ROM Hack [Smash 3DS] Complete ROM Hacking guide (Textures, music, SFX/voice clips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMidnight

part time fe modder
Trophies
Website
camilla.hostfree.pw
XP
Country
Do you have a file for this modification? There's a chance it could be SaltySD, but at the same time the same issue happens with menu music replacement (randomly doesn't load and is quiet), which is outside the Resource file handling since it's BGM. So it's possible it's entirely an issue with the modification and the nus3bank itself.
By the way is the Kirby -> Mr Game and Watch glitch fixed ? Whenever kirby swallows G&W the game crashes

Sachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a file for this modification? There's a chance it could be SaltySD, but at the same time the same issue happens with menu music replacement (randomly doesn't load and is quiet), which is outside the Resource file handling since it's BGM. So it's possible it's entirely an issue with the modification and the nus3bank itself.

The menu sfx are in SE and aren't in the menu music bank. Though, it was present before I used a custom menu sfx so it's probably not specific to that nus3bank. Before, I only had character SE and VC along with custom announcer banks. I'm thinking it's an issue with loading SE though since SE houses both announcer and menu banks. I'll do more testing if I have time

RetroGamer732

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since I've been here, so I forgot how to compile SaltySD. When I type Makefile in the directory of the.asm's and my code.bin, it says

./Makefile: line 2: .SUFFIXES:: command not found
./Makefile: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token '$(strip $(DEVKITARM)),'
./Makefile: line 5: 'ifeq ($(strip $(DEVKITARM)),)'

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
By the way is the Kirby -> Mr Game and Watch glitch fixed ? Whenever kirby swallows G&W the game crashes
Yep that's been fixed. Also, I've got a mega link to the new saltySD, download the one for your region and put it in Luma/code_sections (or is it code-sections?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's been a while since I've been here, so I forgot how to compile SaltySD. When I type Makefile in the directory of the.asm's and my code.bin, it says

./Makefile: line 2: .SUFFIXES:: command not found
./Makefile: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token '$(strip $(DEVKITARM)),'
./Makefile: line 5: 'ifeq ($(strip $(DEVKITARM)),)'

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Try just typing 'make'

RetroGamer732

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep that's been fixed. Also, I've got a mega link to the new saltySD, download the one for your region and put it in Luma/code_sections (or is it code-sections?)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try just typing 'make'
Thanks, It worked.

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@Yudowat
I think my csps don't load because I remade a lot of my css screen and have a large mod pack
Possibly, but that shouldn't happen. Did my mod pack work for you?
Thank you so much. Also is there a link where i can download Female Corrin's model data
You should dump your game's files, and find corrin's model inside there.

Sachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@shinyquagsire23 So it seems that "snd_se_joucyu.nus3bank" and "snd_se_narration_common.nus3bank" are likely what's causing the sfx glitch. I'm not 100% positive "snd_se_narration_menu.nus3bank" is fine but it didn't cause audio to cut after repeated trigger of it's sfx. Now I'm almost certain the nus3banks are not the cause of the glitch because, I just recalled before (in the old SaltySD build), Y2K was having audio cut off issues with the announcer after using custom charactercalls and repeated trigger of character select sfx. So the charactercall nus3bank also faces the same issue. So it's an issue stemming from the old version too.
I additionally tested with only a custom SE sfx bank for fox only. It did not cause any glitches after repeated triggering. So it seems specific to certain SE banks, but was also present in the previous SaltySD build too. I guess no else tried using these specific custom banks before so the glitch remained unnoticed.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@shinyquagsire23 So it seems that "snd_se_joucyu.nus3bank" and "snd_se_narration_common.nus3bank" are likely what's causing the sfx glitch. I'm not 100% positive "snd_se_narration_menu.nus3bank" is fine but it didn't cause audio to cut after repeated trigger of it's sfx. Now I'm almost certain the nus3banks are not the cause of the glitch because, I just recalled before (in the old SaltySD build), Y2K was having audio cut off issues with the announcer after using custom charactercalls and repeated trigger of character select sfx. So the charactercall nus3bank also faces the same issue. So it's an issue stemming from the old version too.
I additionally tested with only a custom SE sfx bank for fox only. It did not cause any glitches after repeated triggering. So it seems specific to certain SE banks, but was also present in the previous SaltySD build too. I guess no else tried using these specific custom banks before so the glitch remained unnoticed.
Well the thing is, the only thing old SaltySD and post-v0.9 SaltySD have in common is https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/SaltySD/blob/master/smash/sdsound.asm, and that's it. Basically there's only a few scenarios at this point which could cause things to go wrong in terms of SD file override:
  • A file entry for a new file exists, but the file fails to load somehow
  • An overridden file somehow gets loaded with the original file instead
  • An alternate path of loading is executed which I'm not hooking, or am only partially hooking somehow (one instance of this existed before but it was fixed).
  • sdmc somehow gets unmounted and causes one of the first two options
  • Overridden file allocations are too big, or the modified file itself is bad
If the bug existed between original SaltySD and post-v0.9, simply due to the complete difference between the two (one hooks top-layer functions, the other hooks at the source of loading files and indexing) I'm more inclined to believe that the constant is an error in patching nus3banks, or a lack of patching some other file. I recall during early SaltySD testing I tested a param file for someone (I forget who) which added an additional BGM song to the menu random. So it wouldn't surprise me that perhaps there's param file edits which might need to be made for nus3banks. I also recall testing a Lucina voice mod (I think from the same person, again forgot who it was) which had the side effect of being completely mute if you tried to test it in the music/sfx test screen.

Last edited by shinyquagsire23,

Sachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the thing is, the only thing old SaltySD and post-v0.9 SaltySD have in common is https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/SaltySD/blob/master/smash/sdsound.asm, and that's it. Basically there's only a few scenarios at this point which could cause things to go wrong in terms of SD file override:
  • A file entry for a new file exists, but the file fails to load somehow
  • An overridden file somehow gets loaded with the original file instead
  • An alternate path of loading is executed which I'm not hooking, or am only partially hooking somehow (one instance of this existed before but it was fixed).
  • sdmc somehow gets unmounted and causes one of the first two options
  • Overridden file allocations are too big, or the modified file itself is bad
If the bug existed between original SaltySD and post-v0.9, simply due to the complete difference between the two (one hooks top-layer functions, the other hooks at the source of loading files and indexing) I'm more inclined to believe that the constant is an error in patching nus3banks, or a lack of patching some other file. I recall during early SaltySD testing I tested a param file for someone (I forget who) which added an additional BGM song to the menu random. So it wouldn't surprise me that perhaps there's param file edits which might need to be made for nus3banks. I also recall testing a Lucina voice mod (I think from the same person, again forgot who it was) which had the side effect of being completely mute if you tried to test it in the music/sfx test screen.
Ah ok I think that's the issue. I tried using the default nus3bank in the SaltySD directory to test and it doesn't glitch. It must be an issue with the current nus3bank files used to edit

BlastXDX

3DS Hacking Era Original
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does anyone have a guide on how to add more costumes, or is it still being researched at the moment?

EDIT: Also, I've noticed some of my custom music no longer work. Any explanation for this?

2nd Edit: I've noticed so far it's only the Training Room music that doesn't play, and it still plays in the Sound Test. How odd.

Last edited by BlastXDX,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P