SMT: Devil Survivor Name Hack

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by RemedyYulaAtha, Oct 19, 2012.

Oct 19, 2012
  1. RemedyYulaAtha
    OP

Newcomer RemedyYulaAtha Newbie

So I have been messing around with the Hex editor, but as I have no knowledge of how to use it at all, I always end up with the save data corrupted.

I really need someone who is experienced to help!! I know this game is old and not many people have the time to bother with me but please hear me out.

The thing is I want to hack the SAV file for the game to change the Player Character's name. I also want want to bypass the Character limit set for the name.

This is what I want to do.
    I want to change my current player name:

"Kazuya Mngshi"

To:

"Kazuya Minegishi"

Because of the character limit, the name Minegishi is squished into Mngshi. I want to bypass that character limit and I don't know if you need to hack the ROM or SAV itself. Whenever I try opening up with the HxD Hex Editor, I can't find my player name.

I wish someone can help me. It's like hacking a Pokemon name and making it longer than the character limit. Please help if you know or are bored and want to do something!!
    PLEASE T^T

2. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    I will answer your question about if you have to hack the savegame or the rom with a question:
    What is a savegame??

Anyway the answer to the bigger question is: it's out of your capabilities to do that.

3. RemedyYulaAtha
    OP

Newcomer RemedyYulaAtha Newbie

Indeed it is out of my capabilities. I'm no programmer, but considering the amount of people who are experienced here, there oughta be someone who knows. It's only a matter of whether that person decides to help out or not, it is why I turn to this community.

It's like a Pokesav for Pokemon where people can alter the Player's name and other stuff. It's done so by messing with the Save data and you should definitely know what is a savegame. I don't know how to hack, create cheats or change player name. So I'm really hoping someone could help me out.

There are complicated programs out there like the SOS mail generator for the PMD series. Please, I beg the smartest of the smartest to help me out. I know I can't reward anyone with anything, but...I really want to change the character name and bypass the limit. It looks so ruined when I have to see the name "Mngshi"

4. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    It's almost impossible to do that, a character name has maximum amount of characters it can have, in SMT games you got Name\Last Name\Nickname, each one has 12 bits of space, each 2 bits is one full ASCII letter which the game reads, when you change it by using an hex editor it would appear like that
    43 68 61 6f 73 72, adding a two-bit code after that would either crash the game via buffer overflow and in case it's buffer protected it will just crash the game normally and in case it has built in hex-idiot mechanism, it will convert the name via it's engine to the 12 bit size it's suppose to be... to increase the 12 bit limit you gotta recode the game or the engine to accept that, that's beyond 99% of the `tempers and the 1% that can do it can't be arsed