Sexy laptop - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kevan

kevan Imagination rules the world

Dec 4, 2009
    Place
    To end any Acer versus HP versus Toshiba debates. Toshiba has the lowest fail rate. HP has the highest. If I remember correctly Acer sits in the middle-low area.

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Source?

3. kevan

kevan Imagination rules the world

Dec 4, 2009
    Place
    I would find the source. But

A: I'm tired
    B: I read this halfway through last year.

4. CCNaru

CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

Jul 9, 2005
    United States
    USA USA USA USA USA USA USA US
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Right elbow againts the desk, arm tilted towards the touchpad - it's actually very comfortable for a right-handed person.

¬

It's the touchpads on the right side that make you creep your arm unnaturally that give me shivers.

6. Midna

Midna Banned

Banned
    Apr 13, 2008
    Albania
    My asus laptop experienced charging issues after two months. I had to send it across the country to get it fixed because my in store warranty was up.

All laptops suck.

Intel HD 3000 is the best in integrated laptop graphics at the moment. Expect to be able to run Source games with it, but not too much higher than that.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Well, d'uh. Laptop is no replacement for a proper desktop, still, it's better then a damned Netbook.

Most charging issues occour when users simultainously charge and drain the battery by using the laptop as they charge rather then removing the battery not to waste its charging cycles. Either that or pulling at the charger's cable and bending the connector. :P I wonder what happened to yours, was it a factory defect? [/Plain curiousity]

8. Midna

Midna Banned

Banned
    Apr 13, 2008
    Albania
    The charging connector on the laptop was screwed up. Wouldn't charge at all unless I held it in place. It was a real pain.

Though thanks for the tip about removing the battery. I'm getting a new laptop later and I'll remember to do that.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, that is oh-so-common! That's the first connector that gets loose or broken - nothing serious, but still a damned pain. They should really put them in place better - half of'em are slightly loose even when laptops are factory-new and in mint condition. That's one thing everybody's gotta watch out for - fiddling with the connector too much equals solder work.

1 person likes this.
  10. tinorex

tinorex Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    I have an Acer Aspire, and i can tell you, even though it gets hot sometimes (only when skyrim on summer) it works pretty well, and i've had it for 2 years now, i can't complain, it was the best choice between a minor specs asus or this laptop i'm currently writing on.

Also, i do a lot of programming on it, and being an i5 processor, it works flawlessly.

11. Zetta_x
    OP

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    Newegg has to factor in the Tax, coming out to over $700 Amazon exempts the tax coming under $700. I never itemize, so it would theoretically be better to get off of Amazon.

12. Nimbus

Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

Nov 1, 2009
    Probably being lazy.
    What is everyones beef with acers. I've had mine now for about 5-6 months, and not a single issue at all. Hell, I bumped up the RAM to 6GB and this thing screams along now.

I think Acers a decent brand. HP on the other hand, I've had nothing but bad luck with.

But again, just because one person has bad luck with one brand means nothing. Another person could have excelent luck with them.

But yes, as thieves like us mentioned. Do not buy anything with a integrated graphics card if you're going to be doing heavy graphics processing and gaming. Learn from my mistake, although really the most graphically intensive thing I do is Second Life.

13. thieves like us

thieves like us chaos personified

Jul 17, 2003
    United States
    left of the pond
    the trackpad isn't on the left side, it's centered on the keyboard. all of the laptops that have a dedicated numeric keypad have the trackpad centered on the keyboard (so, it appears to be shifted to the left).

14. CCNaru

CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

Jul 9, 2005
    United States
    USA USA USA USA USA USA USA US
    lol you live in California?

1 person likes this.
  15. lakaiskateboarding

lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Maybe you should go to a store and have a look at some laptops. As I already said, any laptop can do what you want to do with it. So perhaps it is a good idea to go for a laptop with slightly lower specs, but with a better screen and keyboard. Those two items don't really seem important at first, but they always turn out to be really important in the end.

2 people like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted