Gaming Skyward Sword system Update

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
If your wii is on the original firmware, any game released after the first mandatory update would require a system update! Thus if someone hasn't played a wii game since 4.2, they will need an update to play Zelda because it is 4.3. Its just a Cover Your A$$ type of thing. All of those red boxes are put in there by the legal team. They dont want someone to raise hell and sue because they dont want to update their wii at all and when they try to play "X" game they purchased it wont work without an update. Without this warning (among others), people would be more likely to at least attempt if not win a lawsuit based on the fact that "they were not informed that they would have to modify their original purchase in order to play newer software."

It is possible that Zelda will require a new update, but I think we would have heard something by now. In all likely hood the news of a new update would have trickled down from some disgruntled developers (even third party developers would know if a new update is coming, as they would need this knowledge for their own projects).

Edit: Damn! daniekraak beat me to my point....!!
I don't think you understand how updates work. The System Menu version has nothing to do with your ability to run a game. I could run every game on v1.0 if I wanted to.
But the system menu version is used though to determine if you have what is needed to run the game (ioses). A lot of people on this site wanted to play the game legally from the original disc, which isn't gonna work if they want to play it from the disc channel if they don't have the correct ios.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think you understand how updates work. The System Menu version has nothing to do with your ability to run a game. I could run every game on v1.0 if I wanted to.
No you couldn't. You would have no network support (the early system menus updated themselves as soon as you established a network connection) and motion plus games would always try to make you watch the demonstration video.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
No you couldn't. You would have no network support (the early system menus updated themselves as soon as you established a network connection) and motion plus games would always try to make you watch the demonstration video.
Once the game is started, the System Menu isn't running, and after watching the video once (maybe once per game, but still) I could play the game.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It makes no difference if the system menu is running or not; if you haven't set up a network connection you get no network support in games. If you do set up a network connection, system menu 1.0 automatically updates itself. Hence no network support if you're running games from system menu 1.0.
The "Motion Plus video has been watched" flag is a system setting that the early system menus don't understand, so they always remove it from the stored settings (if your "Settings Editor" program wasn't a bunch of copied code, maybe you'd realize this).

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It makes no difference if the system menu is running or not; if you haven't set up a network connection you get no network support in games. If you do set up a network connection, system menu 1.0 automatically updates itself. Hence no network support if you're running games from system menu 1.0.
The "Motion Plus video has been watched" flag is a system setting that the early system menus don't understand, so they always remove it from the stored settings (if your "Settings Editor" program wasn't a bunch of copied code, maybe you'd realize this).
Just because it's removed when you load the SM, that doesn't mean you can't add it again when you play a game. Network access may be disabled, but that doesn't mean you can't play a game.

None of the code in Settings Editor is copied actually. Stfour helped me set up the GUI in the later release (thus the name change), but other than that I did all of it on my own.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A system update could be included in Zelda, like a lot of game which have the IOS, system menu and the channels included in the update partition.
I don't think it's new, and even games without that warning on the cover contain an update partition, but as it's not the last one they don't advertise it?

Anyway, an update could always be required by the game, it's easy to include a check of all IOS and system menu version while booting the game. But it's also easy to patch.
They could even include codes to replace found cIOS with stub if they include the data as binary form in the dol.
Their AP type are clearly saying that they don't care.

At best, we will have a new AntiPiracy check with access test (Kirby, Tintin).

@ManFranceGermany:
even with a hardmod, you don't have to update.
You can always run original games with a disc loader, or dump it and remove the partition (wbb) then use the backup, or use Priiloader to disable update check.
As long as you install the official needed IOS (which will be provided as wad in the update partition), your game will work from the Disc channel.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just because it's removed when you load the SM, that doesn't mean you can't add it again when you play a game. Network access may be disabled, but that doesn't mean you can't play a game.

Yes, you can add the flag again. By rewatching the video. Meaning tueidj's point is valid. And before you claim you could load it via a homebrew loader that would place the flag, you couldn't because there is no easy way to run homebrew on 1.0 (All game based exploits require you to run a game officially, which will require an update for all exploited games. All non-game exploits require a specific SM, all >1.0) You could burn a trucha-signed disc and boot it with the modchip, but that's quite a lot of hassle (loading a homebrew disc, then switching it out for another one - may as well just watch the video again).

And not having network access would indeed not prevent you playing games, but it would probably hinder your enjoyment of at least some of them.

Plus you would have to have installed all the latest IOS before installing 1.0, or else burn a trucha signed disc with all of them on the update partition or something, considering the lack of homebrew ability of 1.0.

Besides all this, your point was irrelevant in the first place. The post you quoted was pointing out that to play a game via the official means (i.e. from original disc on a wii without SM patches or modchips blocking updates), almost all games will require an update if you're on an old System Menu. Because when games are released, they almost all contain the latest SM at that point, along with the latest IOS etc. So running it from the disc channel will always prompt for an update if you're not on the latest - his point was that just because a game may require an update for some users doesn't mean that there is a new System Menu/System Update.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
None of the code in Settings Editor is copied actually. Stfour helped me set up the GUI in the later release (thus the name change), but other than that I did all of it on my own.
Bullshit, the code to edit SYSCONF is from AnyRegionChanger. Do you want me to post disassembled code from both programs so everyone can see for themselves?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I never said you could run the game well on v1.0. It would be a PITA to do so, and you would have to take lots of steps that could be avoided by updating. My point was it is possible.

Bullshit, the code to edit SYSCONF is from AnyRegionChanger. Do you want me to post disassembled code from both programs so everyone can see for themselves?
If you mean conf.h from libogc then yes, but the rest is mine. I used libogc just like everybody else, big deal. I don't know why you are so obsessed with this.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you please go back on topic and stop this flaming discussion?
It was all about: if Zelda have a new update, will it be required?

It will for users launching game from System menu if they don't have any way to block the update partition. (modchip or Priiloader)

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If there's one, wait to read about other user's experience before updating too.
As every other games you will be able to dump it and play it without updating if you use an USBloader.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I sure hope there isn't an update. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there is.
I'm sure there will be, and I'm also sure that like virtually every other update, it will be useless and irrelevant. I am fairly confident it will not be in anyway necessary, and also that TT will release a new HackMii Installer to work with it fairly quickly. A few exploits may be lost, but there are others and they will be replaced, I'm sure.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sure hope there isn't an update. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there is.
I'm sure there will be, and I'm also sure that like virtually every other update, it will be useless and irrelevant. I am fairly confident it will not be in anyway necessary, and also that TT will release a new HackMii Installer to work with it fairly quickly. A few exploits may be lost, but there are others and they will be replaced, I'm sure.
If there's an update, chances are it'll still be vulnerable to letterbomb, simply because SS was probably finalized before letterbomb was even published.

Andrew_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would imagine skyward sword have the same update files as Kirby Return to Dreamland, although I could be wrong =P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s