SNES core released for OpenFPGA Analogue Pocket

1663401665994.png

The first SNES core has been released for the Analogue Pocket, an FPGA based handheld (read our review here).

The core is an early port of the original MiSTer core created by srg320. While most games are playable, there are some limitations such as lack of support for PAL titles, certain Super Nintendo expansion chips used by specific games and ROM header limitations. Developer agg23 has stated that support can be improved in the future but requires several new features from Analogue to be implemented in order to do so.

:arrow: Github page

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't this thing use cartridges... for gameboy advance? :blink:
Says ROMs in the OP and tweet. I guess they're fine with it for systems whose cartridges wouldn't fit? Seems like an odd distinction to make for sure, but people have already unlocked ROM play of all the various portable systems as well.

Reactions: xoINARIox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't this thing use cartridges... for gameboy advance? :blink:
Yes, and GB/GBC, and a bunch of others with adapters.

However being based on FPGAs (very powerful programmable chips) you can also use said FPGA to... simulate is probably a better word than emulate (do it right and the transistors the FPGA simulates will be the same as found if you decapped the SNES chips) whatever you like and have enough onboard gates for. Courtesy of that we saw GB, GBC and GBA separately, the PDP1 (a very old computer), Neo Geo (though the version I tested was rather early and clunky), master system and game gear, as well a bunch of others
has some more.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well good for that device. Peopleare more worried about srg320 being affected by the war.

Although i hope analogue rewards the devs since iirc, they don't and is just a lazy way for them to take on Mister at the expense of devs that do it for free

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
This console seems to be made exclusively for snobs, the used price is 500 fricking $, with prices at about 1000 for a new one, and people are paying that...just why?

I stay with my AGS101 with flashcard or the many other alternatives for playing the original consoles, thanks, but no thanks.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This console seems to be made exclusively for snobs, the used price is 500 fricking $, with prices at about 1000 for a new one, and people are paying that...just why?

I stay with my AGS101 with flashcard or the many other alternatives for playing the original consoles, thanks, but no thanks.
Check out our review for more information. It retails for just $220 but is backordered for over a year so incredibly hard to find hence the eBay scalpers.

I have one and it's an amazing system!

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I paid $219 for mine, as that is the RRP and I preordered from Analogue. Paying any more than that is just paying scalpers the difference due to impatience. By your logic the PS5 and XBOX Series X are exclusively for snobs because they are/were scalped at release (at which point they were over $1000 from scalpers).

Besides, scalper prices for the Analogue Pocket are about $300 to $400 brand new and sealed at the moment on eBay. Just like the current Gen consoles their scalper prices fell over time.

Last edited by Graxer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Check out our review for more information. It retails for just $220 but is backordered for over a year so incredibly hard to find hence the eBay scalpers.

I have one and it's an amazing system!
Yeah it's really not bad at all considering modded GBAs with IPS v2 are going for $170 on the low end, and if $220+ if you want a rechargeable one. Modded GBA SP are a little cheaper, but still around that $200 mark.

Reactions: shaunj66

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't think the advantage of FPGA makes it worth it compared to any other single board computers like the RG351V or the Miyoo mini.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don't think the advantage of FPGA makes it worth it compared to any other single board computers like the RG351V or the Miyoo mini.

It's definitely an enthusiast device. So it totally depends what the customer is looking for as to whether or not it's worth it for them.

I'd agree that for most casual gamers, no the Pocket isn't worth it. But for those hobbyists or tinkerers who like to shave every millisecond of latency off their games then the Pocket or MiSTer/FPGA devices are exceptional.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Yeah this device doesnt highlight advantages over cheaper stuff. Probably mister level fpgas are more apoarent since they show better analog output support, multiple controller type support and very low latency. These are all enthusiast level imo. Typical emulaters run well enough for most folks

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Looks very cool.

I'm glad everyone has moved to use USB-C from now on, I just hope it's the standard for years to come.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's definitely an enthusiast device. So it totally depends what the customer is looking for as to whether or not it's worth it for them.

I'd agree that for most casual gamers, no the Pocket isn't worth it. But for those hobbyists or tinkerers who like to shave every millisecond of latency off their games then the Pocket or MiSTer/FPGA devices are exceptional.
I don't even think the latency argument is right. Here is the latency of some original consoles :

61m2mbfp09w81[1].jpg

And hereis the latency of several SBC :

Untitled[1].png

The difference in latency is negligible to null.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sometime during 2023 I'll be trying it out, thanks for the news update. I was doubtful the Pocket would ever see any cores like this. Very glad to have been wrong. Hopefully everything 8-bit and 16-bit will be playable on this thing by the time I get one.

I have no problem waiting, I have a huge backlog of games to get through as I imagine most here have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Managed Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to work