Hardware Seems like Thanos finally snapped on those intel prices...

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to admit, for the longest time, I was pretty frustrated when I would see Youtube channels like PhilsComputerLab and (especially) Tech Yes City bragging about being able to do ultra cheap gaming builds on second-hand Xeon chips and x58/x79 platforms in their respective regions. If only because the last time I even saw a second-hand x58 board it was with a first-gen i7 and the seller in question wanted $500 for the set with no memory or anything, while these YouTube players/hustlers were able to do the whole machine with even a legit Windows key for less than that. Then, if I looked for something compatible with my X99 motherboard, I would see some quacks charging something like $4000 for a used Xeon for the system.

Yet, now, or at least, as of yesterday, it's almost like there was a Thanos snap for at least prices on some CPU's. Broadwell chips like the 6900x are still stupidly priced compared to the first-gen Ryzen that matches their performance ($500 for a 6900x vs $120 for a Ryzen 1700), prices seem like they're finally dropped for most of the X99 compatible CPU stack out there. That said, for as bombastically weird as intel's Core i# numbering schema is for mainstream and prosumer level CPU's like the HEDT ones, I can't make heads or tails of the Xeon series. Considering how many v's and E's there are, I'm of the opinion whoever came up with the xeon numbering schema should be shot, because it makes no flipping sense.

My current main PC has a 5820K. While I do have a z370 board I could do a 9900K in presumably, I still want to have something to make this X99 system still somewhat viable even if I instead stick with it and ride it out for the next so many years. I've seen a few listings on eBay currently even showing second-hand 12-core Xeons for the platform for around $200 which would be fantastic, if I knew that say, they could handle some overclocking to erase any clock speed deficit they might have toward my present i7 CPU.

Guessing I need some pointers to figure out which CPU's I should look for to give my present build some long term viability. If it matters, the motherboard is an X99-SLI, which I bought at the time because I noticed that with most of the ones on the market at the time, if you had a 28-lane CPU, they seemed to make a lot of the cpu PCI-E lanes disappear, whereas this board was one of the few that didn't; in theory allowing up to a 3-way crossfire, or 2-way SLI plus still some lanes for an NVMe SSD and other goodies. Moving on...

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Can you get the 6950X? And OC the frick out of it? Cause that's the only processor I can think of that is a good enough upgrade to your 5820K. The Xeon equivalent to that is a XEON E5-2689v4 but they're all still to pricey. Honestly, the cheapest sustainable upgrade for you would be jumping to Ryzen.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you get the 6950X? And OC the frick out of it? Cause that's the only processor I can think of that is a good enough upgrade to your 5820K. The Xeon equivalent to that is a XEON E5-2689v4 but they're all still to pricey. Honestly, the cheapest sustainable upgrade for you would be jumping to Ryzen.
Not really. Just CPU and board alone would set me back $700. Everything Broadwell based is still marked up to hell... 6950X has the cheapest price at $750, and it goes wayyyy up from there.

Already got a z370 board on hand... but $500 for an 8-core 9900K just doesn't make as much psychological sense to me, as a 12-core at ~$200, yanno?

Last edited by codezer0,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later