Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Eon-Rider said:
The firmware does not check the actual contents of an NDS file. I have just confirmed it with a friend who owns an original R4. The NDS file should appear regardless.BULL. SHIT.[*].ZIP =/= .NDS
  • What the filters do is FILTER anything that is not a NDS or other predefined game file.
  • For example, you can set YSMenu to load .GBA games via a GBA loader.
[*]Firmware CANNOT decompress a .ZIP file.
  • .ZIP is a compressed format, you would need to decompress and then load the file.
  • The NDS isn't powerful enough for the firmware to do so internally, so it would need
  • to be doneexternally by a plugin which would require extra space.
[*]Utility does not exist.
  • To my knowledge no firmware, and certainly NOT the R4 or DSTT has any support for compressed files.
  • While there -IS- a decompression tool for the NDS it's a stand alone app and I believe it is rather slow.
While I -KNOW- it is not possible to do so, I decided to check just to humor you.
I put a NDS game in ZIP format using normal compression on my MicroSD card.[*]Official R4 Firmware v1.18:
  • Did not see the file under 'Games' -- It is NOT a game (.NDS), it's an archive (.ZIP).
  • Shows up under 'Files' -- as "Unknown".
[*]Unofficial R4li Firmware v1.24:
  • Did not see the file under 'Games' -- It is NOT a game (.NDS), it's an archive (.ZIP).
  • Shows up under 'Files' -- as "Unknown".
[*]YSMenu w/ DSTT v1.17a12:
  • Shows up under 'All Files' -- as "Unknown".
Keep digging that hole.

QUOTE(Eon-Rider @ Dec 27 2009, 07:18 PM) No, I'm not talking about the hidden file extensions. I'm talking about this:
http://i48.tinypic.com/soa9h1.png
That's hidden FILES and FOLDERS. It has NOTHING to do with extensions.
And because it has NOTHING to do with extensions, it would have NOTHING to do with NDS FILES or ZIP FILES because they are FILE EXTENSIONS.

See the checkbox BELOW your circle?
THAT is for extensions (.ZIP, .NDS, .BAT, .EXE, etc)
THAT is CHECKED by default in XP, Vista, and 7. Possibly also default in Windows Server editions.
What was the name of the file you checked? filename.nds.zip? If so, you're an idiot and have not understood what I've been saying. If not and you checked using a file named filename.nds (while actually being a renamed archive), congratulations, you just won that argument. I'd like to mention if it wasn't clear enough before, I do not own an R4DS and I know jackshit about its capabilities.

AND

You sir, are an imbecile. Go back to the post I made two posts back and re-read what I said. I wasn't talking about the file extensions anymore.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK Eon-Rider. They are not showing on the OP's DS. His/her computer shows the file. If you look at the selection below what you circled, "Hide extensions for know file types," yours is unchecked. If it was the file on the computer would look like "Mario Kart". Your computer would show "Mario Kart.zip" with the settings you have shown. Check the box and you'll see what I mean. Name the file "mario Kart.nds" then uncheck the box. You should see the file named "Mario Kart.nds.zip". "Mario Kart.nds.zip" is the file That didn't show in 2 of 3 firmwares.

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
OK Eon-Rider. They are not showing on the OP's DS. His/her computer shows the file. If you look at the selection below what you circled, "Hide extensions for know file types," yours is unchecked. If it was the file on the computer would look like "Mario Kart". Your computer would show "Mario Kart.zip" with the settings you have shown. Check the box and you'll see what I mean. Name the file "mario Kart.nds" then uncheck the box. You should see the file named "Mario Kart.nds.zip". "Mario Kart.nds.zip" is the file That didn't show in 2 of 3 firmwares.

See this is why hide file extensions is a stupid piece of crap made to hide crap from people with pea brains

Mario Kart.nds on an install with "Hide extensions" disabled = Mario Kart.nds on a vanilla install
Mario Kart.nds.zip on an install with "Hide extensions" disabled = Mario Kart.nds on a vanilla install

Except once upon a time there was something that told you whether something as a ".nds file" or a "ZIP archive"

Which brings me back to the image I posted earlier

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
a file named filename.nds (while actually being a renamed archive
No one would ever -EVER- rename a .ZIP (or .RAR) to .NDS.
If they are smart enough to show extensions in Windows, they would know that a .ZIP is -NOT- a .NDS.
If for some reason they decided to rename the Game(.zip) file, it would be Game.NDS.ZIP and it would STILL not show.

By default, Windows shows .ZIP files as a folder with a zipper, so chances are, even if they are too 'dumb' to know what a ZIP file is (which wouldn't show .ZIP, the extension would be HIDDEN), they would most likely double click it thinking it to be a folder which would OPEN IT so they could get to the .NDS file.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
Okay, please let me repeat myself in a larger font. I am not talking about file extensions anymore.
There we go.

In that second part of my post three posts ago, I was suggesting that he may have had the circled option set to Show hidden files and folders. This would make it seem like he's able to view all his file (specifically the ROMs) and folders regardless of their visible status. Flashcarts however, hide ROMs. Once again, I am not speaking with my words as the truth. I own neither a DSTT nor an R4 because both of them are utter crap. I may be wrong about this theory. I have used the DSTT firmware on my Supercard DS One in the past and it showed all files if I recall correctly but it may have changed.

Eon-Rider

Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
Eon-Rider said:
a file named filename.nds (while actually being a renamed archive
No one would ever -EVER- rename a .ZIP (or .RAR) to .NDS.
If they are smart enough to show extensions in Windows, they would know that a .ZIP is -NOT- a .NDS.
If for some reason they decided to rename the Game(.zip) file, it would be Game.NDS.ZIP and it would STILL not show.

By default, Windows shows .ZIP files as a folder with a zipper, so chances are, even if they are too 'dumb' to know what a ZIP file is (which wouldn't show .ZIP, the extension would be HIDDEN), they would most likely double click it thinking it to be a folder which would OPEN IT so they could get to the .NDS file.
Well if you go all the way back to my first post, you'll see I posted it on the basis of hundshamer claiming that the original poster may have done just that. Therefore, you can't argue against me for that.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a2h said:
hundshamer said:

See this is why hide file extensions is a stupid piece of crap made to hide crap from people with pea brains

Mario Kart.nds on an install with "Hide extensions" disabled = Mario Kart.nds on a vanilla install
Mario Kart.nds.zip on an install with "Hide extensions" disabled = Mario Kart.nds on a vanilla install

Except once upon a time there was something that told you whether something as a ".nds file" or a "ZIP archive"

Which brings me back to the image I posted earlier
Preaching to the choir. I'm just defending a suggestion. Was told my answer was a "uber fail" and am defending it. I do not know the OP's level of computer literacy. I'm just suggesting the OP check and see if that was his problem. If not, we need to find another solution, no sweat off my back, but if I'm right the OP gets a working card. Why flame me for that?

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
Preaching to the choir. I'm just defending a suggestion. Was told my answer was a "uber fail" and am defending it. I do not know the OP's level of computer literacy. I'm just suggesting the OP check and see if that was his problem. If not, we need to find another solution, no sweat off my back, but if I'm right the OP gets a working card. Why flame me for that?
I'm bored and have been watching a whole string of Zero Punctuation reviews.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol