Should I sell my Gateway Carts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CarefulCrysis, Apr 26, 2015.

1. CarefulCrysis
    OP

CarefulCrysis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2013
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Just wondering if it's worth keeping my gateway carts and is it likely that gateway will release supports for 9.7? I'm currently on 9.7 with a New 3DS XL and getting a sky3DS cart. Don't really want to give up on emuNAND tbh and the homebrew side of things but will if the carts are useless to me now.

satel likes this.
  2. michyprima

michyprima GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    Italy
    you already knew the answer but you still felt the need to start another useless thread.

why?

3. Neru

Neru GBAtemp Fan

Feb 11, 2015
    United States
    Yikes 9.7? SKY3ds is the way if you wanna play roms on the latest update. Probably not gonna be exploitable in a long time. I have an n3ds xl on 9.4 sysNAND which I heard rumors that it might be possible to exploit since some firm launch file was not patched.

CarefulCrysis likes this.
  4. sanni

sanni GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2003
    United States
    Gateway is still the best team but their hardware is aging, they need to come out with a new cartridge to stay on top. So yes, sell the Gateway as long as anyone is still paying money for it, get a Sky3DS in the meantime and wait for the next generation of Gateway that will eventually come out.

5. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm asking as some people here are really helpful and know alot about this stuff, I don't know if there's something in the pipeline though.

6. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA

Keep yours cards, 0 reason to sell them

7. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    I think you should keep both cards. Gateway supports a lot of things Sky3DS doesn't (e.g. CIAs, eShop games and homebrew). I believe you could use rxTools emunand with Sky3DS if you need to play online with your backups.

Edit: didn't read that you are on 9.7 sysnand...
    You could keep both and backup your nand.

8. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    why do you think they need to come out with a new cartridge? they don't have to as the cardridge itself is not used for the exploit at all...

to answer the OP question:
    I would sell the gateway, as it will probably be a while (no one knows for sure) before 9.7 gets supported. Buy a sky for that money and when GW comes through, just buy a GW again.

9. satel

satel Luigi's Big Brother

Nov 3, 2004
    East Timor
    if i was in your situation i would sell my gateway card & if gw team release ever released support for 9.7 then order a new gateway card. no need to keep a useless card :)

10. cynique

cynique Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2015
    Afghanistan
    I strongly believe gw already came with a new cartridge and its called sky3ds :rofl:

11. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Why are people so desperate to update to 9.7 so quickly?

Just stick with the card you have and wait. Sky3DS is recommended for people already on 9.3+ SysNAND and have no choice. If you can use Gateway, why give up homebrew and everything else it offers?

12. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    i thought you bought a new 3dsxl on 9.0?

13. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
    I was on 9.4 but also needed to get a game from eshop unfortunately

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Can't you get a .cia from 'other places'? Buying is better of course, but Nintendo are the ones blocking you from the eshop.

15. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
    Sure thing but my new 3DS came with 9.4 installed at the time

16. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

He said he's on 9.4, Gateway only works up to 9.2

17. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Sorry, I'm understanding the situation now.

In that case, you may as well sell the Gateway and rebuy later in the unlikely event that Gateway do release a new exploit. They seem to be having trouble with the later firmwares anyway.

18. CarefulCrysis
    OP

Jan 25, 2013
  19. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    You will likely be selling the GW at a loss because it has no warranty and buying from you vs a retailer involves substantial risk. 9.2 and below n3ds are still available. I would get one and sell the n3ds, probably for about the same loss you would incur selling the gateway plus not having the expense of a sky.

I wouldn't buy a used GW for any more than a 50-60% off current market value which is around $67. If you can get more that's great.