Hardware Smartphones as a second screen?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about, and there is a lot of logic to this thought. Nintendo has something big planned for how its handling online, most controversial of which is the revelation that you will need a smartphone in order to voice chat through the system. After some consideration, I'm not so sure this has to be as terrible of a thing that people make it out to be. I have a feeling that Nintendo's companion Switch app is going to have a lot of surprising features beyond just letting us voice chat. But I think the most could be utilized of this app if Nintendo can find a way to seamlessly combine your smartphone interaction with the Switch. While I'm not sure much can be done about this in terms of handheld mode, I do believe I may know what Nintendo could be planning. I think they are going to release a new joy con grip, one that perhaps comes in a few different sizes to match different sized smart and maybe just a universal one for those with more obscure phones. And essentially the grip will have a slot to stick your phone horizontally in the middle.

I mean Nyko is releasing this, which is similar to the idea
Clip_Power_Grip_1_1024x1024.png

But I think instead of having the phone above the controller have it in the middle like a Wii U gamepad. Then you can just use you're phone's mic for voice chat, and maybe this could allow for video chat as well if they want. Furthermore, maybe they could have the phone sync up with your Switch in someway and allow it to handle optional low level second screen stuff (say for Splatoon 2 being able to look at the map and tap on your teammate you want to jump to). If Nintendo went this route, and they actually allow us to capture video with the capture button in the future, I could also see the app allowing for us to manage our own youtube channel creations, having our phone optionally record our video of ourselves playing and choose which corner of the video we want it to display over the gameplay footage that the Switch is recording. Maybe some of that is a bit out there, but I don't think any of it would be impossible to accomplish with the Switch.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

You're thinking way too ahead and plus, if Nintendo were to make smartphones fully compatible with Switch as a crossover-type of thing then it would make the Switch in itself redundant as sales would decrease. Point being, Nintendo has had YEARS to improve their online services and they are still shit. No proper online voice-chat, shitty and barebones Switch eShop but we're to expect that it will all get much, MUCH better when it becomes a paid service. Sure.

That Nyko thing while it's a licensed product by Nintendo it's still a third party accessory and there are loads out there, mostly unofficial that can offer the same experience as one with a brand slapped on it. Hori for example released a stand for the Switch and the reason it costs more isn't necessarily that it's made of better quality (it's plastic) but rather that brand alone increased the value.

/rant

Reactions: Xiphiidae

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're thinking way too ahead and plus, if Nintendo were to make smartphones fully compatible with Switch as a crossover-type of thing then it would make the Switch in itself redundant as sales would decrease. Point being, Nintendo has had YEARS to improve their online services and they are still shit. No proper online voice-chat, shitty and barebones Switch eShop but we're to expect that it will all get much, MUCH better when it becomes a paid service. Sure.

That Nyko thing while it's a licensed product by Nintendo it's still a third party accessory and there are loads out there, mostly unofficial that can offer the same experience as one with a brand slapped on it. Hori for example released a stand for the Switch and the reason it costs more isn't necessarily that it's made of better quality (it's plastic) but rather that brand alone increased the value.

/rant

You're misunderstanding what I envision. I can't imagine a Smartphone being able to actually run Switch games on its own or even mirroring the Switch's main screen. I just envision the app being a big part of the Switch in the future, and think it'd be really neat if we could turn our joycons into a gamepad to allow for basic things, mostly online management, speaking directly into your phone's mic would obviously work just fine as the mic, so that right there is something it could accomplish no problem. And then maybe it could connect to the game you're playing for minimal OPTIONAL second screen features like what we saw on the Wii U gamepad and DS such as on the go inventory management and on the go map consultation. I'm not suggesting it could mirror the Switch and certainly not that it could handle displaying the main screen of action. I don't think their smartphone tethered online play is the greatest idea, I just think that if they utilize things properly, they could actually show the value in their method of online chat (at least when you're gaming on the TV, wouldn't work so nicely in handheld mode obviously.

And no shit, the Nyko thing is a third party accessory, it was only shown as an example of something I was talking about hypothetically, that still isn't quite what I'm talking about, but is at least a close approximation of the example I was trying to explain.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

/rant

You're misunderstanding what I envision. I can't imagine a Smartphone being able to actually run Switch games on its own or even mirroring the Switch's main screen. I just envision the app being a big part of the Switch in the future, and think it'd be really neat if we could turn our joycons into a gamepad to allow for basic things, mostly online management, speaking directly into your phone's mic would obviously work just fine as the mic, so that right there is something it could accomplish no problem. And then maybe it could connect to the game you're playing for minimal OPTIONAL second screen features like what we saw on the Wii U gamepad and DS such as on the go inventory management and on the go map consultation. I'm not suggesting it could mirror the Switch and certainly not that it could handle displaying the main screen of action. I don't think their smartphone tethered online play is the greatest idea, I just think that if they utilize things properly, they could actually show the value in their method of online chat (at least when you're gaming on the TV, wouldn't work so nicely in handheld mode obviously.

And no shit, the Nyko thing is a third party accessory, it was only shown as an example of something I was talking about hypothetically, that still isn't quite what I'm talking about, but is at least a close approximation of the example I was trying to explain.
I think the op means something like the wii u had with a map and menu management for zelda games, remember the 2nd screen thing in the playstation app that's pretty much been abandoned

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wii u, I ment wii u

souseiseki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it makes kinda sense to use your phone as a secondary screen. ie. For DS virtual console or for game ports like Tokyo Mirage (let me dream at least) or some nifty functions like OP's example of Splatoon.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it makes kinda sense to use your phone as a secondary screen. ie. For DS virtual console or for game ports like Tokyo Mirage (let me dream at least) or some nifty functions like OP's example of Splatoon.
tingle tuner 2 bois

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.