Status
Not open for further replies.

enzymbewegung

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This thread is now like a ps3 scene thread. Shadow is one of the best guys we have in the WiiU scene right now.
Dont sh1t on him and disrespect him. He's an awesome guy and I like to read what he writes.
I think many of us like what he did and i hope he share his future experiences with us.
Thank you Shadow!

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a mostly lurker unless I have a question or something important to add,I've seen plenty of trolls and doubters trying to inflate their epeen by calling out ”fakes". Just ignore them, they are all worthless children.You don't need to prove your credentials to anybody. Your work will speak for itself on the skills that you have. As the saying goes "haters gonna hate". I hope that you keep up with the project and look forward to following your progress.

Mods: gbatemps rep is what it is because of crummy posters like many of those above. I don't know how to fix it, and I'm not going to be presumptuous and tell you how to do it. I would suggest you see how other sites dedicated to hardware hacking manage their forums and perhaps start moderating developer forums and threads in a similar manner. Specifically, xda-developers. Just a suggestion.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
All we ask for is progress, open communication of the work being done to hack the system, and the ability for others to build from and learn from the work (Open-source). Teams need to learn to collaborate on hacking projects, instead of being greedy cocksuckers who covet their work because they want fame, and can't handle a few negative criticisms.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
...So I come in for my periodical "has anything happened that I should update the Sticky OP?" check, and I learn that someone with the knowledge and tools to make a dent in the Wii U began a project, only to quit less than a week later because people are being little shits.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Shadow LAG, I apologize for this, and implore you to continue and publish your findings, wherever that may be.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Report, ignore, block. Many of the negative ones cannot solder and likely don't know what a multimeter is. This is the kind of project I've wanted to see. Being able to recover is priceless. Solderless? I hope to see results. A lot of good people are working on Wii U.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

sven42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
At first, the eMMC is completely encrypted. You also don't get dual boot capabilities by just sticking a second one on there and/or emulating it. Why would you want to dual boot anyway? This is not the x360...

All we ask for is progress, open communication of the work being done to hack the system, and the ability for others to build from and learn from the work (Open-source). Teams need to learn to collaborate on hacking projects, instead of being greedy cocksuckers who covet their work because they want fame, and can't handle a few negative criticisms.
And what exactly entitles you to ask for anything?

What do you even expect even if we released everything we had? Apparently no one's been able to implement the tricore stuff as of now, so why would people suddenly be able to implement a fully fledged sdk?

muskieratboi

Trophies
XP
Country
What do you even expect even if we released everything we had? Apparently no one's been able to implement the tricore stuff as of now, so why would people suddenly be able to implement a fully fledged sdk?

"we"? You f0f or Trinux? I'm not knowledgable on specific team members.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"we"? You f0f or Trinux? I'm not knowledgable on specific team members.
It´s sven, you should at least know him from the f0f 27c3 talk:

Regarding the recent OT:
Some members in this thread are really embarassing.
GBAtemp could be a much better place if it was moderated more.
Let the kids play in the OT section, but keep the hacking forums clean.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oshtoby TheChield Chujowski snikerz Great! NOW look what you've done! THIS is why we can't have nice things!

I've been watching in wonder and amazement ever since this mysterious white knight rode into town, trusty soldering iron in hand.
whiteknight_zps3d8d5ca8.png
I, and many others stewed with anticipation and excitement, and had high hopes of riding along with him in his epic quest, and wished to bare witness as he bent the Wii U over and made it his BITCH!

But YOU fine gentlemen have successfully turned us all into mushrooms,
Super_Mushroom_by_mrpajamasharkman.gif
as we now sit in the dark to feast amongst the bullshit!
Bull_Shit_by_parliamentFunk.gif

Shame on you small minded pukes, and may the Dark Overlord have mercy on your souls! :gun:

@Shadow LAG
Pay no attention to these narrow minded fools. They wish they had half the talent you possess.
Solution=
Capture_zps8b5430ae.png

You>Sliced Bread:bow:

@ Everyone Like this post if you believe in Shadow LAG and the work he's doing for us! We need him alot more than he needs us. Show your support!!!

muskieratboi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah. Thanks, Truth.

sven: Regardless of all the brouhaha, I wanna say thanks for all the previous work f0f's done.

But anyway, Let's not dwell on crappy things, and keep the faith, as it were :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think when I get my Wii U, I'll do the initial setup process, and put it back into the box until the Homebrew scene takes off.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Regarding the recent OT:
Some members in this thread are really embarassing.
GBAtemp could be a much better place if it was moderated more.
Let the kids play in the OT section, but keep the hacking forums clean.
I'll answer here and tell what I (my own opinion, doesn't involve other moderators) think of all these forum's drama.
I'm tired of doing the police with uneducated kids fighting each other and remove always the same type of posts.

