SNAAAKE!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mthrnite, Aug 23, 2007.

Aug 23, 2007

SNAAAKE! by mthrnite at 5:52 AM (2,672 Views / 1 Likes) 27 replies

1. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    My dad died back in April, and willed me his house, which me and my boys have been busy turning into our house. One room that stays locked up though, is my dad's office, down in the basement. It was his sanctum sanctorum, and it still holds power over me to a degree. So, I'm looking for a clipboard this morning, and I reluctantly go into my dad's office to hunt one down. I find one jutting out from under a stack of papers and as I tug on it, I see a ropey black thing move in a plastic bill-minder thingy on top of the stack. I jumped back, thinking.. well, I don't really know what I was thinking.. something along the lines of "Waaaagh!", and I may have squeeled a bit as well. When I'd had a second to gather my thoughts I got a flashlight, and peered into the little plastic shelves of the bill-minder. Sure enough, a snake body.. pretty thick one too. I looked around to see if I could find something to grab it with and a foot or so away, on top of a box, is the head, looking at me, doing the flicky tongue thing.

My dad hated snakes. I mean he religiously hated any snake no matter how harmless. He would kill a snake with extreme prejudice on sight. When I was a kid I found a garden snake, very small, very harmless. He took it from me as soon as I showed it to him, and crushed it with the heel of his boot. When I asked him why, much later in life, he quoted me this. This is God talkin' to the serpent in the garden of Eden:

Genesis 3:15
    And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

So, briefly, as I was trying to figure out how to rid my house of this snake today, I toyed with the idea that my dad had messed up somehow and been reincarnated as a snake. Luckily I don't believe that stuff, so I had little trouble killing it with a giant iron ring-sizer (you can find anything you'll never need in dad's office.) All in all I was dealing with this thing for an hour and a half today. I have no idea how it got down there, or how long it had been there. It was pretty weird, so I thought I'd share.

Here be the snake in question. His head is "bruised" pretty bad, but my heel suffered no like damage.

[​IMG]

He was about 3 and a half feel long, and non-poisonous as far as I could tell. Trust me, I tried to figure out a way to catch it and release it without harming it, but it couldn't be done without risking it's escape into the thousand hidey-holes in my dad's office. I've got two young children who would've had a hard time sleeping had I not proven it was not going to get them. So it goes.

(oh, and this has nothing to do with running into a tree.. that's a Richard Pryor reference for the old folks on the board [​IMG] )

1 person likes this.

2. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    My room is freaking mess, last year we found some (3) "baby" snakes underneath a pile of stuff. I'm still wondering where their "Mama" might be.

EDIT: btw, it looks cute the way you and your kids are staring down at the "bruised" snake.

3. When Im Gone

Banned When Im Gone Banned

United States
    Haha oh wow I would freak out if I saw a snake in my house. I was expecting some Metal Gear Solid but this was way better.

4. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Well, I actually though of Solid Snake. You know, when you get a game over and you friend calls out "SNAKEEE" [​IMG]

5. modshroom128

Member modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i loled

6. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    too bad you had to kill it, could've made a nice pet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Wow, that's quite a bit strange. Are snakes usually that big where you live? Here in NW Oregon snakes are about 1 1/2 feet max.

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Wow that's crazy.

9. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    You can bag snakes pretty easily. As an added bonus, as long as they're in the bag, you can throw them back into the woods where they belong instead of killing the poor thing [​IMG]

10. strummer12

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I fucking hate snakes and they are my phobia. I could never kill one if I saw one cos I'd be too busy running away like a pussy.

11. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I thought you were yelling out Snake, like when you die(On another note I am currently addicted to Metal Gear Solid)

12. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    kinda reminds me of the time when i was cleaning out my shoes rack and finding a black widow comming out of one of my friggin shoe, ever since then i dont wear that pair and i check every shoes before i put them on...

what am i supose to yell if a spider dies?

13. mthrnite
    OP

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    @Gamerman, yeah we get 'em that big, and have a few poisonous types around as well, copperheads and cottonmouths are not uncommon. I didn't think this was a venomous snake since it didn't look like the two I mentioned, but we've had lots of immigrants to this area, from north and south, and I didn't want to risk it considering I'm alone in the house with a 5 & 3 year old.

@Snake sympathizers, I feel your pain. Believe me, I had everything I could find (pillowcase, old t-shirts, forked implement) ready to trap it live, and actually had it forked down for about a second, but it got loose and likely very pissed. If my kids were a bit older, I might have tried harder, but as it is, I had their psychological interest in mind. I didn't want it loose in the house, and them terrified if I couldn't find it. Plus, given my situation, I couldn't risk me or them getting bitten by what could be a poisonous snake. So I hope everyone understands. I have a few things in common with my dad, but hatred of snakes isn't one of them.

Here's a couple more pics that may give you an idea how chaotic the environment was in there (I couldn't just let him drop to the floor and sweep him up.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Eek!
    You're forgiven, old man [​IMG]

15. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    [​IMG] The third pic... I would have called someone.
    You're a brave man.

BTW that cup of marbles looks so great [​IMG]

16. ianz

Member ianz GBAtemp Regular

good thing you killed it, it could have swallowd one of your kids whole!

17. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Oh shit! I love marbles! I wish I still had my marbles. ;-;

I LOST MY MARBLES!

18. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
  19. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    My Chinese zodiac sign is the Snake, I was born in the Year of the Snake, I slightly resemble Naked Snake, I know some guy that owns a Snake...

I FIND THIS TOPIC OF SNAKE-CRUSHINGS VERY OFFENSIVE! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SNAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    hahaha same here, i would freak out [​IMG] and i did think it was about MGS..