Hacking Sending Modded Wii back to Ninty UK!

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, has anyone in the UK actually undone their mod work on a wii, then successfully retrned it to nintendo under warranty?

My wiikeyed wii has to go back to them.

I think im gonna get around the voided warranty by buying a new console & switching drives, chipped for non-chipped, then sending the old one back with a new drive. Think I'll get away with it??
laugh.gif

I spoke to nintendo and told the guy I'd changed the case for a chrome one. He said put the old case on and write a note to the repair centre explaining this.

Not sure they'll honour my warranty.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the fact that you told them you installed a case on the Wii was a mistake on your part, that tells them you opened the console and therefore voided your warranty, you shouldn't have told them anything and you would have got the repair for free, i think i've heard of people who have sent their console to nintendo at a cost i presume with the modchip was still in there and when they got the console back the chip was removed.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I asked hypothetically about changing the case. I never gave them any details over the phone. Just my problem. Dont have a reference number or anything & didnt leave my name so there is no way they will know it was me who said I'd opened it.

Im gonna buy a new wii and switch cases bacause I've made a hole in the case of the Wii that is now jiggered. Im worrying about the serial number on the bottom of the new case not matching the serial ID from the guts of the old one. I dont need to send the box, just "the deck" he said, which I assume means just the console.

Any way around this? can the serial number sticker on the bottom be switched?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
lol you can try but i guess once it's peeled off it won't stick on again?

as you didn't leave any personal information i would say don't say anything to them now, just change the bits and pieces over and send them the broken wii for them to fix, end off.

i think the serial number will be in some eeprom on the machine itself also

that's what i was thinking aswell.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Me three.

I'll just swap the cases, and the DVD drives, send it back with the wrong serial number on.

At the end of the day, it dont matter if they say they wont fix it if I buy a new one. I'll just pay the outside-warranty repair costs on the old one, get it back fixed and sell it. I'll loose out on a little bit of money but I got about 35 games thanks to the wiikey (shhhhhh.....) so I guess I've saved £1300-ish already (double shhhhh......)
laugh.gif

Plus, the new one I buy wont have the speckled video problem either. So I win (kinda....)
ph34r.gif

EDIT** = Im just thinking, will any wii DVD drive be compatible with any wii Mobo? Cos im planning to replace the new, untouched DVD drive in my new console, with the old, wiikeyed drive from the one that is now corrupt.

Wiill this work? will different chipsets make a difference?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your best bet is to have nintendo send you out the replacement (which they will charge you for), and swap optical drives with your wiikey modded drive prior to sending it back.

essentially, you'll be sending them back everything from your original system with the exception of your optical drive (which has your mod chip on it). unlike the xbox systems, the optical drives are not keyed to a specific system's serial no.

once nintendo receives the old system back, they'll credit you back.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
your best bet is to have nintendo send you out the replacement (which they will charge you for), and swap optical drives with your wiikey modded drive prior to sending it back.

essentially, you'll be sending them back everything from your original system with the exception of your optical drive (which has your mod chip on it). unlike the xbox systems, the optical drives are not keyed to a specific system's serial no.

once nintendo receives the old system back, they'll credit you back.
Im gonna buy a new wii tonight after work.

So i'll have system A = Modded dvd, cut down case, corrupted data
and system B = Untouched DVD, untouched case, working data

Im gonna swap the modded DVD and case from A with the Untouched DVD & case from B

THen im sending A back (with B's unmodded dvd & case) in the hope that nintendo dont notice th following....

1 - that I opened it
ph34r.gif

2 - that Its got a case with a different serial on it to the one that it was bought with
ph34r.gif

3 - that the DVD drive is different to the original it came with
unsure.gif

4 - that i've got saves for super paper mario on a PAL uk console.
wacko.gif

Hopefully I'll be ok.

And @jalaneme - thanks for the linK!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Having other region saves surely is never a cause for alarm. I bet there are a lot of people on Gamefaqs that try pal saves when they needs cheatz to gets through their marioz and polkymons!

Besides, I doubt they care about your savegames at all or would even notices.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I really want is an insider, to blow the doors off the process the ninty tech guys go through.
ph34r.gif

I think they'll test my wii, to see the corruption message & the specks on the screen then replace it. I doubt they'll try to fix both probs. But I'd like to know fo sure.

I guess Ijust gotta wait n see.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the fact that you told them you installed a case on the Wii was a mistake on your part, that tells them you opened the console and therefore voided your warranty, you shouldn't have told them anything and you would have got the repair for free, i think i've heard of people who have sent their console to nintendo at a cost i presume with the modchip was still in there and when they got the console back the chip was removed.
Yep your right the mod chip isnt the bi deal why the warranty gets voided its the part; Opening your wii
I mean telling you skinned your wii with a new case is actually as worse as saying you chipped it(Well it would be worser if you live in an country where Mod-Chips are illegal, Legalize now!
tongue.gif
well its legal in the netherlands so im happy )

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm confused... if you're buying a new wii, why not just mod that wii and be done with it? I mean, either way ypu're going to have one broken and one working =/

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm confused... if you're buying a new wii, why not just mod that wii and be done with it? I mean, either way ypu're going to have one broken and one working =/

Right, lemme explain...

