Hacking Question Setting up my Switch for the first time

s0litary

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I am just getting into this and have read dozens of threads and guides but a few questions remain.

I just bot a used (but like new) Switch from an ebay dealer which is unpatched and on firmware 3.0.1.
I am planing to put emuMMC on it for Homebrew, Emulators etc and OFW (Sysnand) for online playing. I am aware of the danger of getting banned and am willing to risk it, worst case I will get a second Switch for online playing my bought games.

My questions:

1. I am wondering why my Switch is on 3.0.1 and am thinking, either it wasn't used and is actually like or someone ran CFW from it and if this is the case the Sysnand might be dirty. Is there any way I can find out if this is the case and clean it if it is so? If not and there is a problem, I can also return the Switch.

2. I want to follow these guides:

nh-server github io switch-guide
switch homebrew guide

And I am thinking, I should first update my Switch to 9.0.1 since I will be using the hardware exploit anyway. Is this the first thing I should do and should I just do it through the system update or use choidujournx in order to save efuses?

3. The first guide states on this page nh-server github io switch-guide user_guide getting_started

Console Preparation

Important

Before setting up the console for homebrew, it is important to have at least one eShop game, or a game demo. A game cartridge will also work, but note that the cartridge will have to be inserted in order to run homebrew if you wish to go this route. Once you have a game or application, you are prepared to continue on with the guide."

As I understand this is not the case anymore?

That's it for now, any help is greatly appreciated!

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. You can probably check the error logs, otherwise I have no idea how to find out if it had CFW or not.
2. https://switch.homebrew.guide/ is probably the most used guide now, but you can use the nh as well. Idk which one is better.
Considering you have 3.0.1, you might want to keep that or at least keep your fuses low (as you can already get warmboot now) and use autorcm (and one EmuMMC for CFW) or dual EmuMMCs (although I am not sure if you can create a safe EmuMMC).
3. You can always use RCM, which does not require anything on your switch, but you can also use pegascape and it's "Wifi Authentication Prompt" (which also does not anything).

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
personally, as every major cfw has reboot to payload on crash and support for latest firmware, i’d just upgrade sys to 9.0.1, create emunand from it and go from there
stuff fuse burning, who cares about downgrading anymore ?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Thanks!

But if I keep 3.0.1 how will I play new titles in OFW which require a newer firmware?
By using dual EmuNAND/EmuMMC. But I don't know if it is possible to have "safe" EmuMMC.
But you can always update and use RCM if you want (or install autorcm while updating to keep your fuses low for a later downgrade when something bigger then warmboot comes).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.