Should I get an Xbox360?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by rayjay, Jun 6, 2011.

Jun 6, 2011

Should I get an Xbox360? by rayjay at 10:02 PM (863 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. rayjay
    OP

Member rayjay GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've recently been considering about getting an Xbox360, but the thing is I already own a PS3 and I'm not that interested in FPS games. What are your thoughts on the matter?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Get it for the Mass Effect trilogy. Half the fun of Mass Effect 2 comes from importing your save of Mass Effect one, not going through a lame comic to make some of the decisions.

There's a few decent exclusives for the system like Lost Odyssey but I can't blame you if you wanted to stick to the PS3.

EDIT: If you don't have a good PC then Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 are good for it, and the Orange Box is worth it as well (although TF2 hasn't gotten any updates).

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    What genres are you mostly interested in?

4. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Well if you exclude FPS, a lot of good 360 games are also on PS3, albeit some are worse. Like Ninja Gaiden Black (granted, xbox game) and Ninja Gaiden 2. Sigma 1 and 2 suck ass in comparison. Especially 2.

Even looking at my collection the only good exclusives are FPS.

Tales of Vesperia is probably the biggest reason to get a 360, but it's about the only game I can think of that's exclusive to the 360 and still epic.

The only exclusive (Non-Halo) game I can think of for 360 is ME1 (since 2 is on PS3) and ME1 is completely terrible. Bad, slow, bland, boring story, and the game is 90% dialogue with little combat (and the combat is mind numbingly easy and boring). Whereas at least ME2 it's more combat focused so you can ignore the story and at least have fun. But it's a shooter...so yeah. If you're not big into FPS, probably not your game overall.

Basically, if you don't like FPS...don't bother. The PS3 has pretty much all good games the 360 has from other genres, except Tales of Vesperia (and i'd buy a 360 just for ToV...but that's just me).
    Only thing you'd get from a 360 is finally being able to use a REAL controller instead of that piece of crap Sony tries to call a controller.

5. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    There is a translation project for Vesperia PS3 [​IMG] Also, without getting into ME1, it is on PC as well.

As for the actual question, there's not that many 360 exclusives. If you've already got a PS3, I'd say either save the money or get a few games.

6. machomuu

United States
    ME1 wasn't terrible, in fact it wasn't that much worse than ME2, honestly I think you're exaggerating.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, I won't get into why Mass Effect as a series is absolutely stunning but Mass Effect one is just buggy and actually boring in comparison to 2. Still a great game, but they took it to a whole new level in 2.

8. machomuu

United States
    I do agree with you on that.

9. rayjay
    OP

Member rayjay GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    At the moment, the non-FPS Xbox exclusives I can think off the top of my head are:
    Banjo Kazooie
    Deathsmiles
    Tales of Vesperia
    Lost Odyssy
    Viva Pinata
    and thats it, are there any more or is that it?

10. machomuu

United States
    Dead or Alive 4

11. Holified 2x

Member Holified 2x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Depends on what u want out of it great online gaming then yeah.

12. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    My personal opinion is unless you absolutely love online so much you're willing to pay for something a bit better, then get a PS3 instead, better exclusives, free online, slightly more powerful, and blu-ray games/player. If you've got a PS3 don't bother getting a 360, wait for the next gen, but if PS3 isn't an option get the 360.

13. katimus_prime

Newcomer katimus_prime Newbie

United States
    In agreement with what most of the others in this thread have said. However, if you've got a lot of friends who play online a lot (most likely Halo) and you wanna hang, I'd say go for it. Since you've already got a PS3, you've already got the best graphics system, but it is a little bit more solitary than the 360, especially with the PSN fiasco. Watching my husbando play Halo: Reach with his friends, I have noticed that he tends to get a lot of really dense college frat boys in the mix, but if that doesn't bother you (or you happen to be a college frat boy), and you won't miss the money, I'd say go for it. There's a couple of good Indy Market games for it, too, but most of the ones I've played are RPGs, which isn't really what you're looking for.

14. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Here's my opinion. The 360 has some of the most diverse libraries in this generation. From the hardcore FPSes, to the arcade like Geometry Wars. There are Combat Flight Sims, First Person RPGs, Third Person shooters, and a fairly large indie section. Many games have great DLC, and it has the largest Sandbox game selection. You should get the 360. My personal preference, and nice selection of games, and dlc.