Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hcenteno21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this works on the latest 10.3 firmware correct?

I was gonna try to get one of those Pokemon New 3DS this february and if they come with 10.x I wanted to make sure this worked on them.

Just get an animal crossing one now and order the replacement plates, I'm sure those plates will soon be available :yay3ds:

9C152313-241B-4A94-B8F4-61280A3B036A_zpst5oph44h.jpg
198E1A10-CBDE-4EA4-81D0-7C3B74578D88_zpsltj01uep.jpg

Reactions: zoogie

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be darned. That actually looks like a real standard New 3DS. The XL just feels so... cheap compared to the real thing to me. I thought Nintendo would surely make a smaller XL instead of providing the real system, but it looks like they just took the normal white model and put on different plates to make that bundle -- which, ironically, is a good thing. And yeah, if it's really fully like the Japanese New 3DS, then faceplates and battery plates will not be a problem. The faceplate you can easily pry off with minimal effort and the battery plate just requires loosening those two screws. (It actually pops off and on about 1000x easier than the XL's battery back which you sort of have to slide around stuff and which won't quite go back on right about nine out of ten times when putting it back on.) Now I feel kind of bad I didn't know about that model to grab instead of the Japanese one, but oh well, I have everything all paid for and setup now.

masterzed

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
black screen when i press Y for dowbgrade.
safesysupdater
cia in root folder of sd card
n3ds / 10.3
menuhax 2.1

any idea why?

hcenteno21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be darned. That actually looks like a real standard New 3DS. The XL just feels so... cheap compared to the real thing to me. I thought Nintendo would surely make a smaller XL instead of providing the real system, but it looks like they just took the normal white model and put on different plates to make that bundle -- which, ironically, is a good thing. And yeah, if it's really fully like the Japanese New 3DS, then faceplates and battery plates will not be a problem. The faceplate you can easily pry off with minimal effort and the battery plate just requires loosening those two screws. (It actually pops off and on about 1000x easier than the XL's battery back which you sort of have to slide around stuff and which won't quite go back on right about nine out of ten times when putting it back on.) Now I feel kind of bad I didn't know about that model to grab instead of the Japanese one, but oh well, I have everything all paid for and setup now.

Yeah I didn't know either until I saw ihaveamac's collection. But yeah the plates are super easy to replace. I like it better than the XL!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

black screen when i press Y for dowbgrade.
safesysupdater
cia in root folder of sd card
n3ds / 10.3
menuhax 2.1

any idea why?

and cia's are in updates folder?

I just did my sons n3ds with the sysupdater from the OP, w menuhax.

Last edited by hcenteno21,

hcenteno21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had issues on the second one I just did for my other son. All I did to get it going was reformating the SD, adding starter pack sysUpdater from OP and updates to sd, then going back to homebrew to get menuhax installed again, loading the sysupdater and it worked again. Try that I know it's late and sometimes we miss a step!

delgaucho

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,i have a old 3dsxl 10.3 with browser hax.
I've done all the steps but when i open sysupdater the app frozen,when i open safesysupdater and press y it says''can't get am:u service...try again :x press a key to exit'' and it freeze again.Please help me DIO PORCO

Kapaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Question: What would I actually gain from downgrading my system? I mean I use Ninjahax on 10.3 so I have access to the GBA and Region Free and I own a Sky3DS. Will downgrading allow me to play games without a flash cart, or is there no reason for a casual user like myself to bother?

Horbz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Question: What would I actually gain from downgrading my system? I mean I use Ninjahax on 10.3 so I have access to the GBA and Region Free and I own a Sky3DS. Will downgrading allow me to play games without a flash cart, or is there no reason for a casual user like myself to bother?

Downgrading alone will do nothing, but installing a custom firware (which you can after downgrading, but not on 10.3) will make your Sky3DS pretty much unnecessary. You can install the newest games with AP check that Sky3DS can't (just Sky3DS+). If you install .cia files you can play online without having to worry that you will be banned. Also you can install patched games that your Sky3DS will never can. For example I use a custom firmware to play the English patched version of Monster Hunter Cross.
Also a big plus: Installed games are shown on your home screen. No need to klick through all your games anymore with that stupid Sky3DS button.

Of course I have to remind you to only play the games that you have backed up from your own, original cartridges

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you install .cia files you can play online without having to worry that you will be banned. Also you can install patched games that your Sky3DS will never can. For example I use a custom firmware to play the English patched version of Monster Hunter Cross.

Exactly why I did this, so I could play FE:IF translated. Looks like I'm not the only one here doing this to translate the JP games we own XD

Reactions: Horbz

iceache1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are chances of bricking a N3DS by downgrading? I am tempted to downgrade but do not want to have a paperweight in my hands.. I've never done tubehax and I've only done Menuhax on 10.3

Bubbysaur

u cnt hindle mai sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been banned from online services after downgrading? I bought a N3DS from a friend and never tested out to see whether it was banned before doing the downgrade. Right after downgrading, I try to go online with Super Smash Bros (CIA) and I see that I've been banned.

hcenteno21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been banned from online services after downgrading? I bought a N3DS from a friend and never tested out to see whether it was banned before doing the downgrade. Right after downgrading, I try to go online with Super Smash Bros (CIA) and I see that I've been banned.

What makes you think you have been banned? I have downgraded quite a few with no issues what so ever.

hcenteno21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are chances of bricking a N3DS by downgrading? I am tempted to downgrade but do not want to have a paperweight in my hands.. I've never done tubehax and I've only done Menuhax on 10.3

I would say as long as you do everything verbatim very slim. I have done 6 this week all succesful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!