Hardware Set up Wi-Fi without gamepad ?

oli.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

So I strike a amazing deal (Really ridiculous deal - cheaper that old Wii :D) for a Wii U but without the gamepad. But for that price I just jumped on it. Plus I have a old semi-broken Wii so I already got couple of wiimotes and classic controllers and sensor bar and I grabbed really cheap Wii U pro controler clone on ebay that works just great for my casual use :) Console was already set-up so great - no need for gamepad there. I do not really want to play a lot of games on Wii U since I got PS4 for that but I am interested in couple exclusives that works without the gamepad plus finally catch up with the old Wii Library of games and use the homebrew emulators.
So here is what I did: Installed Homebrew Channel on vWii using smash bros exploit - works great, got my loader and filled the huge 1TB HDD with number of Wii games and all emulators and roms = super happy, cant complain.

But to my question: I cant access the Wii U settings without gamepad - all I want to do is set-up the wifi connection and enable the software update - I dont need anything else. Is there any possible "work-around" to set up the connection without the gamepad ? Maybe using some homebrew on vWii or possibility to import my wifi setting from my old wii ?
Cant really even borrow the gamepad from anybody i know since literally nobody have wii u here :) It would be great if somebody knows any way. If not i am still happy, but i would love to connect the console to internet :))

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
can't you buy a gamepad with a broken screen and replace it?
not sure about the wii u gamepad, but lots of people do this on purchasing phones.. they buy broken ones for cheap and replace the screen...

oli.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can't you buy a gamepad with a broken screen and replace it?
not sure about the wii u gamepad, but lots of people do this on purchasing phones.. they buy broken ones for cheap and replace the screen...

I checked out the prices but they are ridiculous for a gamepad. I dont want to spend that much money for the controler that I am not going to use that much :)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I checked out the prices but they are ridiculous for a gamepad. I dont want to spend that much money for the controler that I am not going to use that much :)

thats why i am saying to get one with broken screen from ebay, still expensive?

so far i know there is no way to access system settings without gamepad...

Reactions: oli.exe

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You need a Wii U GamePad to change any system settings. It's stupid and archaic of Nintendo to force use of the Wii U GamePad here, but these are the facts.

The best you can hope for is finding someone who's willing to borrow their Wii U GamePad for as long as you need to just change the settings, or wait for this to become reality:

Reactions: oli.exe

oli.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need a Wii U GamePad to change any system settings. It's stupid and archaic of Nintendo to force use of the Wii U GamePad here, but these are the facts.

The best you can hope for is finding someone who's willing to borrow their Wii U GamePad for as long as you need to just change the settings, or wait for this to become reality:

Thanks for claryfying it :) Guess I will be offline until someone with gamepad or cheap one will come up. Thanks.
Thread can be closed for now.

oli.exe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dont really see the point of need of gamepad in the settings at all. I probably love the pro controller even more than my beloved dualshocks. I would be all over this platform if the requirement of tablet looking gamepad would be dropped :)

EDIT:
Also if I buy the LAN adapter ? Is there still any settings needed or it will automatically connect using the ethernet ?

Reactions: shinkodachi

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Dont really see the point of need of gamepad in the settings at all. I probably love the pro controller even more than my beloved dualshocks. I would be all over this platform if the requirement of tablet looking gamepad would be dropped :)

in what world you would need a gamepad with is own screen for settings
its just nintendo way to DRM it, making sure you have a gamepad...
i am surprised the console starts without one...

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may not apply to your country.

In the US most retailers have 14-30 day return policies. So you just buy a full system, setup what you need and then return it the next day and tell the store you hated the gameplay.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
He's in the Czech Republic so the best is to order online as there's EU wide consumer law that gives him a 14 day return window. The exception is that the Wi U may not be activated but that's not a problem here. :)

jacobsson

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi guys. There is actually not much magic to it :)

I use DRC-SIM server and client on one of my old laptops, this acts both server and gamepad client (planning to migrate over to a raspberry pi Zero for the server and run the android client on my phone).

First of all, you need a linux system (at least for the server side), preferably Debian-based such as Ubuntu.

NOTE: I have not tried a virtual machine for this, could be a possibility!
I've tested WSL (aka Ubuntu bash in windows), I had no control over my WLAN card there so it was a no go.

DRC-SIM server: Install
Prerequisites:
  • Linux computer with 5GHz wlan
  • curl: sudo apt-get install curl
  1. Checkout the DRC-SIM repo on github
  2. Run the curl install script targeting the dev branch listed here (note: use the dev branch!):
    curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rolandoislas/drc-sim/develop/install.sh | sudo bash -s develop
If all is good you can now start the application and give it permission to mess up your WLAN settings to eventually make it ad-hoc against your WiiU (you will no longer have internet access with this method).

Settings
For setting up the newly installed DRC-SIM this exellent reddit post is pretty much spot on:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/6krkrs/guide_wireless_screen_streaming_no_cfw_required/

The post explains what interface to choose and how to pair the device (paring is the first step of course).

NOTE: if you want internet connectivity back you can always edit your networkmanager config
  • sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
  • Comment out the "unmanaged-device" row,
  • Reboot the service
    sudo service network-manager restart

DRC-SIM Client: Run and connect
Prerequisites:
  • java 8 (not 11), check it
    java –version (Otherwise: sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk (if java 11 pre-installed you might need to set java 8 as default JRE, google it)
  • A paired and connected DRC-SIM server
  1. Simply download the client java executable (.jar) from the client repo like so:
    wget https://github.com/rolandoislas/drc-sim-client/releases/download/v2.0/drc-sim-client-2.0.jar
  2. Run the client: java -jar Downloads/drc-sim-client-2.0.jar
  3. While the DRC-SIM server is running use the search button to find your server and connect.
NOTE: again the reddit post above is pretty spot on!

That's pretty much it guys, it might have missed some minor detail. But hey, if I managed to figure it out you will too!

Last edited by jacobsson,
Reactions: V10lator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.