Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks so much dude that worked like a charm , RX-E 9.5.0-28 on the very 1st try
so obviously the problem is not with sysupdater it is to do with the instability of on hax 2.5 so hopefully when hax 3.0 is released the DG process will go munch more smoothly from then on
AWESOME!
rick-morty-job.gif

Reactions: weatMod

rfire90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have successfully downgraded my N3DS, now trying to downgrade an O3DS for a friend. Whenever I launch the sysupdater posted by Julian it instantly crashed, I have tried multiple times. However, the latest one here: https://github.com/profi200/sysUpdater/releases launches fine, but when I press downgrade I get the "titleException...Failed to get CIA file info!" error. Have retried around 30 times already and have tried both browserhax and menuhax, don't have any others available to me. Any ideas? It was much quicker on my N3DS.

Reonu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Quick question: can I block my new 3DS from automatically downloading updates and spamming me with PLEASE UPDATE TEH CONSOLE via DNS or something? I don't have the message yet, but I don't want to eventually have it.

D

Deleted User

Will this work with the full 4.5 update pack? or does it have to be 9.2?

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i did everything I was supposed to do in the tutorial and it still screwed up... So I came back here for help :D

Attempting to downgrade to 9.2 from 9.4.0.21U

What I did:
I got the files from the ISO site (I'm positive they're the right files)
I extracted them directly into the "updates" folder from the .zip in my downloads
I put sysUpdate into my "3ds" folder
I remove my SD from my computer and insert it into my 3ds
I attempt browserhax 5 billion times
it finally works
I go to sysUpdate. It doesn't do anything when I push the button.
(Repeat previous 3 steps 3 more times)
Take SD out of 3ds and into Computer
Completely formats SD and starts from step 1, even redownloaded the starter kit
(begins from the beginning, continuing identically until the sysUpdate step)
Installs OoThax onto my OoT3d cart (I usually use that for my N3ds so I was hesitant to use it)
Attempts using sysUpdate from OoThax, same issue as Browserhax
Uses OoTHax to install Menuhax
Uses Menuhax to run sysUpdate

Ok, here's where it starts going awry.

[start of 3ds text]

Getting CIA file informations...

000400DB00010302.cia Installed
000400DB00010502.cia Installed
000400DB00017302.cia Installed
0004009B00012302.cia Installed
0004001000021900.cia
fsException:
fe.cpp:117: Result: 0xD8E0806A
Failed to write to file!
Did you store the update files in '/updates'?

[end of 3ds text]

Yes, i did store the files in subdirectory '/updates'.
My 3ds is still on. I left it open from about 12:00 (CST) last night to about 5:50 (CST) to see if it would do anything, it was plugged into the charger. Nothing happened. So, here I am.
My first thought was "go tell these people what happened".
My second thought was "try safemode startup".
my third thought was "actually, don't touch anything until someone here tells me what to do"

I don't need an immediate response, I'm not going to be able to come back to this for at least 8 hours.
Thanks for all this stuff though :D

[EDIT] it's an old 3ds.

[EDIT 2] I figured this out, i had a bad updates folder... i only got 63 of the 126 files when i downloaded it ._.

Last edited by Dylan the Tactician,

Angelikita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why for some it takes to long to downgrade? The program worked on my old 3ds on the first try, second really the first time I run it I put an update folder inside an other update folder a the program did nothing because it didn't had the files.

Lyomak

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
Colombia
My n3DS took around 40 resets to get it working. A friend's n3DS took.... the first try! Also an o3DS and a o3DS XL worked with no hassle. 4/4 consoles downgraded with no problems so far and with CFW installed already. Thanks again for your tutorial. :D

xdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Successfully downgraded a 10.3.0-28E O3DS to 9.2.0-20E using sysUpdater and menuhax/shufflehax as the entry point, and submitted my information via the form in the OP; now setting up rxTools, EmuNAND and the like.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks to this really simple guide my golden/black Zelda ALBW O3DS XL also went smoothly from 10.3.0-28E to 9.2.0-20E using sysupdater loading via menuhax. I also filled out the form in the OP and already setup menuhax on my now 9.2 system again.

Squirtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eritrea
My 3ds is on 10.1 and I couldn't downgrade, when I press "Y" nothing happens :/

I wait for some times and nothing, I use themehax for access homebrew, does anyone can help me?
I did all steps.
I dont have FBI, should I get it before?

Edited: I opened an app and forced to close, couldnt reach downgrade screen after this(black screen always, seems to be more easily when I dont open any app), I'm trying again.

Last edited by Squirtle,

Squirtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eritrea
Ok it hapened!!! I did downgrade but my 3ds doesnt work with the sd card in the slot, when I take it off it works what do I do?
I have a old backup save on my pc.

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, after reading the first 35 pages of this thread i decided to attempt a safe mode launch, it worked and my 3ds is updating to 10.3.
it seems people have had the most luck downgrading off of the most recent firmware, so i guess i'll just try that instead of trying to downgrade off of some wierd-ass firmware version no one else seems to have. (lol)

so i guess i'll just continue trying?

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: can I block my new 3DS from automatically downloading updates and spamming me with PLEASE UPDATE TEH CONSOLE via DNS or something? I don't have the message yet, but I don't want to eventually have it.
YES you can! It's in the forum (not this thread) somewhere...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok, after reading the first 35 pages of this thread i decided to attempt a safe mode launch, it worked and my 3ds is updating to 10.3.
it seems people have had the most luck downgrading off of the most recent firmware, so i guess i'll just try that instead of trying to downgrade off of some wierd-ass firmware version no one else seems to have. (lol)

so i guess i'll just continue trying?
keep trying, make sure you follow instructions. there are lots of different techniques that may or may not work for you in this thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok it hapened!!! I did downgrade but my 3ds doesnt work with the sd card in the slot, when I take it off it works what do I do?
I have a old backup save on my pc.

change your theme is one thing to try
there are some files that can be deleted from the sd card as well. They are listed somewhere in here. The theme change is the most common fix because it decouples the hax that are likely for the wrong version of the FW.

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
yeah maybe

looking for a source to find it... I used the "search this" copy-paste, got to <snip> and picked out the 9.2U update. I even redownloaded it a few seconds ago to check, still 63 files. Time to find a new source... (Ugh, this was hard enough to start with)

[Edit]
I found one, and 126 files sounds about right
exactly double of 63
maybe I should just take a screenshot and ensure this works?...

[Edit 2]
Common error #3, it blackscreened. Updated to 10.3 and am going to try again, using OoTHax. Again. My files work :D i think at least

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Don't name that site -rp

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I already succesfully downgraded (phew!), but I'm wondering...why does starting and exiting ftpbrony seem to increase the chances of succes? What does it do technically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.