Sleepy WD drive problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by David80008, Aug 17, 2012.

Aug 17, 2012

Sleepy WD drive problem by David80008 at 6:45 PM (770 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. David80008
    OP

Newcomer David80008 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hello, Using a 1TB WD elements HDD with my Wii and It seems that if it doesn't load anything for around 15 mins, the drive enters sleep mode which in turn crashes a lot of games as it takes too long to start back up. Especially Gamecube games(gives same screen as the good old 'click click click' crash).

I have read varying solutions to this so I would greatly appreciate if someone with the same drive could give me a step by step guide and possibly link me to the exact program/s that I have to use to sort this out once and for all.

Thanks, David

2. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    I don't know the exact steps for your drive model but these are the general steps:

1. Your drive should come with either a CD or with the setup file pre-installed in the drive
    2. Either way, install the software on your computer
    3. Look for the power saving options and turn it off
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

3. David80008
    OP

United Kingdom
    There's no cd and if there was any software on the drive originally, it's gone now. I have all the wd tools somewhere but there's lots, I'm not sure where I find the sleep time option and to top it all off, I have multiple sources saying that the WD sleep timer settings won't help me one bit but i need some other tool to sort it out...

Help...

EDIT: For the record, I actually have WD Smartware on one of my WD 'My Book' drives but it doesn't work with my 'Elements' drives...

4. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    You should be able to find the software for your particular drive on the WD website.

5. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
  6. David80008
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you, this looks like exactly the guide i need.