Hacking Shortening Laser Life?

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know if any of you have experienced a laser fail before, but both my PS2 and GC lasers have failed.

For the PS2, I had to buy a replacement laser (only $30 AUD, thank goodness) and a laser fix so it will shut the laser down if the voltage provided to it spikes. Although I have no evidence of why my GC laser failed, I suspect it was because of poor quality media, as after running the games for a while, they would eventually stop reading to the point where even Ritek's or Verbatim's would stop reading, and I would have to manually adjust the potentiometer a little lower to get it working again.

The only reason I can think of why a laser would be damaged due to media would be that poor quality media is more difficult to read and the laser has to compensate by adjusting the voltage used to power it.

But to everyone denying it happens, your laser will get damaged by playing backups. It will even get damaged by playing originals, albeit a lot slower. You probably don't have to worry about these things though, because your laser will probably keep working for another 5 years anyway, and $50 is not expensive for a laser.

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
It's bull.

Your Wii wii be way, way beyond obsolete by the time any effects are shown from playing dvd-r. Nobody is bothered about PC drives playing backups and it's exactly the same technology.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
acky said:
The only reason I can think of why a laser would be damaged due to media would be that poor quality media is more difficult to read and the laser has to compensate by adjusting the voltage used to power it.

But to everyone denying it happens, your laser will get damaged by playing backups. It will even get damaged by playing originals, albeit a lot slower. You probably don't have to worry about these things though, because your laser will probably keep working for another 5 years anyway, and $50 is not expensive for a laser.

This is silly. The laser "voltage" cannot randomly change. Lasers have a fixed life, and after that, they die. Changing the voltage manually by adjusting the potentiometer will obviously affect the laser life.

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is all bull until someone can proof for sure that this happens.

The Lazer that the consoles use are no more different than the lazers in a normal DVD-rom drive on the computer! I don't remember anyone saying that those lasers degrade if you use any type of rewriteable media on it.

Lazers have a prescribed lifetime and it will die after that. You can just "change the power of the lazer", it won't "power itself up when it doesnt read", it will simply not read.

No type of games, whether backup or original, "degrade" your laser. The laser simple has a lifetime and in a sense it "degrades" itself...

what a load of crap i want to punch the guy who came up with this theory..it just shows that there are people who believe what ever they read...

thats y im an engineer...

sry, but i get angry whenever i hear something on the lines of "backup game degrade your laser"... LOL
laugh.gif

noisound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
olo567 said:
spend $50 on a retail game instead of spending $50 somewhere down the line for a laser?
i was being silly worried about just 1 laser ;P
stivsama said:
kallekall said:
I think all this is bullshit until some kind of "real" expert tells me that it is not bullshit.
Mythbusters?
LOL yes let them do that work and make it very enjoyable to watch at the same time !
QUOTE(theforbidden1 @ Apr 3 2008, 10:12 AM)
the laser does not make any sound, it's probably other thing insede his drive that does the sound?
yeah i think we get mixed up with the drive noise and laser. here's some example of wii drive noises; everyone will be on the same page ! =]

Wii making a lot of noise, clicking, Help =D
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=findpost&...amp;pid=1044084

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
It is laser...it's an abbreviation of Light Amplification by Simulated Emission of Radiation.

Don't get me started on American's bad English lol
blink.gif
lecture.gif
tongue.gif

noisound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
off topic delete plox ;O

it goes, you say tomato, i say tomato
thanks for the definition but also you and everyone else knew what he said, thats good ! laser with a 'z' may not be in the grand poo bah of dictionaries but different spelling must come from slang and writing with personality, preference, without constraints

for lack of a more tasteful example, i searched lazer on google and got 38 million hits. someone must have put lazer on hundreds of different pages !
for what its worth google does ask "Did you mean: laser" lol

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...G=Google+Search

get a plugin to check spelling and grammEr for forums ?

