The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
THIS IS MY 123th POST!!!

On topic

Is it possible that someone (not me, can't code) would make a SMB backup loader?
No need to buy extra hardware just network is like heaven for some of the people here!!! (including me)
I know that it will be a lot of work because of the wbfs in USB loader should be rewritten.
Or should it be possible to make a wbfs partition on your HDD and share that partition?

Just thoughts. Excuse me if I'm wrong. Just wanna learn!!!

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I wouldn't care as long as I could play. At the moment I use 8 GB USB and I think network will work faster than coping to USB and then load.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if you want to talk theoretical numbers, Wireless G network loading could actually be faster than loading from DVD on a soft modded Wii. I'm sure someone more that knows more than me will correct this but ...

3x DVD drive read speed = around 4mbps
Max possible Wireless G speed = 56mbps which of course you'll never see, so let's just cut that down to 1/3 due to system overhead etc. Say 18 mbps.

That would still be faster than loading from soft modded DVD drive. So I guess it is possible. Heck the GC could stream games so I don't see why the Wii couldn't.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that it's an IOS limit. But I can only say for sure after testing the speed on Wii Linux.
But there are other problems:
Somebody would have to port the smb lib to the arm processor which the IOS runs on, and as I heard you can't put unlimited code into the ©IOS.
The speed problem was already mentionend (ok, you could play, but maybe only in slow motion
tongue.gif
)
What happens if you loose connection/if the computer goes to Standby/you little daughter restarts the computer? You'd get an Disc Error and have to play from the last save on.
How many people would use it? You because you only have a 8Gb drive and you have to move every game to it before playing, maybe you should just use normal DVDs. Changing a disc is way faster than moving a few GB to a stick.
Really, in your situatuon I would just buy 50DVDs for 15€ and burn the damn things (as I guess you are a pirate) or just play the originals.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I was joking about the speed
wink.gif

Think about Metroid Prime 3, on Softmod (3x) you have to wait long times before some doors open, now think about it loading over wifi, waiting 2 minutes before going hrough a door
yay.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1