CJL18

OP
Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
My brother is 24years old he doesnt work doesnt go to school he doesnt even have his GED. All he does is play video games all day. I have tried to talk to him and told him he's letting life just past by him by he tells me he doesnt care, and leave him alone. He's really really pale and skinny because he never goes anywhere never had a girlfriend he was picked on alot in highschool, because he's pretty slow. I'm his younger brother and dont know what to do i'm afraid he's going to kill his self one day.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How does he afford food, clothing, shelter, and more importantly games if he doesn't have a job? I hope you or your parents aren't enabling him.

Alex666

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yeah i guess you should go and get help, because the longer you wait the worse it will get.
Maybe he is already to afraid to go out.. i had this too and it took my like 3 years to take a good start in the new school year which started this week...
maybe he even wants to change but just cant because of psychological reasons... so i guess you should get professional help

but thats only my opinion ^^"

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your brother is at a crossroads in life, and is going the wrong way. Trust me I have been through this, or at least something very similar. Yes he needs help. And there is nothing wrong with needing help or getting help. Voice your concerns to your parents and see if the 3 of you can get something done. If not then seek medical/legal advice on the matter. Best wishes and my prayers are with you.

CJL18

OP
Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
How does he afford food, clothing, shelter, and more importantly games if he doesn't have a job? I hope you or your parents aren't enabling him.

he doesnt have a car he eats my parents food he has clothes and all our systems are modded

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I second the other recommendation to get him professional help, and start weaning him off your parents' teats. Alternately, get him a hooker.

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
you should seek pshycological help for him, 'cause it seems like he's in a very bad shape. I don't know how close you are to him, but you could hear him out for a bit, why he's staying inside. If it's really fear, you need to take him out one day, to a local game stop for instance. Or just to a supermarket.

I've been bullied for a good 4 years of my life. And I was like that as well. Always inside, didn't go out very often and was just scared about people not liking me, and I still suffer from that until this day. You need to make it very clear to your brother, that he needs to change, everybody who's like that has a turning point sometime, and often you need help to get to a turning point.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
^ You should look for a sport that he likes, or at least a different hobby, so that he'll game less.
Together, you should look for a job for him. Even if it is a simple job like @ a supermarket or whatever. Did he study? If yes, for what? If no, wouldn't it be good for him to study?
Talk to him. Yeah, this might make him more social ^^
Talk with your parents, if they're normal, good parents, they should help him if you would explain that *heavy voice* this is bad!

I hope this helps
wink.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly it's difficult to say without knowing more, or your brother.

He's 24 years old which is still considered young and he still has a long road ahead of him. He could be doing a lot worse things with his time such as drug dealing, robbing and so on. Sometimes people just need their space to find their way in life.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Without a GED or any social skills 24 is not all that young. Even if he decided to change his life overnight it would take years to finish his education and learn how to deal with people in social settings. If you wait a decade to start your adult life then you are adding 20+ years till you can retire, easily.

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
It won't do him any good whatsoever unless he wants help.

this is true, you can send him to all these therapy sessions you and your parents can afford, but, taken from experience, if he does not want to change and likes they way he is living right now, he will "play the system" make the therapist think he is all hunky dory, and with him being over 18, you and your family have no control over weather nor not he will go. If this is a very serious condition, I would contact your local police station, or an attorney to seek legal advice to see if there is anyway you can "force" him to get help, but even then it doesn't always help, but it doesn't help to try. Another possibility is to contact a local suicide hot line and see if they have any advice to get him help as well, these hot lines are also for people close to the affected person.

I don't know how helpful this was, but what ever you do, do not give up on him, he has encountered some hardships and has dug him a hole that he can not get out of alone, and he needs the help from his family, and friends, I know you said he has limited friends, if any at all, but maybe that would be the first step in the process of recovery, he needs to find a true friend that cares, and maybe that will help him see the light at the end of the cold dark tunnel he is in right now, and will want to make him seek the professional help.

When I was kind of in his shoes, I talked to a family friend is a great listener and great advice giver, if there is anybody like that in your family, or if somebody knows somebody like that and he is comfortable talking to them, just have him sit with them for an hour or so while you and the family are not in the same house, completely out of ear shot, and just have him vent, maybe he is too afraid to talk to his close family as he is afraid of breaking your love you have for him, I know I was afraid to talk to my mom as she isn't one of the best people to talk to, nothing is ever confidential with her.

If needed I have some other recommendations too, but I'll keep this post at this, if you want more advice, shoot me a PM and I'll try to respond in a timely manner, but like I mentioned do NOT give up on him, do NOT consider him a lost case, and do continue to talk to him, even if it is sitting by him as he is playing a game, or maybe find a two player game that you and him enjoy and just play, even if you don't talk, he will know you care and maybe that will help him want to change. Do not take drastic steps like getting him a hooker (I hope this was a joke) as from the sounds of it he is so deep in the hole that he needs to take baby steps to get back to a happy state of mind, it will be a long and stressful process, but once he is back to "normal" he and the family will be very happy they took the time to make him better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello