Hacking Share your custom Hekate bootlogo thread

mooglazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen one posted, and couldn't find one using search -- so here goes. Sorry if this is a dupe/unnecessary, mods feel free to delete or move to a more appropriate sub-forum. I know some are posted under the main Hekate thread, but with forks, etc. I thought it might be better to not pollute the mainline/technical discussion with bootlogos.

In your hekate_ipl.ini (under config, loads from the root of the SD card) -

customlogo=1
logopath=/bootlogo.bmp

Per the bootlogo README: https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/blob/master/README_BOOTLOGO.md

The bootlogo can be any size with a maximum of 720 x 1280.
When it's smaller than 720 x 1280, it is automatically centered and the background takes the color of the first pixel.
When saving a landscape bootlogo, it should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.
Lastly, the supported format is 32-bit (ARGB) BMP. Classic 24-bit (RGB) BMPs are not supported for performance reasons.

Basically create a 1280x720 image, rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, save as 32-bit BMP (bitmap) file.

I'll start, see attached (shoutouts to my ACNL people).

Attachments

• bootlogo.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 3,435

ressit

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,938
Last edited by ressit,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i think 32bit bmp was a little large.why jpeg?

Performance and memory space reasons. Hekate's payload size is already barely below the maximum size allowed, so adding a jpeg/png decoder simply isn't an option. It also runs on a slow processor (not the main Tegra CPU), so it would make the boot process longer, whereas using a bmp that matches the framebuffer format is much, much faster, no decoding or decompression needed.

Fighter_Builder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's one I whipped up in Photoshop in about 5 minutes and spent about 10 minutes troubleshooting and converting. Pretty proud of how it turned out, and I may make more in the future if I feel like doing so.

Also, here's a tip for converting to the right BMP format. Use the latest version of GIMP (you may want to update if you haven't in a while) to save it as a 32-bit BMP (8A, 8R, 8G, 8B). It's imperative that you use the latest version, as older versions tend to mess up the colors when the image is actually loaded in Hekate. Anyway, fire up GIMP, load your image, make any changes you want, add an alpha channel if there isn't one already, then save as "bootlogo.bmp". A menu will pop up. Go to Advanced Settings, and select the 32-bit setting mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• bootlogo.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,824

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• SwitchHeart_Hekate.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,361
  • SwitchHeart.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,347
  • SwitchHeart_TEMPLATE.7z
    624.5 KB · Views: 719
Last edited by Melon__Bread,

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't figure out how even to get to a 32-bit bitmap. Isn't 24-bit officially the max officially and 32-bit just a sort of unofficial extension people came up with much later? So far everything I try downgrades to 24-bit when saving as bitmap anyway.

Well, I like that last one and will use it for now instead of the one I created anyway.

BTW, I want to be clear, but you can only do one, right? You can't do one for each CFW booted like how we did on the 3DS?

EDIT: I think the logopath parameter doesn't work. I thought no images I tried ever worked, but then I removed that line and renamed the file to bootlogo.bmp (what it defaults to if there is no logopath) and then it worked. (BTW, I was calling it hekate.bmp before, so it wasn't a tricky filename or anything like that.)

Last edited by Nazosan,

Fighter_Builder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't figure out how even to get to a 32-bit bitmap. Isn't 24-bit officially the max officially and 32-bit just a sort of unofficial extension people came up with much later? So far everything I try downgrades to 24-bit when saving as bitmap anyway.

Well, I like that last one and will use it for now instead of the one I created anyway.

BTW, I want to be clear, but you can only do one, right? You can't do one for each CFW booted like how we did on the 3DS?

EDIT: I think the logopath parameter doesn't work. I thought no images I tried ever worked, but then I removed that line and renamed the file to bootlogo.bmp (what it defaults to if there is no logopath) and then it worked. (BTW, I was calling it hekate.bmp before, so it wasn't a tricky filename or anything like that.)
Use the latest version of GIMP to convert/save it to a 32-bit ARGB bitmap (A8, R8, G8, B8). Other versions tend to have issues saving properly in this format, so I'd recommend updating if you haven't already.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really use GIMP. Is there, by any chance, some simple command line tool or whatever that can convert a 24-bit bitmap or anything like that? Actually, simpler still, what about something for a 32-bit PNG to a 32-bit bitmap? Something like that probably exists, it's just a matter of finding it... Might help a lot of people besides me jump through fewer hoops for this.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Fighter_Builder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really use GIMP. Is there, by any chance, some simple command line tool or whatever that can convert a 24-bit bitmap or anything like that? Actually, simpler still, what about something for a 32-bit PNG to a 32-bit bitmap? Something like that probably exists, it's just a matter of finding it... Might help a lot of people besides me jump through fewer hoops for this.
I'm not sure. I already have GIMP and use it for various other purposes as well, so in my case it made the most sense to use that instead of tinkering with command line stuff. That being said, you may have luck with ImageMagick, but I'm not sure if it'll work for this.

Last edited by Fighter_Builder,
Reactions: Nazosan

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. I already have GIMP and use it for various other purposes as well, so in my case it made the most sense to use that instead of tinkering with command line stuff. That being said, you may have luck with ImageMagick, but I'm not sure if it'll work for this.
You know what? I think it works. I just did "convert file1.bmp -alpha on file2.bmp" and that was it. (Actually I did magick convert because I'm lazy and only made a shortcut for that.) Well, I'm actually using Melon__Bread's image now, but if anyone wants it, here is the minimalist just taking the logo from the CTCaer mod thread and making it fit the canvas thing I did:
bootlogo.jpg

Attachments

• bootlogo.rar
    37.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited by Nazosan,

AlanMaciasz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is not for hekate but is for ReiNX if you want it delete the splash.bin on ReiNX folder and replace with this one

Attachments

• ReiNX.png
    ReiNX.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,231
  • ReiNX Splash.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 411
Reactions: peteruk

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2edgy5me

-------------------------

So I made my own real quick
3qYdXt2.png

If you want to use it, it is attached below ready to use (with or without hekate on the screen).
Also if you use gimp and want to put something else on the screen I have attached a .xci file ready for you to put your own image on the screen.

Thank you Cafe333 for the original image
This looks really well made. Thank you and Cafe333 for the work on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?