Homebrew Seems Neimod made a little more progress.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
And this is coming from neimod, who knows the 3DS better than anyone else in the homebrew scene (or probably in Nintendo :P)
Right. Someone who hasn't hacked the 3DS yet and thus didn't get a chance to explore the inner working of the 3DS yet knows the 3DS better than the company who built the 3DS. Makes a lot of sense :D

Reactions: 2 people

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And this is coming from neimod, who knows the 3DS better than anyone else in the homebrew scene (or probably in Nintendo :P)
Right. Someone who hasn't hacked the 3DS yet and thus didn't get a chance to explore the inner working of the 3DS yet knows the 3DS better than the company who built the 3DS. Makes a lot of sense :D
Thanks for saying that. Now that makes a lot of sense. XD

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
We already have a way to backup a 3DS card Legacy says they have a way to run them too maybe the hardware part neimod is talking is about a modified 3ds cart + an exploit resulting the 3ds to run code from the cart? but i believe somehow he will have access to sd and run the unasigned code from there just sayin

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While it will probably only be aa hardware hack at first, this will eventually lead to some kind of software hack.
Did you read the IRC log posted above? neimod made it quite clear a software hack will almost certainly not be possible (at all). Because of how the 3DS works, you cannot load new code. Assuming you find an exploit, the best you can do is jump to other (already existing and loaded) code. You'd then have to exploit THAT code (breaking out of the kernel) as well to be able to load custom code. He is 99.9% sure purely software homebrew will not be possible. And this is coming from neimod, who knows the 3DS better than anyone else in the homebrew scene (or probably in Nintendo :P)
I see, even so I would assume some sort of code could be loaded from another part of the nand, kinda like what you said about jumping from other code, but with this code being unlocked. But even if this isn't possible, a hardware exploit would still be good. I would definitely be on board for that, even if it is just a proof of concept, loading custom code is always good!

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know it dont sound like he is talking about a simple cart slot HW solution ,it sounds more like something like haveing to open the console and solder something to the ram , he says most people wont just be able to do this at home, so assume it would need to be a hard mod ,internal ,no?

"

• a tiny ram interposer for example, would do the trick

• [18:56:44] but that's something not everybody can do at their home

• i can haz software mod?
i can haz r4 3ds homebrew?

NOOO

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bwaaah so many commas :wacko:
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the hacking scene always hits us with a surprise. One day we can say we won't have software homebrew, the next day it could be made possible. Ima just sit back, and await the progress.

ShadowSora13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So i guess there will be a pure hardware modification :/ although maybe i say maybe if 1 gets hacked(by hardware) and we have access to the keys maybe it will result to software hack although they encrypting seems unique and random generated...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So i guess there will be a pure hardware modification :/ although maybe i say maybe if 1 gets hacked(by hardware) and we have access to the keys maybe it will result to software hack although they encrypting seems unique and random generated...
The only keys that can be attained from the 3DS are per console keys and the public/common key. The private key (used to sign software) cannot be found from the 3DS (unless Nintendo messed up in quite a major fashion), so nothing especially useful comes of keys anyway. (It allows looking at code more so, but the code loaded in RAM is not encrypted I'm fairly sure, so neimod can already look at unencrypted code).

EDIT: Also, to clarify (as apparently it is necessary for some), my "probably in Nintendo" comment was a joke.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Reactions: 1 person

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Neimod speaks:

http://pastebin.com/kAGDB2Gd
http://pastebin.com/SsVzL8x2

Don't read the second one if you don't like bad news.
Prob should be made into a new topic
Why? It fits fine in this topic, which is about neimod's progress. Making a new topic will just draw it to the attention of noobs who won't understand it and will think it means something more than it does. (Or something better)
Because they are exciting new chatlogs buried in a topic intended for something else, and with the scarcity of information, I think it would be topic worthy.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So was Nintendo right? http://www.computera...cy-problem-thq/

I guess the 3DS will not get hacked but get leaked (if ever).
And it might happen too late (after the next gen console comes out)...

Actually, as far as I'm concerned that would be about perfect. If the 3DS doesn't get hacked until the "4DS" or whatever comes out, then developers can't say they lost sales, and there'll be no excuse for repeating the shovelware tsunami that happened with the DS. (It'll still happen though, cuz they're full of shit.) But, at least to some extent, there should be a better catalog for us all to enjoy when the flashcarts/softmod/etc) finally come along. And that's a-ok by me. There are still TONS of GBA and NDS titles I haven't played or even given a try. And when the 3DS is all said-and-done, there'll still be plenty of 3DS games I'll want to play ... and right about then I wouldn't mind at all if someone came along with a way to make that a little easier for me.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know it dont sound like he is talking about a simple cart slot HW solution ,it sounds more like something like haveing to open the console and solder something to the ram , he says most people wont just be able to do this at home, so assume it would need to be a hard mod ,internal ,no?

"

• a tiny ram interposer for example, would do the trick

• [18:56:44] but that's something not everybody can do at their home

• i can haz software mod?
i can haz r4 3ds homebrew?

NOOO
I can remember on the PSP (Back a ways) They had a chip that you had to solder on the board of the machine. It looked really hard to do and was expensive as i recall. If such a thing did come out for the 3DS i would suggest using that wire glue.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Neimod speaks:

http://pastebin.com/kAGDB2Gd
http://pastebin.com/SsVzL8x2

Don't read the second one if you don't like bad news.
Hm, from what I've understood, the system needs to be downclocked to do some RAM explotation (a-la 360's RGH) which should loosen things a bit...

I'm okay with a hardware solution (especially if quite hard to do). Keeping n00bs out of this will highen the chances that the exploit doesn't get closed after a week :ph34r:

Reactions: 3 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want GBA and SNES emulation on a nice, big screen, how about getting a machine that already does it perfectly fine, for example the PSP which nowadays sells for next to nothing?

I put my expectations higher - I will only be satisfied with Saturn, Nintendo 64, PSX and (wishful thinking, the 3DS isn't nearly beefy enough to make it playable) the Dreamcast. Give me that and perhaps some good old MAME and I'm sold, running to the nearest store to get a 3DS.
Everyone says it sells for "next to nothing" but I can't find one for under $50.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
When did this conversation take place?
The first, on or before 25th June. The second, on or before 9th July. I would guess the conversations probably took place quite shortly before these dates. Why?
Because in the second conversation neimod asked about the location of the logo file.I was just wondering if he was preparing the last posted picture on his Flickr account, posted on 6 April. Then this conversation was much older.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, his partner is Luke