Hardware Short N00b Questions

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiya lads.

I spent the last day google'ing to get a grip on the Wii and modchips. I've still got a few questions which I'm hopeing someone might answer for me. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds...

a) I couldn't find anybody with a Wasabi in stock, so lumped for a pre-modded dc2key. Main question on it is will it allow my Wii to get bricked ? I know more recent chips prevent this or allow you to revert to earlier firmware. If it will allow brickage, what's the name of the util disk you can use to prevent it, again ?

b) Does the Wii read CDs ? Maybe a stupid question, but chip specs I've seen refer to DVD media - haven't seen CD mentioned

c) On the subject of CDs, I'll want to play XVIDs on it. What's the name of the best software available ?

d) Final question.. What is the official use for SD cards on Wii ? I assume a load of homebrew software utilises them, but what are they actually designed for ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
a) No chip permits that
tongue.gif
Just be careful in using only your Region games, or use WiiBrickBlocker to block the updates in them (but with most of the recent releases, it will "break" the game, which won't start at all)

b) No, only DVD.

c) MFE for Wii. You need Zelda: Twilight Princess to use it. Then you can load DivXs from SD Slot with an SD Card.

d) Backup saves (only for the non-locked saves), Photo Channel, and Custom MP3 Soundtrack in Excite Truck.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1ronlung said:
Hiya lads.

I spent the last day google'ing to get a grip on the Wii and modchips. I've still got a few questions which I'm hopeing someone might answer for me. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds...

a) I couldn't find anybody with a Wasabi in stock, so lumped for a pre-modded dc2key. Main question on it is will it allow my Wii to get bricked ? I know more recent chips prevent this or allow you to revert to earlier firmware. If it will allow brickage, what's the name of the util disk you can use to prevent it, again ?

b) Does the Wii read CDs ? Maybe a stupid question, but chip specs I've seen refer to DVD media - haven't seen CD mentioned

c) On the subject of CDs, I'll want to play XVIDs on it. What's the name of the best software available ?

d) Final question.. What is the official use for SD cards on Wii ? I assume a load of homebrew software utilises them, but what are they actually designed for ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

d) for backing up saves, game screenshots, game stages, photos/music for the photo channel, replays etc...

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
a) No chip permits that
tongue.gif
Just be careful in using only your Region games, or use WiiBrickBlocker to block the updates in them (but with most of the recent releases, it will "break" the game, which won't start at all)

b) No, only DVD.

c) MFE for Wii. You need Zelda: Twilight Princess to use it. Then you can load DivXs from SD Slot with an SD Card.

d) Backup saves (only for the non-locked saves), Photo Channel, and Custom MP3 Soundtrack in Excite Truck.

Thanks very much for your speedy answers, raulpica.

Am a bit confused about your answer to a). Are you saying that no chips prevent bricking ? According to the Wasabi site, 'Full firmware control even on D2C chipset'. I'm PAL. If my chip does leave me open to being bricked, is there a util or webpage that can determine if there's firmware upgrades present in NTSC releases or not ?

Sorry for the newbieness, but as you'll appreciate, I really don't want my brand new shiney Wii getting bricked on my first day using it !

Cheers

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1ronlung said:
raulpica said:
a) No chip permits that
tongue.gif

b) No, only DVD.

Thanks very much for your speedy answers, raulpica.

Am a bit confused about your answer to a). Are you saying that no chips prevent bricking ? According to the Wasabi site, 'Full firmware control even on D2C chipset'. I'm PAL. If my chip does leave me open to being bricked, is there a util or webpage that can determine if there's firmware upgrades present in NTSC releases or not ?

Sorry for the newbieness, but as you'll appreciate, I really don't want my brand new shiney Wii getting bricked on my first day using it !

Cheers
It's full firmware control of the Chip's firmware, not of the Wii's firmware
tongue.gif

Yeah, you can use Wii Update Blocker (or something like that)
tongue.gif

To avoid bricking, just use PAL games and you'll be fine
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2