Size for msd card

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by jophilo, Jul 23, 2009.

Jul 23, 2009

Size for msd card by jophilo at 8:07 AM (945 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. jophilo
    OP

Newcomer jophilo Member

France
    Hi,
    i'm about to buy another card for my acekard2 and i was wondering which size can i go for. I know that it's virtually no limit but for a good use, for a better confort, what is the max size to use ?
    By the way, i'm using Akaio as firmware and i'm using moonshell2 to, that's why i want to buy a new card.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    The AKAIO wiki has the following.

3. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Yeah, the biggest microSD cards you can get now are 16GB. Those are pretty expensive though...and I'm pretty sure they also tend to be slow. A nice, big size would be 8GB. I have a 4GB one, and it's fine...though I must admit, a bigger one would be nice. Technically, the AK2 can support up to 32GB, since that's the limit of SDHC...but there aren't any cards that bit out yet.

4. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    in my experience however big your card is, it'd always be nice to have a bigger one. i've been using a 4gb for ages but i've just now ordered an 8. and probably by the time the 8 is looking too small, 16s might just be affordable and fast enough. and then 32... assuming the acekard can support it.

but then i will have reached the limit of SDHC D: and i will be reduced to waiting patiently for the release of the next SD specification (SDFHC?) and the DS card to support it.

5. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There are some 32 GB microSDHC cards but they're hella expensive right now. I don't have one i just have a 4gb which seems to do just fine with what i do with it.

6. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Wait, really? They only just barely have 32GB SD cards...I can't say I've ever even heard of a 32GB mSD card before. Pretty sure sandisk only makes up to 16GB right now.

...oh yeah, and the theoretical absolute limit for how big an SDHC card can be is 32GB. This is just an arbitrary limit set by the SD organization, but the true limit is absolutely massive. Either way, I'm pretty sure the theoretical limit to how much the AK2 can support is still 32GB. Just that, I've never even heard of a microSD card that big before.

7. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    SDXC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDXC#SDXC

8. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Haha, microSDXC cards that big are totally unrealistic right now. Especially seeing as how there's no such thing as microSDXC as of this moment. Give it a few years, though, and we'll probably have 128GB microSDXC cards about the same price as the 16GB ones are now. Pretty scary how fast things progress. [​IMG]