Sharing digital games on Xbox One

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by lokomelo, Aug 9, 2013.

1. lokomelo
    OP

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Microsoft felt the bullets that came from gamers around the World. Today on Xbox Wire, they released some more details about how Digital copies will work on the new console.

It is good news, but it came too late IMO.

source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-digital-games-and-live-gold

Qtis and chavosaur like this.
  2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    So it's kinda like the PS3 from since ever? Sweet! Pre-orders hittings the storefront in 3.. 2.. 1..!

Seriously, how does this change most of the problems that the internet people have with the Xbox One?

Gahars and Slamicite like this.
  3. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Doesn't the Wii U do that? (albeit with a garbage currently locked to system account infrastructure).

The ability to play your digital games on someone else's Xbox is pretty cool though.

4. ThatDudeWithTheFood

ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    Illuminati
    Isn't this old news?

5. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I guess that's good news for some people. Too bad I never buy digital games.

6. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    The XBone is a flawed system; too much DRM for me. The XBone is DOA and if I get enough I am getting a PS4.

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Doesn't the 360 already do this?

8. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Mmmmwhat DRM?

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    On the bright side, you've caught up to the PS3. Too bad the PS4 is right on its way. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short... or should that be "a generation late and a $100 extra" now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the XBone will have this feature. The thing is, you can't exactly brag about implementing a feature your competition beat you to a long, long time ago. This should be the expectation, not some cause for celebration.

10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Should I still be confused about the "can't-play-games-at-other-friends-houses" deal?

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium

Sweet! So when a friend comes over to my place, (s)he can play his/her digital games on my wiiu? :D

More seriously: how are they going to prevent abuse? I buy a xbone and a digital game. Then I create a profile for a friend (who doesn't live in my house)*. Then at his home, he'll sign on with that profile...and can play that digital game. All in all: how are they to know who lives in my house?

My guess is there'll be no way around logging on with the kinect, but not only is that a bit disturbing (it means it keeps tracks of facial data) and dangerous ("yeah, yeah...of COURSE you just got a new haircut and shaved yourself. Too bad: no games for you!"), but I think it will lead to a whole new way of abusing kinect as well (with some experimenting, I can probably come up with a photo that the kinect will recognize as "me"...thus allowing my friend to play my entire library).

12. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    This is exactly how the 360 already works, minus maybe the games purchased on friend's consoles thing. Not really news, MS wouldn't dig themselves back into a hole they spent months trying to escape from.

13. lokomelo
    OP

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    Nope, It was confirmed on August 09, 2013, aka yesterday

From what I got, they are allowing the abuse.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In other words, "the users of the system can play games installed on the system". How is this a feature again? You could do that before profiles even became a thing. To me, it comes naturally that if you have a game installed on a particular system, you can play it on that particular system - it's hardly something worth advertising, it's basic functionality.

As for using said games on other systems by utilizing your account, say hello to the PS3 as Gahars mentioned. Moreover, it's a very vague description only saying that it "can be done" - we were given no information about the restrictions to this like the number of activated systems, time limits and whatnot.

15. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    So are they going to stream games bought on a friend's console or download and save it on your friend's HDD which he then can not use?

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't think streaming is out of the question, but it would either require both systems to be turned on at the same time or support a protocol which allows for sending "Wake Up" calls to the system in Standby. Moreover, it would render the Server system inoperable for other users when it streams. It seems unnecessarily complicated in comparison to just downloading the game, but it is "more secure" for Microsoft (dodges the Game Sharing problem entirely).

17. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Not sure, but it doesn't seem like he's asking whether it would stream from the home console but from Xbox Live...

18. Lestworth

Lestworth GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2013
    United States
    I thought this was announced prior to them throwing it in reverse and burning rubber. No im not talking about the family share plan.