1. Psi-hate

OP Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

United States
    I thought it'd be a good idea to make a centralized R&D thread for those who are tinkering with the collection for whatever purposes. Currently, there's a lot of interest in swapping the collection's games with different ones. In this post, as more is discovered, I'll update it with information.

Any suggestions for currently found info, along with things to help people get started into researching this, would be appreciated.

Here's the post from @WatchMeNow explaining important information in regards to the process. I'll personally be looking into figuring out the solution to it.

To extract the romfs from the game, use nxdumptool.

Hope this thread will help others and facilitate a good place to research. Of course, don't link to any illegal content like keys, extracted files, etc. Thanks!

Last edited by Psi-hate, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:57 AM
  2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO

Mexico
    Nice! Good thinking about making a new thread exclusive to R&D.
    Will keep a close eye on this thread for sure :)

ploggy, Ty_, KiiWii and 2 others like this.
  3. Psi-hate

United States
    Thanks!
    Right now I'm actually having some trouble extracting the romfs of the game, as for whatever reason, my attempts with hactool fails to finish with an error like:
    I'm using keys I've dumped myself, so it's weird. Currently trying to debug it. I'm also using an administrative command prompt session, so it shouldn't be permission issues.

Here's the batch script I'm using right now for reference:

Argument 1 being the keys, Argument 2 being the NSP.

Last edited by Psi-hate, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:27 AM
  4. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

United States
    Why not just use nxdumptool and let the switch itself handle it? Its how I dumped the romfs at least.

5. Psi-hate

United States
    You pretty much saved me a lot more time. I didn't know about that haha, I don't frequent switch modding stuff enough to catch all of it.

ShadowOne333 and fate6 like this.
  6. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO

Mexico
    Best of luck with the romfs tests!

Swampat and Psi-hate like this.
  7. Psi-hate

United States
    Ok, got it dumped properly! Can finally look into it.

8. Dakota_Pixel

Dakota_Pixel Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So do we know yet where the hashes come from or what we would have to replace them with?

Last edited by Dakota_Pixel, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:19 AM
  9. Psi-hate

United States
    aads.PNG
    Weird. Hashes are wack.

10. Dakota_Pixel

Dakota_Pixel Member
    Newcomer

United States
    https://pastebin.com/32iUR7BU I used a program to create hashes for every file in my Sunshine romfs dump and nothing matches the ones its asking for, probably not necessary but i wanted to be thorough

Last edited by Dakota_Pixel, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:42 AM
    lordelan and StarGazerTom like this.
  11. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Is it possible to see what happens when you set "UseDolHash" : false, but on the sunshine .gcm provided by nintendo?

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I haven't looked at this, but ps3 pkg files use a hash (sha-1), which is the bottom two lines of the pkg. the hash is everything but those two lines if that helps. it may not be the complete file.

Psi-hate likes this.
  13. Dakota_Pixel

Dakota_Pixel Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That seems to work. I also got the game to render at a lower resolution using the same file that UseDolHash is in by setting handheld upscale to 1 instead of 2.

14. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Sweet, I wonder if the hash search is even worth it then. I'm gonna try to tinker but I haven't messed with the rom/exefs stuff in a long time.

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    the boot.dol may be a common file for the emulator meaning it's probably the main executable like the EBOOT.BIN on the ps3, 4, and vita or the default.xex on the 360 for that particular game. it's the first file that's loaded, so other files could be named anything. I'm assuming the cube like the wii uses it inside the gcm. try to look for some identifying marker or even possibly a hex length that's normal (if they're all the same). look in a homebrew boot.dol and see if there's some identifying mark to show the beginning and possibly end of the file, then look for something like that in the gcm. hash the file, which I'm assuming is the boot.dol. most of the time files are padded with 0s, sometimes Fs to equal 16 bytes or a full line once the end of the file has been reached. if it's a hex length thing, there could be dozens of lines with just that to fill up the size.

16. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    The sunshine .gcm provided does work on dolphin but at 25 fps for me and the videos play audio but only the subtitles, and some of the sound is weird like the name of the button is cut out. Also in the subtitles and the map screen there are references to keyboard inputs. upload_2020-9-15_23-50-50.png
    upload_2020-9-15_23-51-26.png

And I think the hash will be of the .dol executable within the .gcm, not of the iso itself.

Last edited by Tomobobo, Sep 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    KiiWii likes this.
  17. KiiWii

KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    Maybe set ‘use dol hash’ to false, or comment out/remove hash related categories altogether.... see if ninty actually made them a prerequisite :ph34r:

edit:

looking forward to a compatibility list soon :)

peteruk likes this.
  18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you also need to determine if it's using compression. I don't know about nintendo, but sony likes to use zlib. in fact, both the ps3 and the vita (probably ps4 as well) use it. adrenaline, for example, is compressed using that format. it's 78 DA in hex, and you can decompress adrenaline with simply zip.

19. rafaelia

rafaelia Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I'm thinking gcm is a stripped build with assets linked to and loaded externally, or all the assets are in the gcm and the switch emu is loading them in on the fly

Tomobobo likes this.
  20. Zen11

Zen11 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    In the stream of retrogamer74 they said that you need to erase the first 100 bits of the game and then recalculate the hash.

StarGazerTom likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Development, Research, SM3DAS