Shuffle videos but keep episode order?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Pedeadstrian, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I have a bunch of tv shows on my hard drive, and would like to set up a playlist so that each show is in random order, but episode order is always preserved. Example: if I have shows A, B, and C a possible play order would be C1, B1, C2, A1, C3, B2, A2, etc. With a fresh playlist, the first time a particular show is played its first episode is played, then second, and so on. I am currently using a batch file renamer to give each episode a number prefix of a random number and then sorting my playlist by name, effectively shuffling my playlist. Does anyone know of a program that could help me?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    If you were on Linux or OS X, I've be able to help. This is very easy to do with the find command and sed. I actually wrote a script specifically for this but I use it to make a very large online playlist for chiptunes.

3. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm using Windows 10, unfortunately.

4. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:LazyTV

Does this sound like the kind of thing you're after?

5. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Hmm... in fact it does. If I remember correctly, I wasn't a fan of Kodi, but maybe I'd be able to use LazyTV to create a playlist then use it in VLC. I'll go ahead and try it, thanks.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You could use Kodi with this addon: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=90738
    It basically automates the entire process and presents it all in a nice interface with a fake "TV Guide"

7. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Alrighty, I'll check that out if LazyTV doesn't work, thanks.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Actually, scratch that last link, this seems to be a much more up to date version of it: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=244889
    LazyTV looks very similar but lacking a lot of features PseudoTV has, like the "TV Guide" and having multiple "channels" to choose from. Though if you don't care about/want those features then LazyTV is for you I suppose.

9. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It turns out LazyTV is exactly what I wanted, and it can even hybridize with PseudoTV. I would have preferred being able to export the playlist it makes, but I guess I can get used to another video player. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Depravo likes this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Though it seems you have it sorted now I will have to say as a really crude one, and probably not so useful if you are sporting DVD rips, but what about sort by date?

11. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That would work for one show, but wouldn't work well with multiple shows. The Simpsons is the oldest show I have by a long shot, so if I were to sort my videos by date I'd have a huge section of nothing but The Simpsons. I don't mind a few episodes of a show playing back-to-back if RNGesus wills it, but watching several seasons in a row is too much. Unless, of course, I'm not understanding you correctly, which wouldn't be surprising because you're usually way over my head.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It would fail in that scenario. I was thinking more that you had more or less current series/seasons of TV shows and wanted to catch up on the lot.

13. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Oh, nope. It's my cache of reruns that I watch right before bed to wind down or when I have a headache that would lessen the enjoyment of new episodes. I probably could've been clearer in the OP. Oh well, too late now.