Sky3ds or Gateway3ds ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sunny_lovely, May 19, 2015.

1. Sunny_lovely
    OP

Sunny_lovely Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2012
    India
    Amritsar, Punjab
    I am looking for a 3ds flashcart(To play 3ds roms)
    I have my eyes on Sky3ds and then Gateway
    Which flashcart should I buy and From where(worldwide shipping) ?
    Thanks in advance
    Please legit help

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    Depends,
    what is you version of 3ds/n3ds?
    if it is 9.3 or above, then you need sky3ds, gateway won't work at all.
    9.2 or below, then both gateway and sky3ds work.
    With gateway, you can do more thing than sky3ds, but I don't use them a lot. For example, you can use it to decrypt 3ds rom, so you can play pokemon hacked rom for example.
    Gateway is also region free, so you can play game from another region that aren't released in your region.
    There is also the game menu. By pressing the select button on the home menu, you can choose the game you want to play from a menu that pops up.

However, sky3ds is way more restricted.
    Sky3ds has a blue/red button on the card itself. Depending on the quality of your microsd, it can takes time to choose your game.
    You press the button, then wait few seconds so the sky3ds load the next game on the list. So if you want to play the 5th game on the list, you press the button, wait 2-10 seconds, press the button again, wait 2-10 seconds, etc..
    So, with the sky3ds, it can takes time before to play your game.
    However, with Sky3ds, you can update your 3ds to the latest version since it hasn't been patched by nintendo yet (and probably never will)

There are advantage on both flashcard, so, it's your choice

Margen67 likes this.
  3. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Sky3DS does basic 1:1 emulation of a retail flash cart and that's it. No DLC or eshop games.

With Gateway, you can also play eshop games and apply DLC's to your games.

4. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    What's the firmware of your 3ds?

Pasta is probably the best bet at this point in time. Not to mention it's FREE

Warft likes this.
  5. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Op I have tried a lot and fucked up a lot. Pasta cfw USES YOUR SYSNAND! If you have a nand modded system then by all means pasta, I use gateway and I love it the amount I paid is better than bricking 2 system using these free methods. Do your research many have posted about the 2 here.

Margen67 and nxwing like this.
  6. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    You realize gateway is custom firmware too right?

Margen67 and Warft like this.
  7. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    From what I understand, gateway uses the emunand, it's like another sysnand, so the real one isn't affected at all

8. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    I'm not here to debate what gateway does vs pasta. Gateway boots cfw you make from your sysnad on SD. Pasta cfw uses your sysnda that is dangerous you can't not point that out. Yes op that is correct if my emunand messed up I format and start over with a ROM to update it.

Margen67 and nxwing like this.
  9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    People install cias on sysnand with gateway because they don't unlink nands. Give it time and pasta will have emunand too (probably will use gateway emunand like palantine cfw does)

Margen67 likes this.
  10. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    OK but is it safe? You have to tell op installing cias to your DIRECT sysnand is not safe, well inform how you will but remember op you are responsible if you use pasta and install to sysnand regardless if anyone tells you about the potential danger.

I never will revert my gateway with it and my 2ds and n3dsxl I will never miss a vun firmware because backups and I can go on the eshop when gateway updates,I'm using ROMs from other regions than the us too. I wouldn't pay 100$ practically for a sky for only ROMs that could be blocked at next ofw

nxwing likes this.
  11. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Sure, "free"... Plus the $100 CN card ;)

Margen67 and Adeka like this.
  12. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Installing games only is safe. No chance of brick (Banner bricks do not exist either)

Don't start trying to install other things that might modify your system menu. And don't uninstall anything either....Pretty much the same rules as gateway emunand.

Until someone adds mset

13. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan

If op doesn't own a gateway I'm pretty sure he only knows about what he has read not what he himself has done, reading is comforting, having your own system screwed up because someone says something is safe and the person who tried didn't fully understand is the situation who awaits anyone who wishes to jump on something so quickly. I would suggest downgrading to use cfw and all of that garbage or any other method besides gateway on o3ds only if you came to my house and beat me with a pipe until I was dead and you yourself installed cfw...now if it was a ps3 or other system with a functioning on boot cfw that's it properly made

nxwing likes this.
  14. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    And how would you go by installing MSET? ;) it's a closed loop.

15. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Well the OP could run Palantine cfw instead since that has emunand ;)

It's open source. You never know.

16. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    By the way, the OP want to know more about Gateway and Sky3ds, not about CFW.
    If he wants to know more about CFW, then he should respond to this thread to tell us :)

17. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    If he does good luck that is exactly why I had to trade my o3dsxl in for a 2ds because that whole deal isn't the best option or the safest. That was a good day Mario party 10 and a hackable 2ds all because the method of updating emunand through downgrading and all of that bullshit isn't fool proof. I like full control anyways I flash kernels and ROMs constantly so I prefer gateway and its fgpa
    Nearly keeping op informed. Point is gateway gateway gateway,I wish I could pay them every time I say it...lol other then the fact that if I press b on the multi ROM menu it freezes and I have to take the card out and put it back in its perfect in every way vs me ripping my own hair out trying to use free methods

nxwing likes this.
  18. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I'm pretty sure he just wants to know which one to buy and we were just explaining another option that just came out.

19. RageKage14

RageKage14 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2008
    United States
    Ripping your hair out trying free methods? I'm an ultimate noob when it comes to the 3DS (just got it three days ago) and I got PastaCFW working within ten minutes of reading about it.

Margen67 likes this.
  20. Sunny_lovely
    OP

Sunny_lovely Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2012
    India
    Amritsar, Punjab
    My head is spinning by all the nand talk
    My 3ds is 9.7
    So I guess I'll need sky3ds
    Now the question is best place to buy it ?
    I don't care about shipping time
    And what is pasta ?
    Thank you everyone