lash-cartridge/

yaypsp.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm very interested in a super UFO device... But I never find any haha
smile.gif
If I one day would come over one quite inexpensive, I'd take it right away!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.