sky3ds worth it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mcjones92, Aug 22, 2015.

1. mcjones92
    OP

mcjones92 Kingpin

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    In the ghetto
    I've done my research, I understand for the most part how this flashcart works. The private headers might be an issue should I decide to go online; how easy is it to purchase a private header from someone willing to extract it or whatever? Also, I have seen that a couple games are incompatible recently possibly as an anti piracy workaround. So in anyone's opinion is it worth it now? I don't want to buy it if games from here on out don't work. Also, how easy is it to put the game on the microSD? Simple as drag and drop?

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    What firmware is your 3ds on?

3. mcjones92
    OP

mcjones92 Kingpin

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    In the ghetto
    I'm on current. So unfortunately no gateway.

4. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    So long as you buy it understanding Nintendo can block it at any time, then you have nothing to complain about when they do.

I'd personally wait until the 10.0 firmware drops before dropping coin for it. I'm confident they will block it (taking into account recent anti-piracy measures).

But if they don't, then I think it's safe to say that they probably won't for the entirety of the 10.x line of updates.

But even if you do decide to jump in and get one, it's always best to checkin here before updating.

Last edited by Zidapi, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Then its your only option newer games are for sure going to have this new protection especially Nintendo first party titles. So you have 2 options, wait for a new kernel exploit and use it with a normal sky3ds card or wait and buy the next revision of a sky3ds card that bypassses the new check and pray nintendo just doesn't change the key used in future titles.

6. mcjones92
    OP

mcjones92 Kingpin

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    In the ghetto
    So if I were to buy it, there would be no way to update the card to bypass the new protection a whole new card needs to be revised?

7. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Yes sky3ds plays id say about 98% of all current 3DS titles but that number will decrease as time goes on. The only think sky can do is make a new card that passes the new check, and lets say they manage to do this Nintendo can just make games that require a new response that sky could never emulate.

8. mcjones92
    OP

mcjones92 Kingpin

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    In the ghetto
    Hmmmm...I really want to get it but it is a big investment...I remember the last time being active on the forum was during the first gen flashcarts, it seemed like there was so many options, now it just seems so limited. I can't complain though, I'm just very undecided whether I should just buy it because it doesn't seem like flashcarts are popping up everywhere for the 3ds.

9. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Yep, exactly.

Honestly, I don't think they have any interest in making an updatable flashcart. If they did they'd have done it for the current revision (v2).

10. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Might aswell pick up a O3DS with exploitable FW as they are 70$ RN at Gamestop with a rebate.