Should I? Broken PSP Slim for $40

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by JDMEVOIXMR, Oct 25, 2008.

Oct 25, 2008
  1. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Saw this on craigslist
    I called him up and he said it's been sitting in his closet for awhile since his little brother dropped it in some water. He's willing to take $40 for it. Seems like a gamble to me, I'm scared that I buy it, buy a new screen, put it in, and doesn't work >

2. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    For $40? Thats a good deal. As long as you know how to properly replace the screen.

3. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    I know how, but I'm worred it won't work >

4. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It might not be the screen though. So you might want to be careful about that.

5. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    accidentle double post...

6. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It is the screen. I'm 99.99% positive of it. If he can turn it on, get into the XMB, hear the clicking sounds when moving about, but not see anything, then it's more than likely the screen.

They're incredibly easy to replace too.

I recommend purchasing it.

7. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    Then again, what am I gonna use it for? -_______- Is it very useful and are the games good? I mostly want it for Midnight Club LA and Internet, idk what else is out there for it...

8. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
  9. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

lots of stuff are out there if you hack it with a battery tool

If its a limited edition Darth Vader one and you do get it working then its maby worth a bit more once fixed! [​IMG]

then again if you only have this persons word that it makes noises once plugged in etc then it could be a risky purchase!

Dependent on how long they left it for once out the water before plugging it back in to the mains would determine if anything fried once mains was reconnected!

I would ask for some kinda video proof of it powering up making this so called noises [​IMG]

10. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    I can meet up with him and check it out myself. And yes, it is a limited Darth Vader edition [​IMG] Hmm, what could possible be damaged because of the water? He said only the screen is damaged..but what else could possibly be affected?

11. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

WATER + circuit board = NOT GOOD!

sometimes it can cause corrosion or if it was plugged back in before it was fully dried out short circuits or tracks blown on the board!

You can take a gamble on buying it and a new screen but there's always that what if scenario you buy it for $40 pay £17 for a screen from Deal Extreme and then fit it and find out its something else and it still does not work then its $57 down the drain!

at the end of the day I'm not trying to steer you away from buying it just be weary and DO by all means check it out and ask questions like HOW long was it in the water and how deep was the water (ie was it a puddle or was it a river it was dropped in) how long he dried it out for before trying it and more importantly connecting it to the mains and charging it then you can maby ascertain how badly it maby water damaged [​IMG]

If worse comes to the worse and it does not work you could strip it down and part it out and sell it for spares the LTD edition case could be worth the money you laid out for it initially and the screen could get you your money back for what was spent on the screen [​IMG]

12. g4med4d

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Water damaged is not good news for anything electronics. To minimize water damage, the person should have opened up the PSP and dried it thoroughly, preferably by dry air. But typically, the life electronic components are shorten by such water damage especially if it's left to dry by itself(sitting in a closet). Did the person mention what kind of water?

I would personally stay clear of water damaged electronic products.

13. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    if you don't want it, tell him I'll buy it for the $40 [​IMG]

I actually don't care if it's working or not

I just want a 2nd psp to pull apart, and fiddle with certain mods before I do it to my working PSP

14. junfeng85

Newcomer junfeng85 Member

Singapore
    Hey should be no problem.. I would buy it if i want one.. Bast case u take apart the screen then replace it, it will work liao..
    I have done repair of circuit boards before and a hair dyers does revive a portion of those...

15. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Isn't it from US? You're in Canada aren't you? Well, according to your flag that you have at least. If you do buy it and it's $40 USD, you're gonna have to pay 20% more 'cause CAD is mad low at the moment compared to USD.. But that's just a few bucks that you're gonna have to spare besides shipping.

On topic: It's only $40.. I think you should take the risk to purchase it.

16. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    He said the WHOLE UNIT was submerged but the only thing affected is the screen. Now I'mscared that if I buy it, it won't work. Shit.

17. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    Argh, he might sell it. Idk if I should jump on it or pass. The whole thing was submerged...

18. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you have a flow of income and 40 dollars isn't a huge deal, I'd go for it.

19. nutta_nic

Member nutta_nic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    a word of caution, i had the same problem but on a different platform, i ilke to dibble dabble with the pc/laptop repairs and upgrades and friend of mine gave me a laptop to repair that he swore had water damage to his screen because it got soaked in the Heavy rain, you could hear it power up, play the windows intro tune but no picture, so i went to the comp fair, bought a replacement screen, changed it, but no effect, it was the onboard graphics card that had fried and i ended up out of pocket and a friend down,
    sorry for the long story but it might be Applicable

20. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    buy it from him

then if you can't get it going again, I'll buy it from you [​IMG]

I don't need a working one, just something to take apart, put together, over and over again