Gaming Silly question about wireless network connection

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With my PC, I set it up my wireless router to share files to my laptop from my shared folder but it only just occured to me, can anyone with a laptop within range just access the shared folder or is it impossible since they need to join the WEP protected wireless connection BEFORE they can get to the shared folder?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would need to join your workgroup and bypass/hack your encryption/MAC filtering (whatever protections you have set up anyway) in your router to do so. You should be fine unless you have lots of determined hackers around you.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There I was thinking that anyone with a laptop and within range can just just dive into my shared folder. So they can't access it without actually joining my wireless connection and entering the long security key in the first place?

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Harsky said:
There I was thinking that anyone with a laptop and within range can just just dive into my shared folder. So they can't access it without actually joining my wireless connection and entering the long security key in the first place?
yes that is correct. but as mentioned above wep is kinda easy to crack. i suggest using wpa 2 at least

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Diablo1123 said:
Or maybe a MAC Filter.
Which can be spoofed relativly easily too. A combination of both is quite secure though. Naturally if you have a hacker around you that really wants to look in your shared docks he'll do it regardless of your protection. The question of course being are you so interesting to hack
smile.gif
. Anyway though upgrade from WEP to WPA at least and turn on mac filtering and you'll most likely be fine
wink.gif
. Especially if you also have a firewall set up on your machine (which only allows IPs you\ve selected).

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best wireless security is often the inbuilt extras in routers, such as MAC filters, comp name filters (rare) and other features. And also, monitoring and stuff is good.

Because every flavour of wireless security can and will be hacked. As long as you live with computer noobs in your streetm should be fine lol

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also try enabling hidden wireless LAN on your router, and people will then have to enter an the SSID in order to get in, i.e. harder for them to get it.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maz7006 said:
Also try enabling hidden wireless LAN on your router, and people will then have to enter an the SSID in order to get in, i.e. harder for them to get it.

or, just use anyone one of the hundreds of programs that can pick up non SSID broadcast networks
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +2