Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaosZeroX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone can PM me a link to this update package?

N3DS 9.2.0-20U:
MD5: e5f40c3b155cfd12ef38be35d2e81d2e
SHA-1: 377c140377fb6cf31a0c032c4e1196cc521f87fe?

The...forum that hosts these files changed the files and their N3DS 9.2.0-20U download has a mismatch on the MD5.
Downgrading with it left me with a partial downgrade with CIAs that were not updated that were not included with the download with the mismatch MD5.

P.S. Im following this guide to fix my partial downgrade.
http://pastebin.com/UzJ3JSjq

Last edited by KhaosZeroX,

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hell-o there!
after downgrading from 9.9 to 9.2, it froze.. and after forced restart, its kinda brick, it opens the menu for 2 seconde and give a error saying to restart the console and try again. And when i start in recovery, black screen.. do i have another option then to hardmod to reinstall my nand backup?

Since i can start the console in menuhax by holding L (but still gives an error before even landing in hbl), is it possible to make it boot in sysupdater right away?

RhythmCat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell-o there!
after downgrading from 9.9 to 9.2, it froze.. and after forced restart, its kinda brick, it opens the menu for 2 seconde and give a error saying to restart the console and try again. And when i start in recovery, black screen.. do i have another option then to hardmod to reinstall my nand backup?

Since i can start the console in menuhax by holding L (but still gives an error before even landing in hbl), is it possible to make it boot in sysupdater right away?
I don't think so. Since recovery mode doesn't work... did you try removing your SD card first? ouo

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yah i tried removing the micro sd, even tried deleting the extdata thinking it was menuhax preventing 9.2 menu to launch..

Oh well, i tried this for testing stuff so i kinda assume some bricks once in a while :P

.. soldering time, it seems..

RhythmCat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yah i tried removing the micro sd, even tried deleting the extdata thinking it was menuhax preventing 9.2 menu to launch..

Oh well, i tried this for testing stuff so i kinda assume some bricks once in a while :P

.. soldering time, it seems..
Well, the hardmod is calling you :3

Reactions: puss2puss

otakusensei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a N3DS Animal Crossing bundle and tried to downgrade it from 9.8 to 9.2. Downloaded all the packages suggested, checked hashes everything looked good. I used Menuhax to launch HBL and it bricked pretty quick into the process, had to recover to 10.6 to get it to do anything. I'm returning that unit and picking up another today. Anyone have any tips? I grabbed a copy of Cubic Ninja to use as a new entry point, any idea if that will be a better option? Anyone have any recent experience with this?

dragonjud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a N3DS Animal Crossing bundle and tried to downgrade it from 9.8 to 9.2. Downloaded all the packages suggested, checked hashes everything looked good. I used Menuhax to launch HBL and it bricked pretty quick into the process, had to recover to 10.6 to get it to do anything. I'm returning that unit and picking up another today. Anyone have any tips? I grabbed a copy of Cubic Ninja to use as a new entry point, any idea if that will be a better option? Anyone have any recent experience with this?

I had the same experience with the same N3ds yesterday. Ended with frankenfirmware and fixed it (with a lot help from other members). My recommendation based on my experience, I would try to do one of the hokey things that others suggest (e.g. update with a cart based game like Fire Emblem to 10.3), and then try again. For whatever reason downgrading on an N3ds from 9.x to 9.2 is very, very unstable. Sometimes the downgrade stops a few files in. Other times it gets to half way, and then stops (my occurrence), and other times it works flawlessly.
I know I have a N3dsxl on 9.9 that I'm not touching until something better comes along.

And for those that keep blaming user error, no it is not always user error. I triple checked my files, and have various antivirus and anti-malware programs on my pc (for those that want to place the blame there).
The fact is, you can do everything right, but getting into the entry point is unstable, and the code that executes once you're in seems also unstable (specially with N3ds)

Last edited by dragonjud,

otakusensei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What entry point were you using? I just got a new replacement so I'm planning on doing it again with Ninjhax in a minute. But I may go for OoTHax.

Trike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a system error message on the bottom screen when downgrading on my New 3DS XL. I restarted the 3DS and only got a black screen. I removed the microsd and everything worked fine. So I formatted the microsd to start again. But now the New 3DS will not recognize the card. I even used SDFormatter to overwrite and then mini partition tools to format as FAT32 and it won't recognize it. It will still recognize other microSD cards though. Is there any fix for this? The card still works fine on my PC. The only other one I have at the moment is the default 4GB microsd. If I downgraded with that one, how easy would it be to switch over to a new microSD card in the future? Could I just copy the contents of the card to a new one?

dragonjud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used OOTHax, although I'm not certain that's the problem. I checked all my files with Safesysupdater, and then launched sysupdater (since there were many posts about safesysupdater quitting mid-way). The downgrade went half way(probably around 20 titles or so). I was fortunate enough that it got to Nativefirm (9.2) before it quit. I tried using Pasta, miniPasta, to install the .cia for the newest sysupdater, but the frankenfirmware wouldn't allow those to run/boot. I gave up on that plan, and tried using SafeSysupdater to finish, but it kept choking at different points (mainly step #5).
Irritated at that point, I simply relaunched sysupdater, and it worked on the 3rd try.

I still ended with 3 mixed titles (Amiibo settings, which you cannot avoid), and two titles that are not part of the downgrade packs being distributed (make sure your pack has 104 titles, so you don't end up with too much extra cleanup work). Most people are ignoring those 3 extra titles and moving on (don't seem to be vital to running emunands and custom firmware). There're other threads on how to possibly clean/replace them (if you finish the downgrade and care enough). Otherwise, be glad and ignore them.

Starrypop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would any of you guys even recommend doing this on a n3ds in any 9.X version? 264 pages and I don't want to bother reading through every single one

otakusensei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realized that Ninjhax isn't going to work as my entry point and now I'm really thinking about just sitting on this unit until Gateway releases their downgrade. Running GW is my primary goal, and that sweet debugger. I've got a Sky3DS that I've loaded OoT on, but I can't get the exploited sav to save.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Tried another set. (10.2)

Again it took more than one attempt through safesysupdater (regular sysupdater either has very low chance of success or is not working for another reason, but I never got past the cia error), which means alternate entry point (like OOT3D) which will work for "in-between" firmware states is almost certainly necessary to prevent accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.