SMB Loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Kwartel, Aug 22, 2009.

Aug 22, 2009

SMB Loader? by Kwartel at 1:30 PM (5,011 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Kwartel
    OP

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    THIS IS MY 123th POST!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________

On topic

Is it possible that someone (not me, can't code) would make a SMB backup loader?
    No need to buy extra hardware just network is like heaven for some of the people here!!! (including me)
    I know that it will be a lot of work because of the wbfs in USB loader should be rewritten.
    Or should it be possible to make a wbfs partition on your HDD and share that partition?

Just thoughts. Excuse me if I'm wrong. Just wanna learn!!!

2. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you like backups loading speeds on a softmod, you'll LOVE networked loading.

3. Kwartel
    OP

Netherlands
    Well I wouldn't care as long as I could play. At the moment I use 8 GB USB and I think network will work faster than coping to USB and then load.

4. Kwartel
    OP

Netherlands
    Nobody interested

5. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Well if you want to talk theoretical numbers, Wireless G network loading could actually be faster than loading from DVD on a soft modded Wii. I'm sure someone more that knows more than me will correct this but ...

3x DVD drive read speed = around 4mbps
    Max possible Wireless G speed = 56mbps which of course you'll never see, so let's just cut that down to 1/3 due to system overhead etc. Say 18 mbps.

That would still be faster than loading from soft modded DVD drive. So I guess it is possible. Heck the GC could stream games so I don't see why the Wii couldn't.

6. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    I thought the Wii's Wifi was kneecaped at 2mbps.

Was this just an IOS limit?

7. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't think that it's an IOS limit. But I can only say for sure after testing the speed on Wii Linux.
    But there are other problems:
    Somebody would have to port the smb lib to the arm processor which the IOS runs on, and as I heard you can't put unlimited code into the ©IOS.
    The speed problem was already mentionend (ok, you could play, but maybe only in slow motion [​IMG])
    What happens if you loose connection/if the computer goes to Standby/you little daughter restarts the computer? You'd get an Disc Error and have to play from the last save on.
    How many people would use it? You because you only have a 8Gb drive and you have to move every game to it before playing, maybe you should just use normal DVDs. Changing a disc is way faster than moving a few GB to a stick.
    Really, in your situatuon I would just buy 50DVDs for 15€ and burn the damn things (as I guess you are a pirate) or just play the originals.

8. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    joking right? try 300-750kbps, be a nice speed to try loading a game, (lmao). Honestly it's the worst option ever and it will not ever happen. Especially for something as big as games.

9. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, I was joking about the speed [​IMG]
    Think about Metroid Prime 3, on Softmod (3x) you have to wait long times before some doors open, now think about it loading over wifi, waiting 2 minutes before going hrough a door [​IMG]

10. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    hrmm wierd i never had any problems loading mp3 and having laggy doors

11. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    It only affects people using the DVD softmod. The DVD softmod is limited to 3x read speeds, rather than the 6x normal read speeds.