Should I get a 3ds or 3ds XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ahbba, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ahbba
    OP

ahbba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2014
    United States
    I found a 3ds on firmware 2.2U. But I'm not sure whether or not I should find a 3ds XL on a firmware below 4.5. Which is better: a original 3ds or 3ds XL?

2. bartimeaus91

bartimeaus91 Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.

Banned
    Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    Can't decide? Get both!

I like them both equally.

3DS for the portability

3DSXL for the awesome larger screen.

It really depends.

3. ahbba
    OP

ahbba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2014
    United States
    Unfortunately I can only get one. How are the graphics between the two? I've heard the XL has the same resolution as the 3ds. Is there a significant difference?

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Same resolution, just bigger screens.
    Personally I much prefer the XL (I've got both), but they are harder to find for a good price running 4.5 or less.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I don't own an original 3DS, but while playing on the XL, the graphics don't look stretched or anything, infact the games look tailored to fit to the XL's screen size. Between the two, the XL has a bit of a yellowish tint to the screens, but it's only noticeable if you compare a 3DS and XL side by side on a white screen. Sometimes, the XL's case feels a bit cheap, like it could crack under slight pressure, but I haven't had an issue for the 1+ year I've owned it. My only complaint is the DS games look a bit weird, but you can fix that by holding start and select to boot them in original resolution.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    I prefer the 3DS due to it being able to fit in my pocket, but the XL is far sweeter. If you get the former get the expanded battery pack for some old school hour-age.

7. dudephanith

dudephanith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2011
    For better game experience. 3ds XL

8. ahbba
    OP

ahbba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2014
    United States
    such a hard decision.. I would like to get a 3ds XL but im afraid I wont find one on firmware 4.5

9. dudephanith

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2011
    Right now, it's hard to find the low version one. If you want to play game right now take the 3ds, but if you can wait 3DS XL is better in term of battery and Screen. However, you can just buy battery extension though (3DS).

10. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    the issue is probably more to do with how likely you are to find a 4.5 XL really, regardless of model preference, if you cant find a 4.5 XL and you want to play roms you have to have the 3DS. You could however buy the 3DS and sell it on once you source a 4.5 XL.

11. ahbba
    OP

ahbba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2014
    United States
    I think I will wait for an XL. The large screen is just a major plus. Thanks for all comments.

12. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Check local pawn shops, they normally have a few and dont mind you checking the firmware. Local classified ad sites can be good too. I got a 4.4 xl from a local pawn shop yesterday.
    On ebay you really need to look for consoles that dont come with any more recent games and message a bunch of sellers.

13. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    larger screen with same resolution as 3ds,thus lower graphic quality.i prefer normal 3ds

14. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Its not really lower graphical quality, just lower PPI (Pixel density).
    I guess the pixels are 'more visible' but to me at least the XL is a lot nicer to play. Personal preference.

15. dudephanith

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2011
    But the problem is that it's hard to find a low version 3DS XL even in pawn shop. In Ebay, i bet users try to sell their HIGH version one which can't use GateWay. LOL.

16. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    They're not everywhere but if you've got an afternoon to call/drive around to a few its not that bad at least in Australia. Got a 4.4 XL just yesterday via ebay and it was a pawn shop selling it (they didn't know the relevance of 4.5 but were happy to check).

17. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I'd say get the XL if you don't want to buy say like a circlepad pro in the future. But the XL can be bulky if you put on case on it( well, it's kinda bulky already)

18. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    3DS XL is better. It feels much better in larger hands. Also the screen size is very welcome if you look at games like Monster Hunter.
    The text is almost unreadable on a normal 3DS.

19. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    3DSXL the 3D screen looks way better on it than the 3DS does, it just seems to work and look better.

20. DarkAce0

DarkAce0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2013
    New Zealand
    At work (mostly)
    If you have big hands get the XL.