Self Hosting Wii U Exploit - Smallest possible footprint?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by bootmonster, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bootmonster
    OP

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    Hi all,

I am currently in the processes of running the exploit on my Wii U, and since I'm not interested in online play etc, was looking for a wholly offline self hosting solution.

I currently own a LINKSYS WRT54GL, which is running dd-wrt, though I am probably looking to change to openwrt unless anyone can recommend otherwise? I can host webpages on this fine from what I understand, though haven't as yet.

The main issue I see there being is that the router I have only has 4 MB of flash memory on board, and the dd-wrt/openwrt image takes up the majority of this. There is an SD/MMC mod I can do to the router but would rather avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

So the TL:DR, what is the smallest possible size I can make the self hosted web data, or has someone done something similar? For now all I really want to do is launch Loadiine, and dump a few of my games :)

Cheers for any insight!

2. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Host it from a PC, or a VM.

3. looseless

looseless Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    Once you flashed openwrt, use uhttpd to serve your exploit. Works fine here.

4. bootmonster
    OP

Oct 26, 2002
    Thanks for the replies guys but what I'm really needing to know is what is the smallest size I can make the exploit to store on the web server?

5. Straximus

Straximus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    About 125K.

6. bootmonster
    OP

Oct 26, 2002
    Amazing, sounds like I will be able to run without having to mod in an SD card to my router. Can you elaborate on what I would need to do to slim down? Thanks :)

7. Straximus

Straximus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    Sure. The only files you need to host are:
    index.html 3.9k
    payloadXXX.html 117k (XXX = your firmware version)
    sd_loader.elf 3.1k
    frame.html <1k

You don't need payloads for other firmwares. And I believe frame.html can be left off on 5.3.2, although its size is negligible anyway. The above file sizes are based on the 4.1.0 & 4.0.0 exploits bundled with GX2 v0.2, and I'm assuming other firmware exploits are similar sizes.

I self-host on a WRT54Gv2, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Straximus, Mar 20, 2016
  8. bootmonster
    OP

Oct 26, 2002
    Thanks! Much appreciated, I'll let you know how I get on. :)

9. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I have a similar setup with DD-WRT, but I'm using a USB storage device to host the files, mostly because I can't figure out how to transfer the files to the filesystem, it complains about the fs being read-only. I imagine my router has enough space, especially 125k

Any pointers? I don't want to waste a USB device just to host such small files

10. bootmonster
    OP

Oct 26, 2002
    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/JFFS Is probably what you are looking to ebable. :)

11. Straximus

Straximus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    I didn't attempt it with DD-WRT. I initially tried Tomato as I already had it loaded, but ran into limitations I couldn't work around. I loaded OpenWRT, created the path /overlay/www/loadiine, rebooted, and used WinSCP to transfer the files to the path I created.

You can then access the payload at http://<ipaddress>/loadiine

Last edited by Straximus, Mar 21, 2016
  12. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Thanks, I'll look into it
    Unfortunately my router only has custom builds available for DD-WRT, pretty lucky consider the stock fw is complete garbage