Set up Wi-Fi without gamepad ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by oli.exe, Feb 2, 2015.

1. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland
    Hey guys,

So I strike a amazing deal (Really ridiculous deal - cheaper that old Wii :D) for a Wii U but without the gamepad. But for that price I just jumped on it. Plus I have a old semi-broken Wii so I already got couple of wiimotes and classic controllers and sensor bar and I grabbed really cheap Wii U pro controler clone on ebay that works just great for my casual use :) Console was already set-up so great - no need for gamepad there. I do not really want to play a lot of games on Wii U since I got PS4 for that but I am interested in couple exclusives that works without the gamepad plus finally catch up with the old Wii Library of games and use the homebrew emulators.
    So here is what I did: Installed Homebrew Channel on vWii using smash bros exploit - works great, got my loader and filled the huge 1TB HDD with number of Wii games and all emulators and roms = super happy, cant complain.

But to my question: I cant access the Wii U settings without gamepad - all I want to do is set-up the wifi connection and enable the software update - I dont need anything else. Is there any possible "work-around" to set up the connection without the gamepad ? Maybe using some homebrew on vWii or possibility to import my wifi setting from my old wii ?
    Cant really even borrow the gamepad from anybody i know since literally nobody have wii u here :) It would be great if somebody knows any way. If not i am still happy, but i would love to connect the console to internet :))

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    can't you buy a gamepad with a broken screen and replace it?
    not sure about the wii u gamepad, but lots of people do this on purchasing phones.. they buy broken ones for cheap and replace the screen...

3. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland
    I checked out the prices but they are ridiculous for a gamepad. I dont want to spend that much money for the controler that I am not going to use that much :)

4. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    thats why i am saying to get one with broken screen from ebay, still expensive?

so far i know there is no way to access system settings without gamepad...

oli.exe likes this.
  5. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    You need a Wii U GamePad to change any system settings. It's stupid and archaic of Nintendo to force use of the Wii U GamePad here, but these are the facts.

The best you can hope for is finding someone who's willing to borrow their Wii U GamePad for as long as you need to just change the settings, or wait for this to become reality:

oli.exe likes this.
  6. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland

Thanks for claryfying it :) Guess I will be offline until someone with gamepad or cheap one will come up. Thanks.
    Thread can be closed for now.

7. Northern Nemesis

Northern Nemesis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Canada
    This is my NUMBER 1 pet peeve about the Wii U let me change the damn settings without the Gamepad dammit!

oli.exe likes this.
  8. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland
    Dont really see the point of need of gamepad in the settings at all. I probably love the pro controller even more than my beloved dualshocks. I would be all over this platform if the requirement of tablet looking gamepad would be dropped :)

EDIT:
    Also if I buy the LAN adapter ? Is there still any settings needed or it will automatically connect using the ethernet ?

shinkodachi likes this.
  9. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in what world you would need a gamepad with is own screen for settings
    its just nintendo way to DRM it, making sure you have a gamepad...
    i am surprised the console starts without one...

10. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    This is actually a good workaround to your current situation, didn't think of it. Yes, it's plug and play. No settings.

oli.exe likes this.
  11. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland
    Really, did you tried it ? :) I can get them for pretty cheap on ebay. That is some good news

12. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, I have it. Keep in mind the cheap ones tend to suck and not work properly. Just cough up a bit more for the official, it's rather well built.

oli.exe likes this.
  13. oli.exe
    OP

oli.exe Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    Tampere, Finland

Great, thanks for all the help ! Going to get official one in store tomorrow :)

14. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    You could also have rented a Wii U unit at your nearest video rental store.

Pip'

15. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Not necessarily an option especially if OP is in the Czech Republic. Not even sure they have that concept of renting a console. We don't have that here.

16. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    This may not apply to your country.

In the US most retailers have 14-30 day return policies. So you just buy a full system, setup what you need and then return it the next day and tell the store you hated the gameplay.

17. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    He's in the Czech Republic so the best is to order online as there's EU wide consumer law that gives him a 14 day return window. The exception is that the Wi U may not be activated but that's not a problem here. :)