Hacking Slowdown/framerate issues in games?

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
I owned a Wii a year or so ago and only ever played originals from disc.

Now I have another Wii and I only ever play backups from my Seagate 320GB portable USB drive using USB Loader GX.

Is it just me or do some games played from USB exhibit more slowdown/framerate issues when played from USB? Is this even possible (given that I reckon even a crap USB drive must read at faster speeds than a DVD disc).

Is it something to do with the type of USB drive I have? Or is it all in me head?

Admittedly I haven't played many games from USB that I also used to have on disc with my 1st Wii, but Mario Kart springs to mind - I'm almost sure I can see very slight slowdown when playing it, and I'm also almost sure it didn't happen a year ago when I played it from the original disc?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Christopho said:
There's no way that a hdd can be slower than a dvd. I first used dvd as a method of playing backups and it was just horrible, every time I played a game that had video there was so much stuttering I wanted to kill myself.

hard drive is quicker than soft mod or old mod chip that runs at 3x speed. Sometimes 6x is faster though, movies are the most noticeable. Might be something to do with latency, dvd will be constantly reading while hdd is only reading when it's told to. In high bitrate movies it might not issue the reads quick enough.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it could be 1 of 2 things either your HDD is having problems or you got a bad dump of whichever games you are playing i use USB Loader GX and ive never had any problems on just under 150 games.

resincake

Trophies
XP
Country
It could also be your Wii itself. Recently my Wii started to show Vertical lines on afew games, and only on darker screens. Also, in thiose games I would get the occasional stutter or slowdown. I sent it in to Ninty for repairs and when I got it back the problems (including the stutters) were gone.

Just another idea thrown in .. :>

If you do want to test you GFX chip ( I presume that was the issue) you could load Zelda Windwaker, when you go through any door hit the button on your pad, to put the camera behind you, if you chip is starting to overheat you will see vertical lines on the darker side of links hat. I read this on another forum when I originally was diagnosing my problematic Wii, and this always worked for me, and when it was repaired and I did the same test the lines were gone. Hope that is useful in any way.. :>

Another game to test if you havent got WindWaker is The Grudge (Juon) or even Driver Parallel Lines, both of those showed the vertical lines a lot. Driver in most cutscenes and The Grudge whenever I looked at a dark wall (and there are lots, especially the first level) .. may be worth testing if you are coming to the end of your warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet