Smash 3DS Moveset Save Editor

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by MrCheeze, May 25, 2015.

1. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    With 3DS save editing becoming increasingly accessible (PastaCFW), I figured it would be useful to have a tool that can copy custom move presets from one save file to another. As well, it can generate the binary moveset data from scratch using a JSON file containing the moveset data. I've included an example file with the Evo 2015 movesets to demonstrate this. Finally, there is one separate bonus feature: automatically unlocking all characters/customs/outfits in a save file.

Download link is here.
    Requires Python 3 to run.

Basic usage, if you just want to insert e.g. the EVO movesets into your save file:
    • Extract the save using SaveDataFiler (not gonna get into the details here). There should be an account_data.bin and system_data.bin, only the latter is important.
    • Generate movesets.bin from the included JSON file
    • Inject the generated movesets.bin into your system_data save.
    • Use SaveDataFiler to reinsert the edited save to your game.
    A couple minor gotchas. If you have the eShop version of the game, always insert saves that were edited from a newly extracted save, rather than an old one - each save contains four random bytes that change whenever you play the game, and the save will be rejected if they weren't the last ones to be saved. Also, on both versions, your Mii thumbnails will be wrong unless you edit and resave them.

Hope this will be useful to someone.

Last edited by MrCheeze, Aug 15, 2017
    DunnoBro, Kurth and Tomato Hentai like this.
  2. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    Neat! Does this only work with saves extracted using SaveDataFilter?

3. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    Yea

4. LemmyT

LemmyT Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2015
    United States
    I got it to work. Thank you so much for this. I've been wanting to make EVO sets for a long time but didn't because it would take too much time. This took me 5 minutes. I really appreciate you making this.

5. Kurth

Kurth Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2014
    United States
    It figures this would happen a week after I created all the EVO sets by hand. Still, thanks for doing this; I'm glad that no one else will have to spend ~3 hrs of repetitive button-taping!

6. Neru

Neru GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2015
    United States
    How do you even get account_data.bin and system_data.bin? I used save data filer but I never see those two files? Can it be that only cia version works when you export the save data?

Edit: nvm I got it :)

7. DunnoBro

DunnoBro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Good stuff! This will make things WAY easier on me!

8. Smash Br0

Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2009
    United States
    @MrCheeze : Can this be used to copy over Custom Equipment Sets too?

9. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
  10. Maplemage

Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Sep 23, 2008
    Why would you care?
    Anyway to do this with Palantine CFW? I always get CTR Card Broken for Smash 4, really want those customs.

11. MrCheeze
    OP

MrCheeze GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Canada
    Probably impossible. They've changed the way saves work since 4.x.

12. aflarge

aflarge Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2015
    United States
    Can anyone explain how to do this to someone who doesn't know anything about Python? I downloaded the smash_movesets file and installed the newest version of Python, but from there, I've got no idea how to proceed.

Much obliged!

13. skullpatch

skullpatch Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Is there any chance that you could re-upload the files? the dropbox link is dead.