Im gonna buy a new one then swap the chippedDVD drive & case into it. Send the now non-chipped, broken one back (because its fubar'ed) get it fixed by nintendo (if they will honour warranty) then sell it to recoup my £180.

At the momnet, i have a broken wii, that is deffo not covered by warranty, due to the 6 wires soldered to the DVD drive & the massive hole in the back of the case with a Dsub mounted in it.
laugh.gif

Hopefully, after this, I'll have a working, chipped new wii (with old DVD drive)
and a repaired (under warranty) old wii (with new, unchipped drive) which I intend to sell/swap to recoup my costs.

cardyology

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
basically you want to get two for the price of one correct? @Hit yes basically telling them you open your wii by any means will void your warranty.
Na man, Im not after two wii for the price of one.

I just want one, that works, is wiikeyed and that I have paid £180 ish for.

I will achieve this.
I have a wiikeyed wii, which has become corrupted and needs to go back to nintendo.

When I spoke to nintendo I TOLD THEM NOTHING.

TO ACTUALLY ADMIT TO OPENING MY WII AND VOIDING MY WARRANTY WOULD BE SILLY. THEY TOOK NO, REPEAT NO DETAILS FROM ME (NAME, ADDRESS ETC, ETC)

Sorry, I think that needed to be clarified.
smile.gif

On my way home from the office this evening I picked up another, new wii.

I will now,

1. take the DVD drive out of it (the NEW one I just got)
2. Take the wiikeyed drive from the other, broken wii
3. put the wiikeyed drive into the new Wii
4. put the new drive into the old wii
5. send the old wii back to ninty
6. Wait for nintendo to repair it and return it to me or replace it (the OLD, corrupted one with the new DVD drive, Im on about)
7. I will then sell the OLD one which has been fixed by nintendo. I will make the buyer aware of the issues I've had, as I am a fairly moral individual.

Hopefully, nintendo will "write off" my old wii as dead and send me a replacement, which I will be able to sell for nearly full price (or trade in towards a PS3 in gamestation
laugh.gif
) but if not, I'll just recoup as much money as I can on it.

I think this long-winded and costly method was my only option really. I know it seems daft but I'll end up where I wanna be as long as nintendo dont pull me up on the drive not matching the console or something else. And its worked out ok for me cos I'll have a wiikeyed wii up and running by the end of tonight! Yay!( my NEW wii with OLD, WIIKEYED dvd drive in it, provided it works out ok...)

Sorry for massive post but I just wanted to make clear to every one what it is im doing. Thanks for you advice everyone, GBA temp has been great as always
ph34r.gif

Any more comments./suggestions?

sketch143

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd laugh if those things had a sticker to keep your from opening them. If it did, you'll most likely be denied of manufacturer warranty for both machines.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
well you are very lucky that you are able to take out the drives and stuff i have no idea about that stuff so if something goes wrong, *touches wood* at least i can maybe send it back to the place where i got the wii modded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love it for most things most stores you just shows the receipt online and they scan it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Makes it easy for incompetent restaurant staff that don't know how to hear an order
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mostly for big purchases, I want it in my hands before I pay. Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc) But yea if I can order online, then pickup at store is ok, but not all places offer that.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    > Like a tv, I trust picking it up myself, before I'd trust it being sent thru mail/delivery. (Broken screen, etc)

Thing is, if you break it driving back to your house, it's your fault. But if the delivery driver damages it, it's not your fault.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most people that haul big tvs have empty trucks or know enough not to set it face down
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then I gotta send it back and wait another week or two. I have a pickup truck, with a extended cab, so no prob for me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most manufacturers pack it well enough where they aren't that dumb to let it happen
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They building a new Microcenter store near by me, is kinda scary. That's my favorite place, I'm like a kid in a candy store there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what's a microcenter?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool I'll make you ship me stuff
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microcenter sells high quality microwaves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Computer store basically, but they sell everything, like game systems, tvs , 3d printers, etc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've seen i9/mobo deals for like 400
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea been itching to build a new pc, mine is like 3-4 years old, ancient in pc tech time. Still using a sata SSD even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's still high tech to ancientboi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda cool, I can buy a second Xbox for guests, and download all my purchased digital games to it, and play on both xboxs same time. Didn't know they allowed that. 2 xboxs per Xbox account.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2: A toaster is "High Tech" to me
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No we told you to stop taking baths with them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is crazy to think, you used to be able to build a decent PC for $300-400. Those days are way gone.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $600 gets you a decent one
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, too expensive
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Uremums expensive
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Uremums cheap, she even takes coupons still. She put a dollar on her head, and said "all you can eat, under a dollar."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta save a dollar where you can get a dollar
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta save a dollar where you can get a dollar +1