I usually let people speak their mind. It's a forum where you can speak freely, for good and bad result. it's the user's action which determine the forum's reputation (and you know which reputation it has).
Users only get what they deserves. If they are not capable of accepting someone providing his time and work freely to other people, without calling him suspicious, attacking him based on previous work and reputation, then it's not the moderator's job to educate these kids. At least, I don't see my position as someone who need to tell users what they NEED to post in order to help developers and hackers to achieve their goal. I'm not their mother, I'm not a firewall nor a spam filter. If we want a clean forum with only developers posting, then all the posts would be moderated before being made visible.
I moderate the forum for the forum, I remove illegal links, warn on wrong behavior, insults, etc., but I'm not here to take the hands of users to explain which word to use and that if they are not friendly they will be punished. I'm not deleting posts for developers to complete their project without clash, they don't need this forum for their project, they post here in the first place because they want to share, but if you can't accept it then they stop doing it. Do not think people owe you things and are forced to post things here or provide them to you at all (here or another site).
3DS and WiiU section is filled with kids who can't wait and appreciate other peoples work, only ask the same question over and over, troll, post crap and offtopic everywhere without caring for their comrades who would like to follow a specific subject. The only result you get is that people who can achieve what you really seek are leaving you behind because they don't have faith in you anymore, they don't have interest nor desire to release anything for ingrate people like you.
You build your own situation. If you want things to change, start changing your behavior.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll answer here and tell what I (my own opinion, doesn't involve other moderators) think of all these forum's drama.
I'm tired of doing the police with uneducated kids fighting each other and remove always the same type of posts.

I usually let people speak their mind. It's a forum where you can speak freely, for good and bad result. it's the user's action which determine the forum's reputation (and you know which reputation it has).
Users only get what they deserves. If they are not capable of accepting someone providing his time and work freely to other people, without calling him suspicious, attacking him based on previous work and reputation, then it's not the moderator's job to educate these kids. At least, I don't see my position as someone who need to tell users what they NEED to post in order to help developers and hackers to achieve their goal. I'm not their mother, I'm not a firewall nor a spam filter. If we want a clean forum with only developers posting, then all the posts would be moderated before being made visible.
I moderate the forum for the forum, I remove illegal links, warn on wrong behavior, insults, etc., but I'm not here to take the hands of users to explain which word to use and that if they are not friendly they will be punished. I'm not deleting posts for developers to complete their project without clash, they don't need this forum for their project, they post here in the first place because they want to share, but if you can't accept it then they stop doing it. Do not think people owe you things and are forced to post things here or provide them to you at all (here or another site).
3DS and WiiU section is filled with kids who can't wait and appreciate other peoples work, only ask the same question over and over, troll, post crap and offtopic everywhere without caring for their comrades who would like to follow a specific subject. The only result you get is that people who can achieve what you really seek are leaving you behind because they don't have faith in you anymore, they don't have interest nor desire to release anything for ingrate people like you.
You build your own situation. If you want things to change, start changing your behavior.

True, and I will say that at least the last week I've sought to change. Flaming is useless, differences of opinions can be expressed in a positive way, and if I can change then most can change. Some may laugh but I really have made an effort to be more positive. Anytime you put something out you risk it. Like I told shadow, he can IGNORE people, BLOCK them, or report them (like if they insult was my thinking). OR, go private like a private conversation by invite only. He is a very nice guy with good intentions.

The beauty in life is that anyone can change. For me, a forum NEEDS to be the same as reality. In reality, I judge not lest I be judged by the same measure, love my neighbor as I love myself, forgive as I want to be forgiven, and not to preach but thank Jesus Christ. In reality I am absolutely different then I've shown in the past. Still, f0f are good people, tri-core group works hard and are good people, shadow lag seems like a good person, and others I speak with privately (keep secrets also) are great. No excuse for my behavior and so I tweeted an apology to Marcan, and try to follow what Truth pointed out to me. There are funny people here, some very decent people. Anyway, life is serious and enjoy the time, enjoy the freedom to come to sites like this--while we still have those freedoms. Thanks Cyan for your critical/thoughtful comment. Like a GREAT person told me in private, and if they see this, they will know, "It is best to be kind to everyone." Sven, Marcan, Megazig--decent guys, very talented. Alright, my mood may change later but for now, sticking to the positive;-)

Reactions: rypaul

empulse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Careful who you blindly follow in your quest for a hack. I was (I gues back handed in a way) trying to compliment our friend here for choosing to take on such a difficult task. And I am trying to be nice still, but when you blow smoke up my ass I will call you out.

