• Start date
  • Views 1,817
  • Replies 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 180466

OP
Hello! I wonder which flash card you recommend to the DSi? And is it true that you can watch movies and listen to music but can not play GBA games with a flash card?

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
acekard 2i
you ca play movies with moonshl but you need to convert it to .dpg
you can play gba games with only the ......... flash card
i forget

gameboy13

Orange and fluffy since 1995.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest getting a DSTWO. It does not play videos as of right now without Moonshell, but it can emulate GBA games. If you are on a tight budget, get an Acekard 2i.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You've mentioned GBA and Movies, because the DSi lacks a SLOT-2 you can't use a 3in1 expansion for GBA support like you can on the DS Lite. The DSTWO has a built in processor which will allow it to emulate the GBA and an update is in the works which will allow it to play DIVX movies. They also have a SNES emulator which is due soon.

You also have the EX4iDS, but they haven't been around long enough. The Supercard team behind the DSTWO have been around for some time and frequently push out updates to make the DSTWO compatible with the latest releases.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RebornX said:
DSTWO and EZ Vi is the best choice for DSi but i think DSTWO is the best gba emulation on dsi
EZVi doesn't have GBA emulation. Only the iPlayer and DSTWO do.
tk_saturn said:
You've mention GBA and Movies. The best cart for both them is the DSTWO. It has a built in processor which will allow it to emulate the GBA and an update is in the works which will allow it to play DIVX movies.
tk_saturn, he was only asking if he could watch movies on a flash cart.

QUOTE(GHBAimen @ Jul 14 2010, 10:21 AM)
Hello! I wonder which flash card you recommend to the DSi? And is it true that you can watch movies and listen to music but can not play GBA games with a flash card?
To answer your question, GHBAimen: Yes you can watch movies and play music with a flash cart and no you normally can't play GBA games on a DS flash cart.

All flash carts released today have support for Moonshell2 (correct if I am wrong guys), which is the go-to media player for DS and DSi. However, Moonshell is limited in what kinds of movie files it can play. 9 out of 10 you will have to convert video into DPG using a special converter to get it working in Moonshell. If you do not want to go through all that, your best bet it to get aSuperCard DSTWO. Like tk_saturn said, it has its own processor on the cart itself to enable enhanced video playback capabilities. Be mindful that SuperCard hasn't released a video player for the DSTWO yet, so you are going to have to wait on them.

As tk_saturn had also mentioned, the DSTWO's processor allows for GBA emulation, so you would be able to play GBA games on your DSi, which is not normally possible. Remember that the games are emulated and the DSTWO GBA emulator is still young, so you will run into issues with some ROMs (slowdown, messed-up music) or some wont work at all. It will get better as time goes on. The processor also allows for superior SNES emulation, but, like the video playback, SuperCard hasn't released it yet.

Anyway, my spiel is over. Hope that helps you out.

Here is how I break it down:
  • If you just want to be able to play your backups, then the Acekard 2i is what you want. Not heavy on features, but AKAIO (alternative homebrew "OS") is one of the best OSes/firmwares out there. Not to mention the cards are priced nicely (usually around $20)
  • If you want to play your backups, but have a few extra features like the ability to read guides while playing a ROM or Real Time Saves (RTS)/save-states, I would recommend the EZ Vi. Its only a few dollars more then the Acekard 2i and has very good compatability from what I have been reading
  • If you want the latest and greatest, the best video playback you can get, and/or the ability to play GBA games on your DSi, your only choice is to get a DSTWO. It is one of the most expensive flash carts on the market as of now, but you also get the most advanced cart on the market. If SuperCard comes through on its promises, the SuperCard will be near future-proof for years to come.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say there's two that are best for their respective prices.

For $15 you can get an Acekard 2i, with up-to-date AKAIO installed, it plays just about everything perfectly.
For $35, you can get a Supercard DStwo, with lots of advanced functions thanks to its integrated processor, things like GBA emulation, ebook reading, realtime game saves and game guides, and in the future, video playback and SNES emulation.

Depends what you want out of your flashcart.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
I'd say there's two that are best for their respective prices.

For $15 you can get an Acekard 2i, with up-to-date AKAIO installed, it plays just about everything perfectly.
For $35, you can get a Supercard DStwo, with lots of advanced functions thanks to its integrated processor, things like GBA emulation, ebook reading, realtime game saves and game guides, and in the future, video playback and SNES emulation.

Depends what you want out of your flashcart.
Not to be a jerk, but don't forget to throw the EZ Vi in there. It s only $18 at ShopTemp (where you are getting your prices from I assume) and has more features then the Acekard 2i and AKAIO. It has the RTS and game guide support of the DSTWO, but at half the price.

D

Deleted member 180466

OP
I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this.
yaynds.gif
I bought a DSi now and is in FW 1.4E. Does it matter which FW you have? I think I choose acekard 2i for all I am out after is to play backups, watch movies (are ready to convert movies to .dpg) and listen to music and it is the cheapest option. Can also like to thank everyone who told me more about GBA emulation of the DSi. And on the SD slot available in the DSi, you can use it to insert the backups in an SD card or I must use a MicroSD card on the flash card?

Again, thanks for the help!
yaynds.gif

/GHBAimen

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All flashcarts require a MicroSD card, then are unable to use the DSi's card slot. This is because DSi mode hasn't been broken and hence also applies to the DSi Camera etc.

The Acekard requires a firmware update so it can be used on a DSi with firmware 1.4. If your DSi is already updated to firmware 1.4, you will have to perfrom the update on a DS Lite/ DS Phat or DSi with Firmware 1.3.

ShopTemp will preupdate them for you if you select that as an option when you add it to the cart. See Premium Update + Flashing Service.

I have a guide in my signature if you want to know more.

D

Deleted member 180466

OP
tk_saturn said:
All flashcarts require a MicroSD card, then are unable to use the DSi's card slot. This is because DSi mode hasn't been broken and hence also applies to the DSi Camera etc.

The Acekard requires a firmware update so it can be used on a DSi with firmware 1.4. If your DSi is already updated to firmware 1.4, you will have to perfrom the update on a DS Lite/ DS Phat or DSi with Firmware 1.3.

ShopTemp will preupdate them for you if you select that as an option when you add it to the cart. See Premium Update + Flashing Service.

I have a guide in my signature if you want to know more.

Well, ok. It does not matter because my friend has a Nintendo DS Lite. So I can borrow his DS and fix it. Thanks for any help!

/GHBrothers

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I'm curious, why the sudden popularity with the EZ Flash Vi? Is it the competition or the re-re-review? It's a good cart no doubt, but I'm worried with all these recommendations thrown around, we'll see a lot of threads with bug reports as the EZ Flash Vi isn't the most stable cart around.
I'm guessing re-re-review.
mellow.gif
Though I always liked/wanted one.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I'm curious, why the sudden popularity with the EZ Flash Vi? Is it the competition or the re-re-review? It's a good cart no doubt, but I'm worried with all these recommendations thrown around, we'll see a lot of threads with bug reports as the EZ Flash Vi isn't the most stable cart around.
I knew nothing about it until the competition. I'm completely happy with my Cyclo, I only entered for the 3 in 1 as I can't shell out $35 for a SCDS2 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom