SNES games hold up surprisingly well

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was playing Mario World just now and after 31 years of its release it still amazes me how damn great it looks.

Truly, it's a work of art while some modern games haven't graphically aged too well. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed Mafia 2's story mode, but the graphics felt pretty outdated (not to mention there's no free roam mode).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Survivorship bias. Some SNES games still hold up. Others do not,
In general, 2D sprite games hold up much better than 3D games, because the graphics designers and artists had tight control of every pixel, and could polish it to perfection and to the limit of the console's abilities. 3D games start looking dated almost immediately.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
in 1994/95 i remember as kid like 6 or 7 thinking the gaphics are too good, how can they get better than this on a console?

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember thinking that final fantasy vii looked like shit on the psx classic. it was extremely dated. however, it actually looks pretty good remastered on the switch at least. I did get to the final dungeon in it.

Reactions: Flame

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was playing Mario World just now and after 31 years of its release it still amazes me how damn great it looks.

Truly, it's a work of art while some modern games haven't graphically aged too well. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed Mafia 2's story mode, but the graphics felt pretty outdated (not to mention there's no free roam mode).
Yea SNES is a solid console. And I do agree that Mario World still holds up as a really good game.

But in general I feel like as though more gamers need to give older games a chance, and sure some of them might have not aged well as others but overall there is a lot of gold within retro games.

For example I still introduce F-Zero GX to people and hook them into the game, goes to show that it can be a blast even 18ish years later.

If you call yourself a gamer and enjoy the artisical form and like to have fun then it shouldn't matter how old or new the game is, you should give them all a chance to try and understand them.

And obviously GbaTemp is a place where everybody loves retro games, but i'm just talking about the gaming community at large.

Deleted member 568892

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally SNES games look bad on modern displays because the image gets stretched and it lacks scanlines. The Nintendo online service does a decent job at least. The games themselves look alright when displayed properly but I tend to prefer modern games.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A lot of SFC games look amazing, and will forever look amazing.
They will always lack HD sprites and cool new effects, but they will always have a unique charm to them.
That's a characteristic of well made 2D sprite games.
And you can sometimes use an upscaling AI to make them look really good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.