1. Not a kid, 22 engaged and have had years and years of experience.

2. http://www.pictureshack.us/images/72790_allinone.jpg

3. The trace was pulled up because of a clamp I was using from radioshack which is standard to use for flat mount soldering. The clamp was spring loaded and got stuck which removed the trace and the resistor with the pad, the reason I thought I was getting a cold solder joint is the trace had a break further along the line up by the chip, this is not my first rodeo I have been doing this for over 5 years.

4. Last but not least I removed the eMMC chip, an amateur with improper tools could not have done this without breaking the solder joints or burning up the chip, as you can see that is a clean removal.

5. The board is 2 layered, I checked by scratching under the trace and found a ground plate on both sides.

6. I was planning to remove the eMMC anyway to document a full nand replacement, check my first post.

1. You kinda made my point about the "kid" comment. You are young and you let your emotions run your responses.

2. That is great, never questioned your resume'.

3. I have been in electronics manufacturing for 7+yrs -- I am confused about a clamp that is used in flat mount (Surface Mount?) soldering that is a "standard". Gonna call bravo sierra on that. No such animal, or standard anyway. This is just inexperience. Traces are glued to the PWB/PCB, heat is what removes them. overheating burns off the glue and then they lift. For home repair you can use any glue (EPON is what is used in manufacturing) that will hold long enough for you to touch an iron to and reflow as needed. I will get to "cold solder joint" in a second.

4. Removing a BGA in your kitchen (or even reflowing it) can be done if you follow simple steps. Preheat the PWB/PCB @ 100degF for about an hour, this heats up the power planes so they don't wick the heat from trying to remove/reflow bga. Use a hair dryer underneath the board to maintain a constant temp, and use a paint stripper gun to apply heat to the top. You might want to spend 15$ for a IR heat gun @ RatShack, its just a point at an object and get the temperature. Probably safe to go as high as 750degF (for 10-20sec @ a time). Then you would just lift it off with tweezers. Reflowing is different, if someone wanted to know how i can explain..

**preheating is something that makes life so much easier when reworking a board. also prevents cold solder joints. Also use Flux, no clean is ok, but frankly the nasty stuff is much better, and they all clean up with alcohol.

** also don't do more than 100degF, these are class 2 devices, and most of the capacitors can't take over 150degF for periods of time, electrolytics will rupture or expand and fail.

5. The board is 6 layers minimum. NOT 2. My guess from pictures, is that the two outer planes are GND, there is a center layer that is V+ and breaks off into different supply rails. the other layers are there for obfuscation. Same reason they have the 3 chips on the die. Any line that you could put say a bus pirate on is probably buried somewhere and only breaks out under BGAs or other hard to remove components, and if you could do an xray you might be able to find them and do a layer drill to tap them. But this looks more like the usual with Nintendo, it will be a software solution -- and replacing the flash with an SD card would probably not be an easy task because of timing issues.

** 6 layers is pretty much standard for PWB/PCBs that have BGA/FPGAs on board.

6. Full Nand replacement. That is a good idea. I would start with that Nand part number and digikey and compare datasheets of this device and others, then even shoot them an email and tell them you need a drop-in replacement for part #XXXXX and maybe they already know what will work. But that is just what I would do. There are some constructive conversations to be had.

I am not saying this to be an ass, or beat you up. But it sounds like you are capable of giving bad advice, or bad information. Maybe you need to go to school, i was the same way you are when I was first starting out. You can probably learn a lot that will focus the abilities you already have. I am sure this will be seen as just another "flame". Oh well.

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, for my part I approve all that empulse says BUT
The community wants to believe... Even if the try is useless... As sven said the whole eMMc is encrypted... (as I also said when I "attacked" Shadow... "every one could know that" ...)
But Shadow comes from a different community and seems to have the will to help. (even if he published datasheets schematics without telling his source and do it his own... :P )

Reactions: yuyuyup

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for my part I approve all that empulse says BUT
The community wants to believe... Even if the try is useless... As sven said the whole eMMc is encrypted... (as I also said when I "attacked" Shadow... "every one could know that" ...)
But Shadow comes from a different community and seems to have the will to help. (even if he published datasheets schematics without telling his source and do it his own... :P )
Yeah, OP updated, shadow lag is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.