Hacking Sensor bar USB adapter

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Hey I just thought of something. If some of those hardware geeks could make a sensorbar-USB adapter we could potentially get the Wiimote to interface with computers(via bluetooth) and use it as a mouse!

It would be great for presentations with big screens/projectors!

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
LOL that´s sounds really hard and kinda useless
tongue.gif

You can always use a air mouse.

Gyro_neu1.jpg

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, are there any good/competetively priced ones? And do they have the full functionality of the Wiimote?
I think it would make sense to develop software/hardware to make it possible to use the Wiimotes you own anyway on your PC, too.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Well, the functionality of the Wiimote will be useless on a Powerpoint presentation
Of course it would be useless, I'm only talking about the pointing functionality. Any other sort of motion detection is useless unless you want to make a motion to the right to go to the next slide. That would be cool too.

You guys are missing the point... all I'm saying is, if you already have a Wii, why not plug in the sensor bar to your computer and use the wiimote as a pointing device.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You guys are missing the point... all I'm saying is, if you already have a Wii, why not plug in the sensor bar to your computer and use the wiimote as a pointing device.
Isn't it true that the sensor bar only senses exact positioning, but doesn't actually handle the gyroscopic interface or the button inputs? It's been said that you only need the sensor bar for games requiring precision pointing, but for games like Wii Sports and Excite Truck, you don't even need it plugged in. The Wii console itself has the sensors for the rest of the Wii remote. So that probably wouldn't help much when trying to use the Wii remote on a PC.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country

Isn't it true that the sensor bar only senses exact positioning, but doesn't actually handle the gyroscopic interface or the button inputs? It's been said that you only need the sensor bar for games requiring precision pointing, but for games like Wii Sports and Excite Truck, you don't even need it plugged in. The Wii console itself has the sensors for the rest of the Wii remote. So that probably wouldn't help much when trying to use the Wii remote on a PC.

Yes, it is true that the sensor bar is only used for exact posititioning however the motion sension capability is handled by the remote which is bluetooth. Most people have a bluetooth adapter or built-in to their laptops
smile.gif

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it is true that the sensor bar is only used for exact posititioning however the motion sension capability is handled by the remote which is bluetooth. Most people have a bluetooth adapter or built-in to their laptops
smile.gif
Yes, but most people don't have laptops.
smile.gif

It would be an interesting thing to do, though I imagine creating drivers wouldn't be so straight-forward. The concept would make future emulation a lot better, though.

nunofgs

OP
Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Yes, but most people don't have laptops.
smile.gif

It would be an interesting thing to do, though I imagine creating drivers wouldn't be so straight-forward. The concept would make future emulation a lot better, though.

True but it would still be useful to use on your desktop, or for people like me who have their computers plugged into a TV all the time.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you will have to hack the Wiimote bluetooth connection first.
I tried to interact with my Wiimote and a friend's computer that has bluetooth... Nothing happened.
I'm quite sure the Wii doesn't use Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it uses it's own proprietary protocol.

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
it is bluetooth... I can see "RVL-CNT-01" when I search for bluetooth peripherals with my cell phone after pushing the sync button of the Wii (yeah thta's the only funny thing I can do, since I don't have the console yet...)

aefwing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nunofgs has a good idea guys, and you all act like its stupid..........

lets look at a few reasons his idea ( Not sure he was the first to think of it but he was the one that started this ) is a good one and some practical uses for this:

1. IT IS AN AIR MOUSE an 11 button air mouse in fact
2. I have not found an air mouse out there any cheaper that is not broke when it is droped from more than 1 foot on carpet
3. people are starting to set up computers in there house as part of there entertainment systems. IT WOULD BE AWSOME for that
it could be your remote for your PVR (personal video recorder) system (Windows media centre, MythTV and so on..)
....... the list for the use of this goes on and on way beyond powerpoint presentations.

The fact is its already being done with a search in your favorite engine you can find videos and how to's on doing this

If you already have a Wii controller then all you need to buy is a bluetooth adapter for your computer( if it already doent have bluetooth).

the wii controller can take a licken and keep on tickin

as far as the sensor bar goes .....

you can use something as simple as 1 candle for a sensor bar or even make your own for less than $10 (USD)

SO that gets me to his original point if there is a way to plug the sensor bar into a usb slot on a computer I would like to know
because it would be easier than making my own bar (im lazy) and candle power went out of date in the 1800's

Robotic Earthlin

Trophies
XP
Country
Johnny Lee made something very similar to this a couple years ago: http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Check the whiteboard section. It's meant for you to move the infrared light (I just bought a cheap infrared LED from RadioShack) (and for those who don't know, the "sensor bar" is nothing more than a few infrared LEDs), not the Wiimote, but if I'm thinking straight, you can just hold the Wiimote upside-down and it should work properly. No support for buttons but I'm pretty sure there's another app for that.

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't notice how old this thread is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone