Hacking Should I get a new drive?

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wbfs error: hd num sector doesn't match

Once in a while I get this error using CFG loader and my FAT 32 Drive when trying to play a game.
The game can't be removed, and is not playable.

CFG and Wiiflow also still show some games that have been removed, and aren't playable anymore.

Could it be my drive is damaged?

Solution
Before you write the drive off as dead, get an app like spinrite to test the drive or see if the drive maker has a disk test application; Spinrite is great but it is not free. If you dont have access to an application to test the drive, use an Ubuntu CD and run the SMART test on the hard disc as well as write zero's to it and retest it.

NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THESE COMMANDS AS IT COULD HOSE YOUR BOX IF YOU GIVE IT THE WRONG DRIVE.

Replace sdX with the device name (ex. sda. sdb, sbc, etc). Do this with all the commands listed.

All of the following are commands to be ran from a terminal in a Linux environment like Ubuntu.

If you have the data backed up, then I would suggest writing 0's to the drive and seeing if it throws any...

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
First try formatting your drive.

If that doesn't work try a different drive for a while and see if the problem continues.

If it does then its a problem with your Wii. If it doesn't then yes get a new drive.

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes I had to use HDD regenreator.
It found numurous erros and corrupted sectors.
It took about 2 days to repair with the software.

After that I did a scan, and there where a lot of delays in the first and the last part of the HD.

Using aesus partitin manager I resized the FAT partiition, And took of about 30 gigs , front and back of the HD.

Everything was fine for about 4 weeks, untill recently.
Couldthis be a sign of soon to happen TOTAL CORRUPTION?

* I allready ordered a new drive. Packard Hell Silver 640 Gb

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Before you write the drive off as dead, get an app like spinrite to test the drive or see if the drive maker has a disk test application; Spinrite is great but it is not free. If you dont have access to an application to test the drive, use an Ubuntu CD and run the SMART test on the hard disc as well as write zero's to it and retest it.

NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THESE COMMANDS AS IT COULD HOSE YOUR BOX IF YOU GIVE IT THE WRONG DRIVE.

Replace sdX with the device name (ex. sda. sdb, sbc, etc). Do this with all the commands listed.

All of the following are commands to be ran from a terminal in a Linux environment like Ubuntu.

If you have the data backed up, then I would suggest writing 0's to the drive and seeing if it throws any errors.
Code:
dd --if=/dev/zero --of=/dev/sdX bs=4096
This will tell you if the drive has issues being written to (badblocks)

Use fdisk to create the partition again, the first line is the command, the rest are answers to its questions.
Code:
fdisk /dev/sdX
n
p
(leave at 1)
(leave at default)
w
You should not need to delete any partitions as writing 0's to the drive should have killed it, but if you need to just use (d) and select the partition to delete.

Then test the disk again.
Code:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdX1 
fsck.ext3 -c -c /dev/sdX1
If the drive has bad sectors this should help you map them out, assuming there are not too many.

Finally, assuming all tests passed, format it to fat32 if you want. I personally like ext3 but I use linux so yeah.
Code:
mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdX1

FINAL NOTE: If you find you are getting permission issues running these commands, then try to switch to root.
Code:
sudo su -

Solution

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Workaround was to resize the FAT 32 partition.
Surface was damaged at the begining and and of disc.

Tried to "remagnetise" with programs.
It is really damaged.

Resizing worked for a while. But now it is corrupting further.

I allready have the new drive. Thank you all for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)