Slight Saving Lag

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Prince Valmont, Aug 26, 2010.

Aug 26, 2010

Slight Saving Lag by Prince Valmont at 9:16 PM (3,126 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Prince Valmont
    OP

Member Prince Valmont GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I just switched from a first-gen R4 to a SCDS2, and I noticed that it takes much longer to save a DS game compared to the R4.

For example: Dragon Quest IX. On the R4, I would go to a church and save. It would finish saving even before the "saving church music" finished. I figured that must be normal. On the SCDS2, the saving didn't finish until 3 seconds after the saving music had ended, adding up a total of 8-9 seconds to save. The R4 only took about 2-3. Is this normal? Even Pokemon SoulSilver took what seemed to be an unnatural length of time to save.

Any ideas or even possibly solutions?

2. SirCB85

Member SirCB85 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It´s the same with mine and Digimon World DS, takes a lot longer to save then it did on my AceKart2i.

3. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    For me, DQIX on the DSTWO finishes saving well before the music is finished, although Pokémon does take a rather long time to complete.

4. fishykipper

Member fishykipper pkmn breeder

United Kingdom
    yeah, i commented on this before. the supercards dstwo is A LOT slower at saving than other cards. Quite a few games have lag as well, especially the pokemon series.

5. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Put your old 1 or 2GB SD in a with a couple of test ROMs and see what happens [​IMG]

6. Prince Valmont
    OP

United States
    Ah, you knew I was using a 4GB or above? Was that the problem? High Capacity MicroSD may have longer save/write times?

7. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Depends - some microSD cards are slower than others, yours must be slower.

8. Mantis41

United States
    Older / smaller SDs are based on SLC (single layer cell), where as most SDHC cards are based on MLC (multi layer cell). Most flash carts seem to perform a lot better with SLC cards.

Different MLC SDs also have different controllers which can be a contributing factor. Don't quote me on this, but I think the Toshiba controller is a lot faster.

I also think different flash carts can handle the lag from a poor performing SD in different ways. I am only guessing here, but I would speculate that different caching methods between flash carts can cause variations in performance.

9. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    True, but some higher-end microSDHC cards use SLC for faster write speeds. My 8GB microSDHC works BETTER on the DSTWO than on AKAIO 1.7.1 - it saves faster, and the intro video for Avalon Code (What I use to benchmark my microSD cards) doesn't lag NEAR as much as on AKAIO.

10. 1Player

Member 1Player GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm using a slow 16gb class2 sandisk and it saves pretty fast...

11. Prince Valmont
    OP

United States
    I'm using the 4GB Kingston I bought from ShopTemp (in the SCDS2 bundle)

12. 1Player

Member 1Player GBAtemp Regular

United States

for some reason alot of people come on the supercard forum and has said the micro sd card bundled with their flash cart from shoptemp don't work well..I'm not sure why. I always buy micro sd from amazon it's cheaper and I never had any problems with them..

13. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeah, I bet it's the card you're using. When playing DX IX for me it always finishes saving well before the music is over.

14. Mantis41

United States
    I just put a copy of Avalon on my Acekard and the intro is as smooth as silk. I could not detect a single hesitation.

15. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Well the fastest microSD card I have is a class-4 =P

16. Prince Valmont
    OP

United States
    9th Sage, could you help me out by telling me what brand/size microSD card you're rocking? I just tried saving a state in Lameboy, and it took 6 seconds. I know now that I will not be able to handle these times in the future. If I had a card (@ 4GB or higher) that saves as fast as my old 2GB, I can be happy again.

17. SirCB85

Member SirCB85 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Okay, I´m at a loss here.
    Up until now I thought the higher the Class of a SDHC the higher the read- writespeed it supports.
    Now I made a little test using my new 4GB Class-4 SDHC I bought from ShopTemp allong with the SCDSTwo and on the other Hand my old 4GB Class-2 SDHC I previosly used in my AK2i and wanted to keep using in that so I don´t have both OS´s on one Kart.
    Well, testing both in the SCDSTwo by saving in Digimon World DS I´ve seen it takes about 1 Sec to save on the Class-2 and 8 Sec to save on the Class-4.
    Is that normal, or should I be worried about the long time it takes on the Class-4?

18. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's an Adata 8 GB Class 6 SDHC card.

19. Mantis41

United States
    The Class is the sequential read speed only.

We are more interested in the random access speed as games will very rarely load sequentialy. Even the in game movies are probably being loaded as seperate bits and pieces being cached as it plays and not as one sequential chunk.

You will find smaller cards have a much better random access speed than the larger cards. Also SLC cards have much higher random access than MLC cards. The write speed of the card is more effected by the quality of the cards controller and has very little to do with the class.

20. Prince Valmont
    OP

United States
    So do you have a recommended brand? I would like to know what to buy. I want at least a 4GB, one that will load the games without hiccups, but above all: one that won't take 8-10 seconds to write/save a game. Brand name/Class (even though you say it's not important to the writing speed)