Homebrew Sensor bar w/ Dolphin

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 20,667
  • Replies 24
D

Deleted-236924

OP
I know that I can just plug the sensor bar into my Wii and turn it on to power the sensor bar and use it with Dolphin.
The question is, will the sensor bar be powered when playing Gamecube games?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Not sure, but if you wanna check, you can see the little infared LED's it uses with a digital camera (like on a cell phone) so you could always go into a GC game and just take a look and find out.
Nintendo_wired_sensor_bar.jpg

D

Deleted-236924

OP
I know we can; I cannot try it right now because I don't have the possibility to play a GC game on it right now, asking for later.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Why do you want to know?

By the way, I don't know if interests you, but I made an app called SensorMii for sharing the sensor bar between the Wii and Dolphin. It's very simple, it just disables the Wii's ability to register Wii remotes so you can have it synced in both Dolphin and the Wii.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just recently modded a sensor bar by soldering a usb plug to it.
It's very simple and works perfectly, just 2 wires to solder.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you need two sensor bars, and we aren't all loaded like you! :P

I did it too a while ago. I just left it plugged in to the USB port on my TV (for loading pics off of a flash drive... never gonna use that) so it would be on whenever my TV was on, using for DOlphin or my Wii (both show on the TV)

You COULD also plug it in to the Wii still on an unused USB port. XD

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did it too a while ago. I just left it plugged in to the USB port on my TV (for loading pics off of a flash drive... never gonna use that) so it would be on whenever my TV was on, using for DOlphin or my Wii (both show on the TV)

You COULD also plug it in to the Wii still on an unused USB port. XD
Yup, that's how I use it also.
It works on any usb port, so also on the Wii's.

Anyway, I used a cheap battery powered s-bar.
Just soldered the wires to the + and - in place of the batteries.
WIN!

D

Deleted-236924

OP
I need to know because right now, what I do is that I turn the Wii on to use the sensor bar with Dolphin.
But there's this one of my friends who comes and brings Gamecube games sometimes, and I was wondering if it would let me use the sensor bar while he was using the Wii for GC games.
Thought I could just ask in case someone knew, so that I would know in advance, but hey.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That still means resyncing everytime you want to switch between the Wii and Dolphin.

But... You would need to anyway? The Wii remote would need to be synced to either the Wii or The BT receiver on your PC regardless of where the sensor bar is powered...

Hielkenator I got a cheapo $2 one from DX and just rewired it lol

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
But... You would need to anyway? The Wii remote would need to be synced to either the Wii or The BT receiver on your PC regardless of where the sensor bar is powered...
No. You power on the Wii with the remote, load up the HBC, and start SensorMii. That disables the Wii remote for the Wii. You then start up Dolphin and connect your remote there (or sync it for the first time). After you close Dolphin, you press POWER or RESET on your Wii, and you can use the remote on the Wii again without having to re-register it.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That still means resyncing everytime you want to switch between the Wii and Dolphin.

What has this to with the sensorbar?
The sensor bar is just a few leds powered by a "custom connection" on a wii.
It does not need any syncing at all.
Wiimotes on the other hand need syncing.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No. You power on the Wii with the remote, load up the HBC, and start SensorMii. That disables the Wii remote for the Wii. You then start up Dolphin and connect your remote there (or sync it for the first time). After you close Dolphin, you press POWER or RESET on your Wii, and you can use the remote on the Wii again without having to re-register it.

This is one hell of an overkill app to get dolphing working with sensor bar.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You can have a remote registered on more than one Wii (or Dolphin). SensorMii lets you share both a remote and the sensor bar, although it will work just fine if you have two sensor bars.

Edit: It's not about the sensor bar. It's about never having to resync your remote.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Anyone know if you could do something like this and leave the original plug on?

USB
|
L______ORIGINAL PLUG
|
|
|SENSOR|

Depends.
Wii supply is 7.5-12v while USB is 5v. So official Sensor Bars will be a lot dimmer if they could be turn on at all using USB power.

Newer sensor bars use 6 LEDs and they might work with USB supply. Older Bars that use 10 LEDs probably won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.