Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
even if riivolution does not work you can simply copy the folder and overwrite the files

should be easy write a script which interprets the riivolution files

what i would love to see is integration of the riivolution functionality in sneek

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Majroa said:
WiiPower said:
Sneek DI works with Riivolution? Have you tested this? This would really surprise me.
Why not? The wii sees the DI loaded disc as a retail.
Well...but you didn't thought about if the Dev-Team of Riivolution might have actually coded checks in, so that it won't work? In fact, they did, SNEEK doesn't work with Riivolution.

And, as far as I understood, they didn't put these checks in to laught at you, but they did put these checks in because it wouldn't work. Riivolution doesn't work because it needs a clean IOS, and IOS in SNEEK are somehow patched (like the cIOS). Pune onces explained this so everyone gets it, but I can't found it...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sneek patches the IOS in memory before loading them, that's why Riivolution doesn't like it. I said it would surprise me if Riivolution would work with it. I don't want to cry about Riivolution, just correct the list.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Sneek patches the IOS in memory before loading them, that's why Riivolution doesn't like it. I said it would surprise me if Riivolution would work with it. I don't want to cry about Riivolution, just correct the list.

SNEEK does not directly patch any IOS part, the boot2.bin - the core of SNEEK - is the IOS's kernel file where the ES and FS module are REPLACED by SNEEK's own modules.
One can assume(!) that riivolution patches certain parts of ES/FS and if it is SNEEK those patches would end in epic fail, so they did the next best thing, add a detection to prevent that crash.
While I think it could be possible(!) to make riivoltuon work with SNEEK it would require too much work and it's just not the point of riivolution.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Pro's:
- Best compabilty
- Regionfree
- Disc channel loading
- Easy access to gamefiles, Reggie, anyone?
- No cIOS/patched IOS needed, games run on the original IOS's
- (In the future) Gamecube loading

Con's:
- You need to decrypt your games
- Only FAT32
- People seem to have problems with installing sneek
vs

cIOS loading

Pro's:
- Specific USB Loaders with nicer gui's than Sneek DI
- Video mode patching
- WBFS, Fat32 AND NTFS are supported
- Plain ISO's are supported

Con's:
- You need to modify your Wii to make it work
- Not all games are working
- WBFS isn't recognized by OS's
- Antipiracy measures
FAT32 only is not a con. It's a pro.
People also seem to be having problems installing cIOS. Not a con, especially since there is now an installer. Only the first point is relevant. There's no reason cIOS should be used anymore once SNEEK has good compatibility and loading except for specific applications.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Majroa said:
con, as in, the cluster limit.
fat32 supports ~2^28 clusters
giving a maximum of ~8TiB with 32KiB clusters
i doubt that there will be that much different wii games any time soon

64KiB clusters could implemented if it seems necessary too

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gameking66 said:
People also seem to be having problems installing cIOS. Not a con, especially since there is now an installer. Only the first point is relevant. There's no reason cIOS should be used anymore once SNEEK has good compatibility and loading except for specific applications.

Ultimately the only difference between the two is how they are loaded. With CIOS it uses it's own slot, while SNEEK hijacks bootmii's IOS slot.
Once they are loaded into starlet then can do exactly the same thing as each other.

If anyone bothers to develop CIOS more then the pros for CIOS will be:
1. CIOS can co-exist with BOOTMII as an IOS, while SNEEK needs you to rename files/directories.
2. CIOS won't need an SDCARD.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This might be a dumb question, but does it matter if Riivolution works with SNEEK+DI or not? I haven't actually tried this myself, but since everything is in file mode for SNEEK+DI, couldn't you just overwrite the files manually?

For example for a NSMBW mod, couldn't you just copy the arc file to the stage folder and then overwrite the old one, without needing to use Riivolution or the like?

Maybe I'm missing something because as I said, I haven't tried it. It just seems like with SNEEK+DI, it wouldn't even be necessary to use Riivolution.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jhoff80 said:
I haven't actually tried this myself, but since everything is in file mode for SNEEK+DI, couldn't you just overwrite the files manually?

Haven't tried either, but fat does not support soft- or hardlinks.
So this way you get a lot of duplicate files if you want multiple mods or multiple settings of one mod (eg font issue in ff4).

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Majroa said:
1. Yeah, but easier. Also, bootmii as boot2 can be deleted w/o any traces. Iirc cIOSes not.
3. Once the partition corrupted when I played... all my games were gone
4. No, because Sneek(like the wode) emulates the usb drive as disk drive. The wii thinks it's a official wii game etc.

But WHAT ABOUT 2......WAHHHHH>

I like this thread.....its interesting to see, as it is a valid point for us that could go either way.
The alt.dol is the only workaround for Metroid Prime Trilogy at the moment correct? Select which game in the Trilogy you would like to play? Correct?
The major plus I see is the increase in nand space. I have to either upgrade to 4.0+ for SD support, Use uLoader/TriForce, or use Sneek, have more nand, and be totally bomb proof with boot2 as well. Hmmmm....sneek is attractive.
++++ (Sneek may lead to GC USB loading) _+++

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
why does everything have to be a competition around here?
sneek / cIOS
FAT / NTFS / WBFS
hardmod / softmod
what loader do you use
paper / plastic
249 / 222
shirts / skins
bootmii / prloader
soup / salad
regular gas / premium

things are designed with different goals in mind. depending on what is important to you, your vote will be different. it is pointless to make a challenge out of it because nobody will win. nodoby will change the other person's opinion. just like having a theological debate online. everybody will leave the discussion felling exactly like they did when it started, you just open the door for flame wars and crap. there is no umpire or judge. you dont get bonus points when more people agree with you than the other side.
Well said pune.

It's just my opinion but this topic is redundant.
smile.gif

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
cons of sneek are outdated.

I'm running in sneek-di: plain-ISO, WBFS-files. On both FAT32 and NTFS.
Just need more tests and it will be released.
cIOS is a past century already
smile.gif

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorgelig said:
cons of sneek are outdated.

I'm running in sneek-di: plain-ISO, WBFS-files. On both FAT32 and NTFS.
Just need more tests and it will be released.
cIOS is a past century already
smile.gif

So how big are your DI and FS modules now?

moosehunter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorgelig said:
they cannot be bigger than maximum predefined sizes since they have to be injected into original binaries.

Crediar doesn't seem to think so:

00:24 < pune> so is the di module full to the point that you had to remove debug text to fit in more code?
00:25 yes
00:25 < pune> maybe its time to send a letter to broadon and request more space in the next IOS releases
00:26 well
00:26 one could write a tool that could get around the limit
00:26 but so far I have been to lazy to write it
00:28 the real limit is basically the start address of the next module minus the current one
00:28 ES/FS have 1MB
00:29 DI maybe too
00:32 < pune> i guess you could save some memory by making them share common functions
00:32 < pune> but that would be a bitch to get right
00:33 it's ok the way it is now

So how'd you fit all the new code in?

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
well, i don't need it anyway.
I have enough space to put both SD and EHCI code into FS module (unlike originally only one) and fullfeatured DVD emulation into DI module.
But my DI/ES module cannot change DVD by itself. You need to use some loader to prepare data for DI. Once it made, you may use even SystemMenu to launch DVD. But i prefer loader anyway
smile.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loader rules

sneek is great but its too complicated. i spent about 3 days getting sneek to run...the problem was with the release version not even me.

if sneek gets to be 100% perfect then i may change my mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-