silly jokes
happy.gif

important note: not trying to be forceful. you made the spelling comment, i made the other spelling comment ;P

Sockslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bytor said:
It is laser...it's an abbreviation of Light Amplification by Simulated Emission of Radiation.

blink.gif
lecture.gif
tongue.gif

It's actually an abbreviation of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
wink2.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sockslayer said:
bytor said:

blink.gif
lecture.gif
tongue.gif

It's actually an abbreviation of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
wink2.gif

Actually, it's Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the laser can't read the disc it will self power itself up in an effort to read, this will shorten the life of your laser.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Where's your proof? It seems to me the laser power depends on the p.d. across it, which is manually adjusted by a potentiometer. (A.K.A Potential divider) I can't see how the laser "powers itself up". Retry, yes. Ability to focus at 2 different distances yes. Magical power increase, no.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
arctic_flame said:
Magical power increase, no.
Actually, there are some very select drives that do adjust the laser's power if read errors are encountered (see Buffalo's "PowerRead" technique in some Pioneer drives). But this is by no means standard in dvd laser electronics as used in console systems and doesn't contradict your much welcome correction to the urban myth of dvd laser power adjustment.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it does have a Z sound in laser and could understand someone honestly spelling it incorrectly.

I only thought they were making fun and saying "laZer" in the way Austin Powers says it.

But now thinking about it... it's probably bad spellers.
ohmy.gif

acky

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Woah artctic_flame, have you seen a laser operate before? The laser dot on the disc will adjust its radius until it can read the DVD. I don't think the laser itself has mechanically adjustable lenses. There has to be a voltage or amplitude adjustment somewhere.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
acky said:
Woah artctic_flame, have you seen a laser operate before? The laser dot on the disc will adjust its radius until it can read the DVD. I don't think the laser itself has mechanically adjustable lenses.

Uh, yeah. It's something called "Focal length" which is a property of the lens. Which means that to be focused, the laser must be at a certain distance from the "pits" on the disc. Even on pressed discs, the depths of the pits vary slightly. So, the lens moves up and down until it focuses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    But that topic makes me sad. :(
    Abusive narcissistic ex shame guilted me into selling them becasue my gaming and interests were childish like a little kid collecting toys. :(
    +1
    I had soooooooooooo many of them. All still sealed.
    +1
    I eventually had to contact a domestic abuse advocate to help me get out of the apartment I was in a lease with her. And filed a restraining order on her cuz she kept harassing me after i left her.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt bring my Charger and nobody here has one compatible with my phone
    either you have usb C and no one else does, or everone else has usb c except you. haha
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, i don't have usb c
    That happened to me for like a year. lol. I was the only one of all my friends and family to still have an old phone.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, my phone is from around 2019
    Mine was from 2017. lolol. I just got this new one like 6 months ago. Not even new, second hand cheapo $40 phone. But it has usb c. lol
    I cant justify $1k+ on a nice ass phone. I can spend that on a 75" tv screen. Why a 6" screen device cost me the same? lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had a iPhone 5 for like 6 years, till last year, and had to get new phone, when phone companies stop using the cdna networks, which the iphone5 used.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A phone can do more than a TV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These smart TVs are getting close tho. Gonna be like "back to future" TVs before long.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah a phones going to always be more powerful than a TV if the TVs $2grand maybe but why when I can put a smaller device in my pocket that does basically everything a TV already does
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can justify a decent $800 smartphone that'll last 3 years when I could get a 65" TV for $400 and buy a decent micro computer for $100 more
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf there are decent $400 smartphones in today's market that make top end spec phones unjust it's just what you want
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Found a Charger that works with my phone
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah Ken I have 3 Samsung Phones now and honestly all 3 feel about the same
    A35 a S23 FE S24 Ultra lol
    Camera is about the only thing that legit separates them, unless you play games on your phone....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly just download movies on my phone put them on my card reader then on my tv so much better than wireless transfer bs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy